Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 04:56 PM

54 posts, read 140,831 times

Advertisements

I have a high schooler and a middle schooler and I currently work as a Para Professional at a charter school. I am looking for input on best school and areas to live in etc. Are the schools hiring there? They aren't in Idaho. The pay in Idaho is horrible for any job. I would like to find a safe area and would appreciate any input.

Thank You
~L
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 05:02 PM

I think its pretty clear to stay away from AJ after what I have read on here. So what is the next best small town feel but city conveniences? Mesa? Or?

Old 09-18-2010, 06:41 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,769,227 times
NO where Phoenix is just one big sprawl from AJ to Buckeye its all blends together. Also schools here laid off a ton of teachers and are in a budget crisis so don't count on finding a teaching job here.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:30 PM

805 posts, read 2,003,062 times
What part of Idaho do you live in?

I grew up in Phoenix, and currently live in Boise...Both cities are great places...but completely different. You mention terrible pay up here...You're in for a shock in Phoenix. From my experience pay is simply aweful down there. For the same exact jobs with the same company my wife actually makes MORE in Boise. And there isn't many opportunities for work in Phoenix either. I feel like degree or no degree down there it doesn't matter the pay is crap.

also you mention safety being a concern...When I moved up here I felt like i could keep my car keys in my ignition and my front door open at night. I'm not saying Phoenix is a bad place by any means. i was just utterly shocked at how safe it is and seems up here.

i don't think you will experience anything remotely like a sall town feel unless you look at something like Tucson, Flagstaff, or Prescott...But the whole state, just like the nation is hurting bad on employment.

Make sure you prepare for the heat also, up here in Boise people complain about summer temps, but they truly don't hold a candle to 120 degrees.

I'm not trying to be negative or deterr you, just trying to provide some insight on what to look out for and that possibly a move to AZ is not the answer for a need of employment. BEST OF LUCK IN WHATEVER YOU MAY DECIDE!!!

Old 09-19-2010, 04:34 PM

Enigmadsm,
I too live in Boise. I'm not moving from Boise mainly for employment reasons but it is one of the reasons. I am originally from Cali desert so I have experienced some heat not like AZ though. It is a concern but I need to get away from the snow. The summer in Boise is great I don't mind the temps here it could get hotter for me. Im looking for somewhere warm but safe. Thank you for your input it is very helpful. People in Boise are very friendly and I love that. How are the people in AZ? Well, let me ask in your opinion why would AZ be a good place to live? Or not?
Thank you,
~L

Old 09-21-2010, 08:32 PM

805 posts, read 2,003,062 times
I found that many people in AZ/Phoenix are also friendly...There is much more diversity (coming from california I'm sure you will have no issues with that) but I know a few sheltered people that would be surprised venturing down to Phoenix.
The thing I noticed about Phoenix is not as many people flaked out on plans...here in Boise i agree people are VERY nice. I was in culture shock my first month. But other than casual conversation in passing it seemed difficult at first to get people to committ to real plans.

Some good things about living in AZ is basically every outdoor opportunity you have up here is down there but even more. The politics are similar, the roads are MUCH better maintained. In your case, warm winters will be a plus...I personally enjoy the snow...But i haven't lived in it for multiple years to where i eventually grow tired of the hassle

Entertainment/weekend and nightlife seem to be more uppity down there. Having multiple professional sports teams to watch, the sheer size of the city and other things I would say contribute to that.

The main thing I would consider is where you will be working (what part of town) the city is vast and commuting from one end to the other can easily take an hour with traffic. So if you can narrow down whether you will be in east side, north side, or west side of town...you can narrow your search for the safest neighborhoods that fit your criteria.
If you're in the northern end of town living in Anthem would be a nice idea for a somewhat smaller more localized feel as its north of everything else. Its pretty self sufficient. Great planned communities, activity centers etc.
If you're in the north east/scottsdale area you could look into Cavecreek. People seem to have more land and property out there, it can be pricey though.
Over on the west side you have places like Buckeye and Vistancia (both are a bit of a commute to anything else in Phoenix, and not really small towns but just large masterplan communities that aren't just connected to everything else.)

If you're in the SE or Tempe area, someone else will have to chime in on whether something like Gilbert, or Mesa or something will be a nice fit, because I never ventured that far east.

I have no grudge against Phoenix... but I am always interested in exploring new places. I've lived there, both southern and northern california and now in Boise...I Would return to Norcal in a heartbeat, but I think next I may check out the PNW (seattle/portland).

