U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 03:00 PM

5 posts, read 14,869 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are snowbirds looking to buy a winter home in the Queen Creek or San Tan Valley area. We would like to end up in a subdivision that is predominately snowbirds. Is this possible and if so, which subdivisions? We're not in to the "gated" communities.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 04:19 PM

2,942 posts, read 5,859,453 times
Don't know if this helps, but it might....

Active Adult Living 55+ Communities in Arizona, AZ

Old 08-26-2010, 04:35 PM

80 posts, read 263,313 times
Hi Snowbird, I am retired but not a snowbird, I live here year around now, just moved here about 15 months ago from Seattle. I live in Gilbert, and not in a retirement community but we do have quite a few neighbors that are also retired that live right around us. The community is called "Greenwood Lakes"
It is on a golf course and VERY convienent to everything. We love it here and highly reccomend it! There are a lot of snowbirds just north of hwy 60 in Mesa. We like to go to the Superstition Market over there.
I am familiar with the Queen Creek area and I suggest Gilbert instead. We are about a mile from the SanTan Mall and just close to everything! If you want more info send me a message. Richard

Old 08-27-2010, 02:42 PM

Thanks Ritchie_az. I will have a look at the links.

Also, thanks for the suggestion Richard. Although we would like to stay around QC, we are always open to suggestions. I will look at the listings for Gilbert.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:05 PM

8,874 posts, read 14,371,403 times
I'm not one who is prone to obsessing about "crime" the way so many people today do. That said, wouldn't a neighborhood that was largely populated by snowbirds be an open invitation to house burglars? Especially if it isn't gated?

Lively neighborhood activity is a detriment to crime. It's been proven beyond doubt that when people hole-up in their homes because they fear what's going on in the streets, their actions invite incidents of crime. They're not staying safer, they're actually increasing the level of crime that goes on around them.

A neighborhood chock-a-block with homes that are empty six months of the year is not going to be very appealing, so the overall property values would probably decrease over time for everyone. Furthermore, how'd you like to be the permanent resident who has neighbors on every side who want you to "keep an eye on" their house all the time? I have only one of those and he's annoying.

I agree with Ritchie that an active adult community with an organization that is in charge of things while you're coming and going at your leisure would be best for your situation and the safety of others.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:29 PM

214 posts, read 904,339 times
Anthem at Merrill Ranch. Its a master planned community in Florence, which is about 5-10 min away from Queen Creek. There are a lot of seasonal residents there, both on the Sun City 55+ side, as well as the in all ages community. They have lots of amenities like a golf course, recreation center, pools, parks etc.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:11 PM

81 posts, read 321,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
A neighborhood chock-a-block with homes that are empty six months of the year is not going to be very appealing, so the overall property values would probably decrease over time for everyone. Furthermore, how'd you like to be the permanent resident who has neighbors on every side who want you to "keep an eye on" their house all the time? I have only one of those and he's annoying.
i used to have a "part-timer" living behind me who actually got angry and quit speaking to me when his house got burglarized and i didn't see anything!! in fact, i'm not so sure he doesn't consider me a suspect, lol!!

Last edited by wuds; 09-02-2010 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: spell check

Old 09-02-2010, 03:46 PM

652 posts, read 2,490,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I'm not one who is prone to obsessing about "crime" the way so many people today do. That said, wouldn't a neighborhood that was largely populated by snowbirds be an open invitation to house burglars? Especially if it isn't gated?

Lively neighborhood activity is a detriment to crime. It's been proven beyond doubt that when people hole-up in their homes because they fear what's going on in the streets, their actions invite incidents of crime. They're not staying safer, they're actually increasing the level of crime that goes on around them.

I agree with Ritchie that an active adult community with an organization that is in charge of things while you're coming and going at your leisure would be best for your situation and the safety of others.
I agree with everything except for your comment that gated subdivisions are safer. Gates really don't do anything except make people think they are exclusive and they keep invited guests/pizza delivery drivers out.

I've lived in gated areas before and given the choice I'd choose an area that wants to be part of the community rather than wants to be separate and exclusive from the community.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:53 PM

9,321 posts, read 17,170,278 times
There are plenty of snowbirds at the Trilogy/Vistancia across the road from us. They are opening some new models that start in the $150,000 which is rather low for that development. I think the models open this weekend and maybe there are incintives as well. Be worth checking out. Very safe community and I personally would rather have a home there than Queen Creek but then budget may dictate where you look.

Old 09-03-2010, 04:52 PM

Thanks for all the good comments and suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area