Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 06:47 PM

4 posts, read 61,794 times

Advertisements

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone!
I am a Michigan resident looking to reolcate from Michigan. I am trying to decide where to live, and looking at Phoenix area and Flagstaff.... but I am also open to any suggestions.
Here are my criteria:
a. Best city for challeging outdoor activity
b. Good city for young persons, no retirement communities, please ( I am 25)
c. Cost of living cannot be sky-high (ok, no Sedona!)

I would love to be able to get outdoors at any time of the year comfortably. Keep in mind I live in Michigan, so anything above 40 degrees is comfortable!

Thanks so much, everyone!
Stephanie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 07:06 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,136 times
Flagstaff
Has everything you are seeking
But its expensive
Are you going to rent or buy?

Old 02-05-2007, 07:37 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,149 times
Default Flagstaff!!

They are so incredibly different, you should really visit both b/c chances are if you love one, you won't love the other, so you'll know.

Having said that, Flagstaff is fantastic. I would not hesitate to move there. Phoenix is much more urban/suburban, shopping malls, desert has been replaced by grass which costs a fortune to water...I really don't like Phoenix. Not my style at all.

But Flag...now THAT is a fun town (if you're into the outdoors and like a change in seasons). I would say though, that if you're not liberal, you'll have a hard time as a young person there. I have always loved it for that flavor, but a conservative would not do as well I would imagine..

2nd choice in AZ for what you're looking for (but totally different) would be Tucson. TUcson is desert, and hot though. Flag is pine trees and snow in winter, and grass, and just totally different.

Old 02-05-2007, 07:38 PM

6 posts, read 51,397 times
Wow, funny, I am originally from Michigan. I moved to Phoenix 3 years ago. I go to Flag as often as I can, so I can help you out. The thing about Phoenix and Flag is that you could not find 2 cities that are more different. Think Flagstaff= Ann Arbor, Phoenix= Detroit. It really depends on what your looking for. Flagstaff is really outdoorsy, friendly, progressive. It has a tight knit community that's pretty liberal. However, there are no jobs in Flaggstaff; unless you want to work in the service industry. Phoenix is very spread out, people are unfriendly, but the economy is strong. Flag is without a question where you want to move if you are looking for outdoor activities. The air pollution is really bad in Phoenix so outdoor activites can be happered by this. It also takes quite a long drive to get out of the city and into the mountains. Flagstaff is cold, but it's also sunny. It's not like Mich when you can go 3 weeks without sun. The weather in Phoenix is great, you can count on it being sunny every day, but in my opinion it does not make up for it's flaws. I've met A LOT of people that have moved to PHX from Michigan and almost everyone admits that the people here are extremely unfriendly. I would chose Flag over PHX any day. Me and my wife feel we made a huge mistake by moving to PHX. The housing in PHX is affordable, Flag houses can get really expensive. If you do move to PHX make sure to find out what area to live because crime is very bad in some spots. My advise is to choose Flag if you can find a job there. Good luck!

Old 02-05-2007, 10:31 PM

Thanks for the advice! I think Flagstaff is it, then, if I can find a J-O-B, and a place to live. I was planning on renting for the first year anyhow, to make sure I get the house I want for a decent price, and not just buy something because I am moving. I am quite liberal, so that will work for me, as well. I have been to Phoenix, and I liked it, but maybe a lot of that is because I was comparing it to Michigan. Gotta get outta here.

Also, KUMA, what would you say about the winter temps in Flagstaff? I have heard it pretty much stays at 40 during the day, but then I have also heard it is "so cold." Compared to Michigan, 40 is pretty good, I'd say. (We have "snow days" in my district today, and tomorrow because it is so cold, no snow) Is that about right for Flag or does it get colder?

Anyone have any advice on affordable housing in Flagstaff??

Old 02-06-2007, 12:26 AM

6 posts, read 51,397 times
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxcli...nav_undeclared

Here's the average high/low for Flag. The cold in Flagstaff is no joke, but it's not as bad as Michigan; at least during the day. It's really strange you can get a sunburn in the middle of winter. Plus the desert is really close. What part of Michigan are you leaving?

