Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 03:34 PM

66 posts, read 281,110 times

Advertisements

I am from Alexandria, VA just outside Washington DC and considering moving to Tempe AZ, not sure how soon. I am interested in the music therapy program at arizona state and though this site is resourceful, I also find that some people on here get into fights and distract from any non-biased opinion that would have otherwise been helpful. I am asking for advice from people, good or bad, but I am mainly interested in the truth. Any experience is welcome, thank you for taking the time to read this post.

I am mainly interested in cost of living, food, crime, things to do, art culture, parks.. but any helpful advice on the university or anything else is welcome.. this is a free for all.

have a good one and peace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 09:44 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
Cost of living (housing & food) will most likely be less then what you have back in the DC area of the country. Crime occurs in some areas more then others, but they are typical of all large cities. So it’s important to know and understand the neighborhoods you might want to live in. Art and culture is one thing that I would think is less then what you might have in Alexandria area, however you’ll find what you want if you look for it.

The university is more known for being a “party” school more then others, however again you’ll find what you look for or want to avoid.

I have to add that one important thing you’ll discover is the heat. If you’re not happy with hot temperatures and sunny dry days the area can be a problem for some. It takes a year or two to get recalculated to some of the changes you’ll encounter.

I’ve lived in the area for 30 years now and the changes that have occurred are not always for the best. The political flavor for the area and state can be trying and seems to be backward at times with the national thinking from across the country. One of the biggest problems in the state has been the budget (as with many states) however this state government cut medical care benefits for kids, reduce and cut money for schools and discontinued full day kindergarten. Short-term focus instead of long term needs seem to be the government thinking in Az. and discontinuing social needs of the people.

IMO

Old 03-24-2010, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,377 times
I do not live in Arizona, but when looking for places to live there, I've found Tempe to be somewhat more expensive than surrounding cities. However, that still puts them cheaper than most other metro cities in the U.S.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:22 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfella View Post
I do not live in Arizona, but when looking for places to live there, I've found Tempe to be somewhat more expensive than surrounding cities. However, that still puts them cheaper than most other metro cities in the U.S.
I browsed apartment listings for Phoenix on CraigsList a few days back and found Tempe to have the best prices. I was thinking it must be because it's a college town.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:15 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacdeming View Post
I am from Alexandria, VA just outside Washington DC and considering moving to Tempe AZ, not sure how soon. I am interested in the music therapy program at arizona state and though this site is resourceful, I also find that some people on here get into fights and distract from any non-biased opinion that would have otherwise been helpful. I am asking for advice from people, good or bad, but I am mainly interested in the truth. Any experience is welcome, thank you for taking the time to read this post.

I am mainly interested in cost of living, food, crime, things to do, art culture, parks.. but any helpful advice on the university or anything else is welcome.. this is a free for all.

have a good one and peace.
Being from the DC area; Tempe and/or central Phx (both enclaves are along the Light Rail) may be your best bet if you are serious about moving here. I know of what I speak of since I am a Wash DC native, born and raised.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:26 PM

3 posts, read 11,515 times
What can you tell me about Casa Grande as I am thinking of moving there?

Old 03-26-2010, 09:34 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdycrayon View Post
Don't move there unless you like driving miles to everywhere with less opportunity than Tucson.

Tempe is a good choice for anyone.

Old 03-27-2010, 09:50 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowdycrayon View Post
Rowdy, it might help to know why you want to move here and what you would be doing, etc.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:26 AM

2,747 posts, read 3,317,672 times
I grew up in the DC area so I know it fairly well. I live in Tempe now. Phoenix is a nice place to live and has a lot of things going for it (desert scenery, low cost of living, plenty of things to do, good weather)but it has a huge drawback-job quality in Phoenix tends to be quite poor and i am probably going to move somewhere else because of the difficulty in getting a high quality job. Besides medical, education and real estate there are not many good quality jobs here since there is a lack of well educated-skilled people here (unlike the DC area). If you are moving here just to goto ASU that should not be a problem but if you want to stay after you graduate then moving to Phoenix might not be a good idea. Tempe is a pretty nice place to live-get an apartment near the light rail (my complex has 2bdr for 600 and i can walk to the light rail in a few minutes) and with ASU within walking distance u can see games, cultural events nearby. Food like rent here is usually inexpensive-lots of decent and inexpensive sushi, mexican and indian, etc restaurants in the valley.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:04 AM

66 posts, read 281,110 times
thanks every body
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area