Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2010, 06:58 PM

4 posts, read 6,355 times

Advertisements

Looking for advice about moving to Scottsdale:

I am a female in my 20s and am moving to Scottsdale for a job in the 85253 zip code. I am looking for a safe apartment to rent. I would like access to shopping, a night life, and work. Will someone give me some advice on where or where not to look?
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 08:06 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
The 85253 ZIP code is all safe. You could also go north into the 85254, or south into the Old Town area, which is 85251. All would provide shopping, night life, and access to your job.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:57 PM

Are there any specific apartment complexes you could recommend me to google?

Old 08-01-2010, 10:44 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
I don't live there, I'm not familiar with names of any of them. What I would tell ANYONE is to come and stay in one of the extended stay hotels in the area you are looking around for a week or two and look around, see for yourself an area you'd like to live in. You can't pick an apartment (or any place to live) on the internet.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:28 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,057,787 times
the 85253 zip is the incorporated Town of Paradise Valley, primarily....not to be confused with the geographical part of northeast City of Phoenix called Paradise Valley....you may find an apartment in this zip code near the Shea Blvd and Scottsdale Rd intersection, but it will be pricey, as the T of PV is considered one of the most expensive areas for housing in the southwest....and apartments are rare in the T of PV....it's mostly large single-family homes on an acre or more....

as observer said, 85254 and 85251 are next door and very, very nice alternatives.....well, they are barely alternatives as they are great bases to be in, anyway....they won't be bargains, either, but will have a much wider choice of apartments and prices....

too many apartment complexes to list individually....I do also recommend first staying in one of these long-term "hotels" for a few weeks while you scout the area and decide what works for you....gives you some breathing room and a chance to avoid a mistake.....

you'll probably have to drive everywhere here....lots of traffic out here....can we ask approximately where you're working so we can maybe make some more specific comments?....

Old 08-02-2010, 02:13 AM

805 posts, read 2,000,361 times
I agree with checking out 85254, it has a newer appearance and feel than 85251, some people like the older feel and some like the new look. both are close to great shopping and activities, if you are looking for more night life i'd say that is definetly near the 85251 area. However, in all three areas discussed you are within 10 minutes of old town scottsdale (longer during rush hour).

I lived at the Tradition at Kierland which is at 64th st and greenway parkway, just west of scottsdale rd. it was a great area and i never had any issues at the complex

Old 08-02-2010, 06:27 AM

I am working around the T area of Scottsdale and Shea. The extended stay hotels may be a good idea, since I am sure the rush hour traffic in that area is very busy.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:50 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,057,787 times
Scottsdale and Shea is a very convenient intersection and seems to have all you'd need to live your entire life within a mile or less!.....it's a very busy area, though, and people speed a bit all around there....be careful...you can walk to many businesses if you live in the area....and, bluntly, there are some people in the area who seem very self-important.....

you may find some apartments in the area SW of that intersection along 70th St., Gold Dust, Mercer, and other streets....(Scottsdale Rd is equivalent to 72nd St)....but they will not be a bargain....if you need to cut costs a bit and have a car, check out apartments near Paradise Valley Mall, about three miles W of Shea and Scotts....the entire PV Mall area from Cactus down to Shea along Tatum is great, but also very busy and not cheap (but one small step below Scotts prices)....this area is the 85254 zip code, which uses a Scottsdale mailing address, but is in the City of Phoenix.....

what is the "T area" you mention?...I've been in the area for many years and have never heard that term...

as enigma says, 85251 is downtown Scottsdale (about five or six miles S of Shea and Scotts.), so a bit older feeling, but very popular with young, hip professionals who like the nearby hip clubs and are often in debt up to their necks....the popular term "30K millionaire" often applies to 20-somethings in Scotts.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area