Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2007, 11:32 AM

8 posts, read 29,759 times

Advertisements

Looking for other German Natives like myself in the Phoenix Area. Are there any out there?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 02:59 PM

919 posts, read 3,396,309 times
Check out the Black Forest Mill restaurant on Indian School/50th. St.

Lots of great beer/food deals during happy hour in the casual sports bar. They have a more formal fare in the main dining room (with German bands on certain nights). It seems to attract a lot of expats.

Link

Old 12-27-2007, 03:02 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,314,867 times
I have had several professors at ASU who are from Germany.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:08 PM

Default joininaz

Is that Black Forest Place where the German Corner used to be? We went there 2 summers ago and they closed.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:57 PM

919 posts, read 3,396,309 times
Default Ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinacusa View Post
Is that Black Forest Place where the German Corner used to be? We went there 2 summers ago and they closed.
They reopened this year with a new owner who is doing a really good job of injecting some new life into the place. As mentioned, there's a new "bright" bar area which could pass for any sports bar in town - with plasma TVs, etc. I'd guess it would be a good place to watch Euro soccer. The happy hour is half off beers and apps, which are mostly German and very wallet friendly. There's still a store that's part of the building selling sausages as well... I've noticed small crowds on Sat. mornings but have yet to stop in.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:43 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,747,546 times
There used to be a lot of German pilots who trained near Luke AFB...I think in Goodyear. My older daughter went to preschool with a couple of German children.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:59 PM

72 posts, read 253,175 times
Currently, Holloman is hosting the German Air Force and there is even a deutschschule in Alamogordo.

Luke is where just about all allies train to use the F-16.

Many years ago a friend did her ethnography on German stuff in the Phoenix area. I think there is a place on Camelback somewhere, but I don't know. It has been years and years.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,700 times
Hi there Marina,
my husband Gerd and I just moved from Philadelphia to Chandler in November and we're also looking to meet some fellow Germans!
Have you had any luck yet?? Or do you know of any german clubs or something like that around here?
We have a 3 year old daughter and I would really like for her to meet some other german speaking kids.
Hope to hear back from you ... viele Gruesse und tschuess ...Aino

Old 12-28-2007, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisu View Post
Hi there Marina,
my husband Gerd and I just moved from Philadelphia to Chandler in November and we're also looking to meet some fellow Germans!
Have you had any luck yet?? Or do you know of any german clubs or something like that around here?
We have a 3 year old daughter and I would really like for her to meet some other german speaking kids.
Hope to hear back from you ... viele Gruesse und tschuess ...Aino

I 've known a few german people, of which some already return back to the homeland. I have some grade school kids, but there german is the same as any GI's, who'd been station there (poor with other words).

As far as I know there aren't any German Clubs, once in a while there is a Deli or the Heidelberg Bakery on Indian School & 24th Street., where you meet other fellow germans.

When you first meet some germans here you get so exited to use your language, but beware, some of them escaped their habitat to perform their mischief here. (Asoziale)! That can be somewhat embarassing out in public.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:04 PM

15 posts, read 46,671 times
We're here too -- in Central Phoenix with a three year old. I know there is a stammtisch in Tempe on Friday evenings. We have met two other German-American couples through ASU. More the merrier. PM me if you want to get together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area