Hopefully that helps some

Old 09-22-2010, 09:03 AM

2,942 posts, read 1,641,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Start View Post
I think its pretty clear to stay away from AJ after what I have read on here. So what is the next best small town feel but city conveniences? Mesa? Or?
I would rather live in AJ, than Caldwell (or parts of Nampa). AJ is not that bad. Has a very nice small town feel to it, and beautiful views of the Superstition mountains, that are more interesting to look at and hike, than the mountains above Boise. Lakes are close by too, if you enjoy water recreation. Mesa is much larger, twice the size of Boise.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:50 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,395,039 times
My husband and I were just talking last night about how we each have yet to meet a single person here from Idaho. Hubby has been here 14 years and I've been here 6.

I think there are a few major differences you will notice right away:
-The traffic will be more, but if you've lived in California it shouldn't be a problem.

-Pay is probably not what you expect here, and despite reports saying our recession is over, we still have high unemployment including in the education sector.

-AZ doesn't seem to support it's educators. My sister just relocated from AZ to Colorado for improved teaching conditions (took a small cut in pay for it). She was tired of parents and principals not supporting teachers and tired of half the kids in her classes not speaking English as their first language (she loved the students, but they took learning away from other kids).
-Your rent will be higher, or if you are buying, homes are slightly more expensive (but I believe property taxes are less). Your utilities should stay the same annually (AC runs all summer but you don't need much heat in the winter). Your car insurance will more than likely double. We have tons of uninsured drivers here, so no matter how new or old your car is, uninsured motorists coverage is highly advised.

-I didn't think Boise got that much winter snow, although I do know their winters are cold and gray. You'll definitely have the sunshine here in winter, and for most of the winter months, t-shirts and jeans are the perfect attire. But you'll find you need to lay low in the summer, much like other states do in the winters. Summer heats are extreme and while people will tell you "it is a dry heat" it really isn't for much of the summer. During our monsoon, humidity is up and it is miserable. I think the summers are especially rough on kids, not just because it is too hot to do anything outdoors, but because they sweat less making heat exhaustion/heat stroke a threat. Definitely rent a place with a pool if possible.

-You will see a little more ethnic and religious diversity here; more or less depending on what part of the valley you live in.

-Overall, I think people here are pretty friendly. But then again, I have had lengthier conversations with the checker at the grocery store than I've ever had with my own neighbors. They pretty much keep to themselves.

For a small town feel, I'd recommend checking out Camp Verde. They do get a little snow each year, but it is a neat little town I think. Cottonwood is another one, as is Wickenberg.

Best of luck to you.

Old 09-22-2010, 01:05 PM

13,231 posts, read 21,853,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
-AZ doesn't seem to support it's educators. My sister just relocated from AZ to Colorado for improved teaching conditions (took a small cut in pay for it). She was tired of parents and principals not supporting teachers and tired of half the kids in her classes not speaking English as their first language (she loved the students, but they took learning away from other kids).
How many schools across how many districts did you evaluate to come to the conclusion that "AZ doesn't seem to support it's educators." ? I'm not trying to pick on you, but there seems to be a lot of generalizations made about schools in this forum. My own experience is that we have great teachers who get good support from their principals and districts. But that doesn't qualify me to speak for the rest of the state.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:29 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,395,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
How many schools across how many districts did you evaluate to come to the conclusion that "AZ doesn't seem to support it's educators." ? I'm not trying to pick on you, but there seems to be a lot of generalizations made about schools in this forum. My own experience is that we have great teachers who get good support from their principals and districts. But that doesn't qualify me to speak for the rest of the state.
I understand what you are saying. And I don't have a lot of proof, certainly nothing published, other than to say my sister and all of her former coworkers (whom I know personally) are my reasons behind stating what I did. They were all required to put in unpaid hours prior to school, after school, and over the summer. Parents were permitted to barge into a classroom at any point and interrupt learning to bring the class cupcakes to celebrate little Johnny's birthday and the principal did not discourage that. The principal also never had her teachers' backs when receiving complaints from parents. Perhaps that school is just simply a stand-alone example, but they had 4 elementary teachers resign due to their unhappiness at the end of the school year last May. They figured it was better to just be jobless.

Like it said, AZ doesn't "seem" to support it's educators and that is my opinion as it relates to public schools. I'm sure it varies greatly district to district, and the OP may find a huge difference in charter schools vs. public schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area