Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 09:56 PM

8 posts, read 23,948 times

Advertisements

My friend just moved back to Phoenix and she wants me to move there too. Any ideas of safe, reasonably priced homes in a area that offers alot to do for a single woman and her 2 dogs? My friend says N. Scottsdale but i dont think i can afford it. Maybe Mesa? How is the city itself, too crime-ridden?
Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 10:06 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
When I was single w/animals I lived in downtown Tempe and loved it. A lot of college students but also a lot of artist and nature loving dog walkers. Very open minded, cool people. I would move as close to downtown Tempe as possible. Mill Ave and University area.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:17 PM

thanks will check it out!

Old 06-28-2007, 12:23 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,648,581 times
We used to live in Las Vegas for almost 3 years to start up one of our companies there. Moved back to Phoenix almost 3 years ago. Living in Phoenix is quite dull compared to Vegas (I actually preferred living in LV) - the crime is much worse in LV than Phoenix - but I guess Phoenix is good if you are ready for a much slower paced lifestyle. Every night here is not a weekend night as it is in LV. If you are going to come to Phoenix, I wouldn't contemplate Mesa - general Scottsdale, Tempe, North Phoenix areas....if you are younger and college-aged then Tempe near Mill might do it for you.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:15 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
We used to live in Las Vegas for almost 3 years to start up one of our companies there. Moved back to Phoenix almost 3 years ago. Living in Phoenix is quite dull compared to Vegas (I actually preferred living in LV) - the crime is much worse in LV than Phoenix - but I guess Phoenix is good if you are ready for a much slower paced lifestyle. Every night here is not a weekend night as it is in LV. If you are going to come to Phoenix, I wouldn't contemplate Mesa - general Scottsdale, Tempe, North Phoenix areas....if you are younger and college-aged then Tempe near Mill might do it for you.
I used to live in Vegas for a year too. I couldn't wait to get back to Phoenix. The kids were young at that time. I liked Phoenix better, but still visited Vegas 4 times a year

Old 06-30-2007, 05:38 PM

15 posts, read 49,810 times
susanh,

this is a great time to move back to phoenix. The prices have leveled off and there are some good deals all over the place, even in Scottsdale. As far as affording it, my friend just used a killer loan program. It is a grant program from Maricopa County, it gives you 5% towards down payment and closing cost, for first time home buyers or people who have not owned a home in three years. I am not sure if you qualify, but if you want more information, let me know and I can send you the lenders name that she used. brianmyers@cox.net But back to the question, there are a ton a good and safe places for you to live. What is reasonably priced?

Old 07-01-2007, 12:13 PM
JMX

313 posts, read 1,174,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanh View Post
Any ideas of safe, reasonably priced homes in a area that offers alot to do for a single woman and her 2 dogs? My friend says N. Scottsdale but i dont think i can afford it.
Look into the Northeast Phoenix area. You can be a part of the North Scottsdale scene without paying the North Scottsdale prices.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:19 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,648,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I used to live in Vegas for a year too. I couldn't wait to get back to Phoenix. The kids were young at that time. I liked Phoenix better, but still visited Vegas 4 times a year

Living in Vegas - you either love it or hate it. My husband hated it and could not wait to get back either. I'm the oddball out.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:47 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,028,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squires74 View Post

As far as affording it, my friend just used a killer loan program. It is a grant program from Maricopa County, it gives you 5% towards down payment and closing cost, for first time home buyers or people who have not owned a home in three years. I am not sure if you qualify, but if you want more information, let me know and I can send you the lenders name that she used.
According to my son who is a mortgage broker, this program ran out of money about 3 to 4 weeks ago. My other son is buying a house and he would have qualified for the program....unfortunately the money is gone!

Old 07-01-2007, 04:36 PM

thanks for all the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area