U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 07:29 AM

96 posts, read 276,126 times

Advertisements

Hi. I've been looking at homes for sale in the Phoenix metro area and noticed that there are tons of listings in San Tan Valley community. I'm well aware of the foreclosure situation out there, but does anyone know why there are so many in STV? Is it a high crime area, etc.?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 08:51 AM

17,823 posts, read 38,655,699 times
No, but a lot of people moved to places on the fringes like STV, Queen Creek and Maricopa because they could get a lot of house for their money. Many of them were people who shouldn't have been deemed qualified for the mortgage in the first place, but back then they were passing out mortgages to anyone who had a pulse, practically. When the housing market crashed, and/or adjustable rate mortgages adjusted, and the economy generally went downhill with unemployment going up, a lot of those people couldn't keep up. It has nothing to do with crime. It is a VERY long commute for someone working in the city, however, if that matters to you.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:58 AM

Oh, ok. Thanks for the info. Not concerned about commute time, as I would rather be in a newer, slightly rural type area. My concern is more about safety than anything else. Do you know that area as far as what is out there? I've been reading some other posts and get the impression that there isn't much as far as shopping/restaurants in that area.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:31 AM

17,823 posts, read 38,655,699 times
I'm not familiar with what's out there. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:16 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,191,394 times
The area is building up. You won't find as much out there as you would in places like Tempe or Mesa or Chandler but the San Tan/Queen Creek area has the basics. I have family out there and the only complaints they have is the commute.

Depending on what area you're in you should have easy access to Fry's, banks, gas stations, Wal-Mart, the usual fast food joints, Mexican and Chinese, good pizza and other various shopping places.

Not a bad area at all. It just boomed to fast and the bust was brutal. It will correct itself one day. No crime worries.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:03 PM

5,037 posts, read 8,285,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl67 View Post
Oh, ok. Thanks for the info. Not concerned about commute time, as I would rather be in a newer, slightly rural type area. My concern is more about safety than anything else. Do you know that area as far as what is out there? I've been reading some other posts and get the impression that there isn't much as far as shopping/restaurants in that area.
There is a lot of shopping & restaurants in Queen Creek, as well as things to do. (There is a performing arts center there, as well as a brand new equestrian center, for examples.) Here are a few links to get you started.

Queen Creek Marketplace and also here.

Queen Creek Olive Mill & Restaurant

Schnepf Farms

San Tan Flat

Town of Queen Creek

Old 09-14-2010, 07:09 PM

Thanks for all the great info everyone!

Old 09-16-2010, 10:04 PM

412 posts, read 619,664 times
From what I've seen it seems like QC and STV are ghost towns during working hours.... was amazed at how few people I saw during the day there. Every car was headed into Chandler/Gilbert.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:20 PM

10,720 posts, read 18,448,409 times
Oh just wait, someone living in San Tan Valley will now tell us they live 15 minutes from the airport or Tempe. The people on the outskirts always have to fabricate and pretend they live closer to the central part of the Valley than they normally do. Let's hear it "I live in Queen Creek and I'm only 25 min from downtown"...it's coming.

There is absolutely no reason to live there in this economy. At one point, it did make sense to live there because it had the cheapest housing around and the rest of the Valley was outrageously expensive but now you can buy affordable housing in any city in the Valley so there is no reason to live in Queen Creek. And if someone answers "Well, some of us prefer a more remote area" My answer to that is: "Then why live in a large city at all. Go live in Flagstaff or Sierra Vista if you prefer small town living. You will have better weather, cleaner air and a lower cost of living" It makes no sense when people provide that answer.

You have to think about this too. What kind of people do really cheap areas attract? Think about what your neighbors and community will be like. I'm not arguing you have to live in Paradise Valley or North Scottsdale but the very bottom priced communities come with their own costs

Old 09-16-2010, 11:33 PM

1,673 posts, read 3,798,639 times
AZRIVER,

But no matter what the time is, on a RELATIVE basis the outskirts are still cheaper. I happen to be able to live anywhere since I work from home, and would much rather have the 140K house HERE in CG that I have than anything I could get for that same 140K closer to the valley. Many families are now able to have room for their kids to have seperate bedrooms instead of sharing etc...

I dislike it when people use "absolutes" (i.e. there is absolutely NO reason for someone to live in QC? Come on). Are some of the risks of the bottom priced communities you mention real? Absolutely. But they are just that - risks. They dont ALWAYS occur.

Every person's situation, wants, desires, and needs are different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area