Old 02-06-2007, 07:55 PM

I am leaving Southeast Michigan, more specifically Washington Twp/Romeo area. I am just finishing up my MA in special education here and then I hope to be on my way, but like someone said, there are no jobs in Flagstaff.
I was looking all afternoon and found nothing.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:51 PM

112 posts, read 425,079 times
Default Phoenix VS Flagstaff

Stephanie,

Arizona is a retirement state. Phoenix has a large retirement community and is also right next to Sun City, a retirement community. Flagstaff is a university town and Democrat, liberal, professional, educated, friendly and definitely NOT a retirement town. Having said that, I must say Flagstaff IS extremely expensive, especially the housing. Rents are atrocious and the average single family home is going for well over $350,000. Flagstaff has surpassed Sedona as the most expensive place to live because the millionaires of Aspen have come here. It is an environmentally conscientious town but there are definit haves and have-nots. The haves are the second-home buyers along with those millionaires. I love it here in Flagstaff but the expense is very hard to deal with. Arizona is a Republican (means pro-business) right-to-work state which means low wages and they can fire you at will. Even though most of Flagstaff is predominantly Democrat, the wages are still low and businesses have no problem dumping workers.

If you are thinking of Prescott or Prescott Valley, Dewey/Chino Valley area, don't bother. They are very retirement-centered and unfriendly.

Tucson is Democrat, but the illegal immigration issue and the huge influx of them has made Tucson look like a third-world city. Just try getting decent, clean hotel rooms or service in Tucson. You won't.

Welcome to Arizona.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:32 PM

27,336 posts, read 27,387,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuma View Post
Wow, funny, I am originally from Michigan. I moved to Phoenix 3 years ago. I go to Flag as often as I can, so I can help you out. The thing about Phoenix and Flag is that you could not find 2 cities that are more different. Think Flagstaff= Ann Arbor, Phoenix= Detroit. It really depends on what your looking for. Flagstaff is really outdoorsy, friendly, progressive. It has a tight knit community that's pretty liberal. However, there are no jobs in Flaggstaff; unless you want to work in the service industry. Phoenix is very spread out, people are unfriendly, but the economy is strong. Flag is without a question where you want to move if you are looking for outdoor activities. The air pollution is really bad in Phoenix so outdoor activites can be happered by this. It also takes quite a long drive to get out of the city and into the mountains. Flagstaff is cold, but it's also sunny. It's not like Mich when you can go 3 weeks without sun. The weather in Phoenix is great, you can count on it being sunny every day, but in my opinion it does not make up for it's flaws. I've met A LOT of people that have moved to PHX from Michigan and almost everyone admits that the people here are extremely unfriendly. I would chose Flag over PHX any day. Me and my wife feel we made a huge mistake by moving to PHX. The housing in PHX is affordable, Flag houses can get really expensive. If you do move to PHX make sure to find out what area to live because crime is very bad in some spots. My advise is to choose Flag if you can find a job there. Good luck!

Well said, Kuma! I, for one, will vouch to that one, as a former Phx resident, but many Phx and/or Valley residents will highly disagree.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:40 PM

2,201 posts, read 2,514,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephParry View Post

Anyone have any advice on affordable housing in Flagstaff??
YES, my advise is there is no affordable housing in Flag. Its a nice city and there is plenty to do, expecially if you enjoy the outdoors. There is a college environment with the Lumberjacks there.

I lived there for, ohhhh about 18 months. I bought my 1800 sq ft home (3bed, 2.5bath) for, i think it was 310k, sold it shortly after for 335k. I then came to MO and purchased a 3500 sq ft house (5br, 3.5 bath) for 320k brand spankin new on 4 acres.

The housing market is way out of this world. A lot of Calf people found that land was sooooo cheap in Flag, they bought it all up and now it has skyrocketed. I enjoyed the city but would not move back due to the high housing market. I wish you good luck in whatever you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area