Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 08:17 PM

164 posts, read 773,348 times

Advertisements

I'm sure it has an impact, but not sure how much. I think you can use vaulted/high ceilings to your advantage in some situations (cool sinks), but it does increase the total cooling load. I think other things, like surface area of roof, windows, how many windows face S or W are much bigger factors!

In a 2-story, I think a much bigger effect is having lots of space open the 2 floors with big lofts. Our last house in CO had that with wall of windows facing S to boot and it was impossible to cool the upstairs without over cooling the downstairs (cold air from upstairs just fell down to 1sr floor), or heat downstairs without roasting upstairs. Dual zone HVAC helps, but I'm glad our new house has limited open areas between the levels! Everywhere is the temp is should be and we keep the upstairs 3F hotter during the day and the downstairs 2F hotter during the night (thermodynamically, won't go more than 2F hotter than upstairs no matter what the AC is set to(in our house)).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2010, 10:51 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,481,088 times
True. That's why I said that you have to look at exposures, windows, etc. which really are more impactful, particularly on cooling costs, than ceiling height. Trees and other shade outside are other factors. Two story homes, especially with a single unit, present their own set of issues, especially with the full open areas as you describe.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:42 AM

1,169 posts, read 5,274,441 times
Try this simple experiment. On a hot day measure the temperature at the top of your high ceilings. Now turn off your air conditioner for a day and measure the temperature again. If the temperature is the same both days then you aren't spending money to cool the upper portion of your room.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:54 AM

164 posts, read 773,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
Try this simple experiment. On a hot day measure the temperature at the top of your high ceilings. Now turn off your air conditioner for a day and measure the temperature again. If the temperature is the same both days then you aren't spending money to cool the upper portion of your room.
Actually, that's a flawed experiment since even if there was no heating cost the temp the second time would be higher because the air below it would be hotter, which would conduct heat into the higher air. Heat doesn't travel up and down the same, so that's not equivalent to cooling. You're not isolating one factor.

Think of how your hot water heater works (cold water flows in the bottom, as water is heated it rises and floats on top where it is syphoned off, a stratified fluid). Of course air doesn't stratify as well as a liquid, and fans and AC vents cause mixing. If I reversed the hot and cold pipes, I'd have a totally different heat transfer problem!

In my case, I have a 2-story with a tall entry, high ceilings downstairs and reg upstairs, but otherwise 2 sep levels with sep HVAC. During the day, I don't cool the upstairs much, so the upstairs and the high ceilings act as a thermal insulator from the HOT attic and roof. Very little of the exterior is exposed to S or W solar radiant heating, so the extra load from having taller walls is negligible. In the evening, I don't run the downstairs AC much, but it will suck some cooling from upstairs, but that should be independent of the height of the downstairs ceilings. So, without running numbers it looks to me like the extra cooling load IN MY CASE is probably pretty small.

BTW, generally programmable HVAC controls save $$, but I won't let DH upgrade our up/down manual ones since we're ALWAYS home. I just change the settings when I get up/get ready for bed. Just another example of how it's tough to generalize.
Of course I'm just tweaking your tail, but the truth is I'm too lazy/busy to run the calculations for my own home let alone come up with some generalized truths. There's definitely a cooling cost, but how significant? I think it is much less than other factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area