Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 10:05 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,570,003 times

Advertisements

Are there no indoor public pools in the NW Valley area (Sun City, Peoria, Glendale, Surprise, somewhere around there)? I hate the 4-1/2 feet outdoor wading pool they try and pass of as a real pool in this 55+ complex, and am really missing a true swim pool that goes to (gasp!) 10 feet. Are there none in this entire area?
Are there none in the entire city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 10:32 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
I Google searched, started with Peoria, their public pools are closed until spring 2011 (they are at three of the high schools). You can google the other cities and do the same, if you don't get direct response here. Public pools that go to ten feet are going to be rare if not nonexistent, as most public pools don't allow diving, and it's only the pools that accommodate diving that go that deep (We had one in the house in Phoenix that I grew up in (50's vintage) ).

Last edited by observer53; 09-13-2010 at 10:41 PM..

Old 09-13-2010, 11:03 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,485,099 times
Maybe the YMCA by 59th and Greenway. I know they do scuba qualification there.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:02 AM

163 posts, read 577,034 times
Default 24 hr fitness

we are members of 24 hour fitness and their Sport Clubs have indoor lap pools and spas... We love our membership there we can swim any time of day. Goes to 5 feet though.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:11 AM

This is amazing to me that Arizona has only these dinky 5 foot pools. Can you not dig deeper in the clay here to building 10 foot pools????

In Illinois you find 10 foot public outdoor and indoor pools all over. I am simply amazed...like there are no qualified folks to be life guards here to allow 10 foot pools. Since I love to swim, this is the biggest negative about Phoenix I've found so far.

And swimming in a 4-1/2 foot pool or 5 foot pool is a totally different feel than swimming in a deeper pool. As for water jogging, which I used to do all the time in Illinois, you can forget it in a shallow pool like is here unless you're into scraping your feet on the pool bottom which hurts. I am so disappointed in Arizona pools....

Old 09-14-2010, 06:38 AM

146 posts, read 482,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
This is amazing to me that Arizona has only these dinky 5 foot pools. Can you not dig deeper in the clay here to building 10 foot pools????

In Illinois you find 10 foot public outdoor and indoor pools all over. I am simply amazed...like there are no qualified folks to be life guards here to allow 10 foot pools. Since I love to swim, this is the biggest negative about Phoenix I've found so far.

And swimming in a 4-1/2 foot pool or 5 foot pool is a totally different feel than swimming in a deeper pool. As for water jogging, which I used to do all the time in Illinois, you can forget it in a shallow pool like is here unless you're into scraping your feet on the pool bottom which hurts. I am so disappointed in Arizona pools....
Digging more than 5ft increases the prices dramatically. When we had out pool built, we wanted it to be 10ft deep, a diving pool. Just to get to that depth it cost twice as much as if we were to keep it at 5ft.

You have to dig out boulders, clay, sheet rock, etc. We do live onto of a dry seabed, AZ used to be a shallow sea.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:26 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
I really don't understand the fussing about a pool having to be ten feet deep for you to like swimming in it. You must love treading water. Most public pools do not vary that much in depth, either. Is six feet enough for you? Eight? The other posters are correct, it's a very expensive proposition, especially for a public pool. How would that expense be justified?

If that's the thing you like least about living in AZ so far....

Old 09-14-2010, 07:47 PM

Obviously, you have lived in Arizona most of your life.
In other States--especially up north where they have basements--public pools go to 10 feet always. If you're a swimmer you will know the difference in the "feel" of a 5' pool when swimming versus the water in a pool that is 10' in depth. Trust me, it's alot harder to do laps in a 5' pool and an easier glide in a 10' pool.
But I understand now why there are no deep pools here...darn...oh well...I still really like it here overall. I'm happy. I'll adjust..

Old 09-14-2010, 10:36 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,571,559 times
Here are a list of LA Fitness clubs in the area. Sorry about the big print. I cut and pasted from the LA Fitness web site list of places. Every LA Fitness has an indoor pool, 25 yards long and at least three lanes. I worked out at the Arrowhead LA Fitness, lifting weights while my girlfriend swam. My favorite LA Fitness is in Chandler on the other side of the valley and it has 5 lanes (Dobson and Warner).

In the LA Fitness website I checked the distance from the 85044 zip code (southeast Phoenix / Ahwatukee) hence the "long" distances listed below:

PEORIA
10160 N 67TH AVE
PEORIA, AZ 85345
(623) 773-0368
Distance from zip code: 22.07 mi club info

GOODYEAR
1382 SOUTH COTTON LANE
GOODYEAR, AZ 85338
(480) 422-6088
Distance from zip code: 23.35 mi club info

ARROWHEAD
5536 W. BELL ROAD
GLENDALE, AZ 85308
(602) 547-9425
Distance from zip code: 24.58 mi club

UNION HILLS
18295 NORTH 83RD AVE
GLENDALE, AZ 85308
(623) 334-9111
Distance from zip code: 24.58 mi

One more thing: These are lap pools, for lap swimming except during aquacize, so the ettiquete is that if you hop around in the water, please do so in the lane near a wall and let the speed swimmers do their lap swims in the middle lanes. Someone hopping and bopping in the middle of a 25 yard long lane takes up space that can be used for its real purpose - fitness swimming wall to wall! Just a friendly suggestion!

Old 09-15-2010, 09:11 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Obviously, you have lived in Arizona most of your life.
In other States--especially up north where they have basements--public pools go to 10 feet always. If you're a swimmer you will know the difference in the "feel" of a 5' pool when swimming versus the water in a pool that is 10' in depth. Trust me, it's alot harder to do laps in a 5' pool and an easier glide in a 10' pool.
But I understand now why there are no deep pools here...darn...oh well...I still really like it here overall. I'm happy. I'll adjust..
The "feel" is in your head. You are no more buoyant in 5000 feet than you are in 5 feet. The only difference in laps was if your swimming was so vigorous that you caused turbulence and friction effects at the pool floor. Fat chance of that.

And 10 foot pools are not uncommon or not done because of soil. As someone pointed out, the cost is higher (duh). But the biggest reason play pools are the new standard in backyards is the yards are too small for a diving pool. Public pools at hotels are shallow because of the lawyers and because not many old snowbirds want to dive. Everything in AZ was built since the "sue them" society in the US came about.

Some cities, like Goodyear, have diving pools as do some schools, YMCA etc. As far as it being different here, I have been "up north" many, many times and have never seen a public pool like in a hotel that has diving or diving depth. Maybe the really old properties will have diving depth, but invariably they have removed the boards. Even the park lake where I went as a teen has closed down the high dive now. Municipal pools yes, but like I said, the Goodyear pool has that here too and I think others as well.

It seems you whine about a lot of things that are different here than where you came from. Did you say you are from Illinois? I know (I am from Wisconsin) that that is the way people from Illinois are. Up in the northwoods, they have a special name for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area