Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 08:34 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,898 times

Advertisements

Hello Phoenix C-Ders!

For this upcoming Labor Day weekend I am trying to escape Fort Collins, CO for a place where I can get some more heat before winter quickly sets in here. I have been thinking about traveling by myself to a classy resort or nice hotel in the Phoenix region. I am noticing that the prices are still very low relative to what they are during the winter.

I am looking for a modern and trendy resort with a nice pool. I truly, truly, truly do not want to stay in an older resort no matter how nice they may be.

I was looking at Hotel Indigo in Scottsdale, but I have read countless reviews about non-stop noise noise in all parts of the hotel.

If you have experience staying in any modern, local resorts/hotels can you please give me some recommendations? My budget is pretty flexible, so all suggestions are welcomed! I would also prefer to stay in the eastern part of Phoenix or in Scottsdale if possible!

Thanks so, so, so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 10:31 PM

11 posts, read 20,479 times
W Scottsdale if you want typical W trendy, or a Starck inspired modern, retro and eclectic hotel in Hotel Valley Ho. Both are excellent, located in Old Town Scottsdale and close to Fashion Square.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:02 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,400 times
Here's a list of hotel and food deals here in Phoenix. A few of the links will take you to more deals.

azcentral.com blogs - azcentral.com Deals - realdealsblog - Labor Day weekend deals

Old 09-01-2010, 12:26 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Hello Phoenix C-Ders!

For this upcoming Labor Day weekend I am trying to escape Fort Collins, CO for a place where I can get some more heat before winter quickly sets in here. I have been thinking about traveling by myself to a classy resort or nice hotel in the Phoenix region. I am noticing that the prices are still very low relative to what they are during the winter.

I am looking for a modern and trendy resort with a nice pool. I truly, truly, truly do not want to stay in an older resort no matter how nice they may be.

I was looking at Hotel Indigo in Scottsdale, but I have read countless reviews about non-stop noise noise in all parts of the hotel.

If you have experience staying in any modern, local resorts/hotels can you please give me some recommendations? My budget is pretty flexible, so all suggestions are welcomed! I would also prefer to stay in the eastern part of Phoenix or in Scottsdale if possible!

Thanks so, so, so much!!

The W would be good.

If you stay near Scottsdale Fashion Square- be sure to check out Yogurtland it's across the street from the mall. They are going to have Blood Orange Tart and Pumpkin Pie frozen yogurt flavors any day now.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:35 PM

214 posts, read 961,685 times
Hotel Valley Ho is trendy and modern...great location as well

Old 09-01-2010, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I've settled on the W in Scottsdale for this weekend. I leave tomorrow evening. Super excited! I'll have to report on my trip once I return to CO. I lived in Las Vegas for a number of years, but have never made it down to Phoenix. I am way happy to make it back to the desert again. Hope it's nice and hot!

I will check out Yogurtland! There are a number of frozen yogurt places in Fort Collins, and I have basically spent my summer building my addiction. Now I can't go more than two days without my fix.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:54 AM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I've settled on the W in Scottsdale for this weekend. I leave tomorrow evening. Super excited! I'll have to report on my trip once I return to CO. I lived in Las Vegas for a number of years, but have never made it down to Phoenix. I am way happy to make it back to the desert again. Hope it's nice and hot!

I will check out Yogurtland! There are a number of frozen yogurt places in Fort Collins, and I have basically spent my summer building my addiction. Now I can't go more than two days without my fix.

You're welcome.
Hope you enjoy your vaycay here in the sunny AZ!
Yes, it is very hot here in deed!

Let me know how you liked Yogurtland and if you tried their Pumpkin Pie and Blood Orange tart flavors or not

I've become a frozen yogurt addict over the last few months too!

Old 09-03-2010, 02:01 AM

146 posts, read 482,005 times
How can you possibly consider the Hotel Valley Ho to be trendy and modern? That place is great if your 55+ but for anyone who wants to have a good time you're **** out of luck.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:21 PM

Thanks for everyone's help! I had a great time over Labor Day. The hotel was AMAZING. I had NO idea that Phoenix was so big.

Friday's 111 degrees was a shock, but I quickly acclimated back to the heat. I took a nice hike in the Phoenix mountains off of Lincoln on Friday morning. There were quite a few other hikers out. I was amazed at the scenery and the idea of a desert mountain park right in the heart of the urban area. I spent quite a bit of time driving around Scottsdale and Paradise Valley. I drove to downtown Phoenix on Friday afternoon. I wanted to walk around a bit, despite the heat, so I parked at the structure on Van Buren across from the bus/light rail terminal, walked around downtown, and walked up Central all the way to Thomas. It was quite the walk in the 111 degree heat, but it was fun looking at all the quirky shops, restaurants, and people along the way!

I then took the light rail from Phoenix to the Tempe/ASU area, got out and walked around a bit, and then took the light rail back to my car. The light rail was honestly kind of dingy and had a lot of off the wall types on, shouting, cursing, and carrying on, but the scenery was interesting nonetheless. Tempe was beautiful with its downtown and beautiful ficus trees.

That night I drove up to Pappadeaux to have dinner with some friends. Quite the amazing meal. Afterwards, we went back downtown for First Friday events at the Phoenix Art Museum and on to a bar in the area.

Saturday I mainly hung around the pool for most of the day, then hopped in my car and drove west on Indian School as far as I could go. It's amazing how large Phoenix is and how much it channels Las Vegas and to an extent, Los Angeles. It was also interesting how development seemingly stopped abruptly to transform into agricultural lands. I drove through Glendale and then up through Surprise and finally worked my way over the loop freeway to take me back down to the I-10. I ate with my friends at Ra in Scottsdale and called it a night.

Sunday I rested by the pool again, then took the 101 loop freeway down to the Chandler Mall, right off of the freeway. What an amazing mall! It was packed with people and I couldn't get over the ethnic diversity I saw: Asian, Muslim, Hispanic, Black, and White. It looked like most of the people were doing pretty well financially from all the bags the were carrying! I then drove through Mesa, back to the 202 loop freeway and to dinner at Grand Lux.

Monday was spent packing and catching my flight back to Denver to be greeted by 70 degree weather!

I was very impressed with the Phoenix region and really hope to go back and see more again.

Autumn07 - I did make it to Yogurtland..... 4 times.

The Orange and Pumpkin flavors were amazing, as well as their Mango frozen yogurt. I found out that Denver has 2 locations in addition to 2 Pinkberries, so I will definitely be going again. Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:56 PM

422 posts, read 792,050 times
Awesome! I was planning to take a similar trip this season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area