Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2010, 12:25 AM

6 posts, read 29,442 times

Advertisements

I have been looking to buy a house in AZ for some time now - esp due to the fact (like so many others) that I have very serious health issues that no one in the Country knows anything about, except the Mayo Clinic (& John Hopkins, MD). I currently live in CT & while only in my early 40's, absolutely cannot tolerate the insanely volitale weather here (winter & summer w/ the brutal 100% humidity) that just about cripples me.
Anyhow, regardless of the Mayo or not - I just have always loved living in AZ & I know things have changed drastically since the last time I lived there (Mesa) when Chandler and esp. Gilbert were considered out in the sticks w/ hardly anyone wanting to drive there - nothing like now

For the past year or so, I've been looking at different areas to buy - from Anthem last yr (but not fond of the one way in/ out + too many quality/build issue & expansion probs) to Surprise, Waddell, and Litchfield Park. Almost bought a SS house in LP, which I got lucky when the deal fell thru (seller's lender pulling a fast one trying to get more $) - which led me to look in Surprise only (bigger homes/ larger lots for more reasonable $). I had thought I found the perfect home (former model w/ pool & huge lot) in Northwest Ranch - which was good & bad, with the close proximity to shopping (but traffic) on Bell. Then maybe I got lucky when the SS lender took waaaay too long to approve (or rather, re-approve) the sale - after doing an early inspection & found major major things wrong w/ what was a somewhat older house - for Surprise. NOW I am in contract on a foreclosed house - that will actually end up closing (probably in Sept), located in Sierra Montana. While I initially thought it was too far out, the fact that I don't have to worry about a job (now being permanently disabled/ retired) & only having to go to Mayo 1x/ month, I figured that it's not so so bad.

The one thing that is kind of bugging me though, is that I really don't know too much about the development. While I had always liked (but hard to find a reasonably priced home in), were dev's like Rancho Gabriela (my fav), Ashton Ranch, some in Legacy Parc, & even Westpoint (but much older homes, that may need more work in the long run). Though I am definitely getting a great bargain on a much newer foreclosure (w/ minimal to no repairs needed - other than cosmetic - oh, and a pool) - I really have no idea of what to expect of Sierra Montana. I've read a few older threads here (after the fact), that there are a lot of renters there - which makes me a little nervous, as they may not have as much 'pride' in home upkeep - compared to a mostly owner occupied dev. Then also wondering what 'type' of people are the majority there as well. Are there more older vs. younger? A lot of kids or very few? More down to earth, or more 'snooty'? or what the overall quality of the homes, neighborhood is?

My realtor says aside from Rancho Gabriela, she has many clients that also ask her to find homes in Sierra Montana. While she is absolutely great & does a lot for me, I still have to remember that she's still a realtor (and she lives on the other side of the world, in Scottsdale
SOOOOO - I would greatly appreciate it if ANYONE (preferably living/lived in Surprise), can give me an HONEST OPNION of SIERRA MONTANA. As crazy as it may seem, I am buying this home all the way from CT & have nothing much to go on other than what I see online & what my realtor says & shows me via her iPhone pics. It is super important to me to feel safe in my home, esp when I'm hoping to once more spend most all of my time hanging out in the backyard - at any given time of day or night. It would also help to appease my family, who are absolutely freaking out that I'm moving back out there - but this literally is the last chance I have to regain some quality of life vs. staring at the same 4 walls (for the past 5 yrs) back here in the brutal Northeast.

I thank anyone that has taken the time to read this (sorry, my pain Rx makes me a little 'chatty') - and especially thank anyone that can give me an honest opinion of whether I chose the right area of Surprise or not.

Last edited by Gem615; 08-26-2010 at 01:05 AM.. Reason: too long!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 12:57 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,977 times
Several years ago Sierra Montana was a very nice neighborhood. I had considered buying there (when it was brand new). It still is a nice neighborhood (the city of Surprise is a nice suburb, too), but it seemed as if there was an especially high number of foreclosures there after the market fell. I also believe there may be a large number of rental homes. That may or may not make a difference.
It's in a pretty good location, and once the Loop 303 is finished, and once the mall goes up (once the economy picks up again), I would think that would be a high-demand area. I don't think it would be a bad choice. Then again, I don't live there....

Old 08-26-2010, 02:40 AM

6 posts, read 29,442 times
Thank you for putting my mind at ease (sort of

Don't like to see the 'was' a nice neighborhood, or the 'large number of rental homes' so much - but keeping my fingers crossed

Had no idea that a mall was to be built out there - do you have any idea of approx where its suppose to go (i.e. street/ cross st)?

Speaking of, do you know of any shopping in that area? I see one grocery store on the map - but everything else seems to be up on Bell

Thanks again for your help!

Old 08-26-2010, 05:44 AM

1,112 posts, read 3,998,264 times
The mall is part of the 'Prasada' development, which stretches along the 303 from Greenway to Cactus. The mall itself is going to be on the southeast corner of Waddell and the 303.

Sierra Montana is still a VERY nice neighborhood - One of the nicer in Surprise. But this area is fixing to BOOM (even if the economy never gets back to the level it was previously at, this area is going to boom). In the future, this is going to be a VERY high traffic corridor in the west valley.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:56 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,977 times
Quote:
Don't like to see the 'was' a nice neighborhood, or the 'large number of rental homes' so much
I said "was" because I moved from Surprise to out-of-the-area back in '05. (I have returned to the area and now live in Goodyear). I did drive through Sierra Montana a couple times last year, it still seems nice. I think a number of the foreclosed homes were purchased by investors and that's why there seems to be a large number of rental homes there. It's quite possible that once the market rises, those homes will be placed for sale.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,703 times
Since you may have doubts about owning in Sierra Montana and since there seem to be some rentals available why not consider renting there to see if you like it before committing yourself to a purchase. This will also allow you to look around and decide what you want to do. There are a great number of good houses to rent in the area. Winter rental rates are higher during Dec. - Mar. than in the other months. If you rent on a yearly basis you can probably find more reasonable rates. Good Luck in whatever you decide. WNR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area