Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 4,712 times

Advertisements

My family is considering a move from Chicago to the Phoenix area. We are two moms with three young children. I would work in Scottsdale and would like to get feedback on an area that would be welcoming and embrace our family. We also want a good solid school system. Does anyone have any advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 01:08 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Tempe, Chandler would be my first choices, Scottsdale would be fine, too. Most people in those areas will mind their own business and be either tolerant or openly accepting, good neighbors are good neighbors.

Old 08-14-2010, 05:23 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,224,977 times
I can't find the more recent article, but there's this...
Judge blocks Arizona law on domestic-partner benefits

I believe they're trying to appeal that and end domestic partnership benefits.

There's also this, that didn't pass, but the second to last paragraph shows it's not over...
Bill to give married couples advantage in adoption

Neither may be precisely relevant to your situation, but it will give you a good idea of the political environment in regards to equality and tolerance.

As for neighborhoods... there's a larger GLBT population in Phoenix between roughly McDowell-Bethany Home/7th St-7th Ave. I think you'll find neighborhoods in that box to be more tolerant. I'm sorry, but the only school I can think of in that area is Central High, though I'm sure there are elementary and middle schools in there somewhere. It'll be a bit farther to drive than living in Tempe or Scottsdale, but you would be going against traffic. I would strongly advise against looking in Gilbert, Mid- to East Mesa and any southeast communities. There was a gay/lesbian neighborhood bar in downtown Chandler that was reasonably busy, but I think it served people in Ahwatukee and the southeast Valley ... but I know people frequently would come out of the nearby neighborhood just to yell out slurs.

In sum, I think your best bets would be that area of Phoenix I mentioned as well as a smaller community in East Phoenix, north Tempe and south Scottsdale.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:19 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,568,295 times
If I were you, I'd stay away from Gilbert - Mormon central. Nuff said about that. I think you are safe in living in the upscale areas of Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, and so forth.

I have gay and lesbian colleagues. One in Queen Creek came home once to see his house vandalized. He did not say whether or not he believed it to be a hate crime. The lesbian friend and her partner live near the north side of South Mountain I think. I think in general, Phoenix is safe for alternative lifestyles. By virtue that it's the fifth largest city in the U.S. I like diversity because it enriches our culture and economy.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:29 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Honestly, you could probably live in a number of areas. Nobody would look twice at your family in the central Phoenix neighborhoods mentioned previously. There are other communities that would be OK. I don't know a lot of female couples in Phoenix, but I know a lot of male couples, and they live all over the place, Old Town Scottsdale, North Scottsdale, Central Phoenix, Biltmore, etc. Unlike the City of Chicago, there isn't a massive concentration of same sex couples in one or two specific areas. There are a number of places where nobody would pay much attention to you.

Definitely skip Gilbert, reasons already stated.

Old 08-16-2010, 02:18 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
The Central Phoenix area described above would fit your criteria from a diversity standpoint. Two of our three representatives in the legislature are from the GLBT community as well as the president of our neighborhood association. The schools, though, are lacking. If I had school aged children I would send them northward to Madison Elementary district for K-8, bypassing the the local Phoenix Elementary and Osborn Elementary districts. For 9-12, it gets no better (Phoenix Union High School District). I'd suggest alternatives like Brophy/Xavier (somewhat expensive Catholic schools) or Arizona School for the Arts (a free college prep charter school).

Old 08-16-2010, 05:29 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,224,977 times
Oh hey, another thing you may want to consider is this map. It's by precinct and regarding voter response to the same-sex marriage ban in 2008. The white areas are the most tolerant, but the darker it is the worse it may be for you. The most reviled Gilbert is the darker area south of Mesa.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:21 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
in the map, that white area under the word "PHOENIX" is the area mentioned before that centers on the 7th St to 7th Ave, Indian School to Camelback area....if Phoenix were to even try to say it had a "gayborhood", that would be it....some call it the Melrose district.....

also, phxgreenfire says Gilbert is the darker area S of Mesa on the map....I don't see any noticeably darker area S of Mesa (it's all the same - on the conservative side), but Gilbert is S of Mesa....I'd avoid Gilbert, anyway....but you don't have to be in the gayborhood, either....areas of downtown Scottsdale (artsy area) are fine....all of Tempe might work....probably other spots in central Phx, too.....

Old 08-16-2010, 10:12 PM

568 posts, read 1,205,680 times
Check out the Coronado Historic District, too...many lesbian couples here, very diverse with friendly neighborhood atmosphere.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:19 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
in the map, that white area under the word "PHOENIX" is the area mentioned before that centers on the 7th St to 7th Ave, Indian School to Camelback area....if Phoenix were to even try to say it had a "gayborhood", that would be it....some call it the Melrose district.....

also, phxgreenfire says Gilbert is the darker area S of Mesa on the map....I don't see any noticeably darker area S of Mesa (it's all the same - on the conservative side), but Gilbert is S of Mesa....I'd avoid Gilbert, anyway....but you don't have to be in the gayborhood, either....areas of downtown Scottsdale (artsy area) are fine....all of Tempe might work....probably other spots in central Phx, too.....
All great points. This also points to the saying "keep home and work separate" there is much wisdom in that saying. Work doesn't need to know home life is. If you are like many people in this city make sure your work environment is ok with that kind of thing.

Gays are ok with me. I welcome you to the Phoenix area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area