Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:13 PM

128 posts, read 447,308 times

Advertisements

My brother and his wife and kid are coming to visit us from Toronto at the begining of October. They'll be staying here for a little under 3 weeks.

One of the weeks I'm planning to take them to :

1) The White Mountains : planning to stay in Show Low or Greer (which do you guys recommend?) for 3 nights in a cabin.

2) The Grand Canyon : staying here for 1 night.

This of course leaves around 12 days to explore Phoenix (or other close cities). This is where I need you all's help. What places do you all recommend to show off Phoenix to my brother and his family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 08:20 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,698,371 times
South mountain park - drive to the top...

The Codfather on Bell rd... Halibut that's as good as anything in Canada... And my wife knows, she's a Canuck!

The phoenix zoo and the desert botanical garden....

The petrified forest/painted desert if you can work it into your schedule..

Last edited by Zippyman; 09-14-2010 at 09:00 PM..

Old 09-14-2010, 10:27 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,236,192 times
Sedona

Old 09-14-2010, 10:38 PM

461 posts, read 1,450,350 times
Sedona is a must. So easy to get to and just breathtaking.

I like to take visitors to the Desert Botanical garden, especially if you can be up on the hill at sunset.

You should try to stay longer at the Grand Canyon, there is so much to see there.

I think the western towns are a lot of fun for visitors. Tombstone if you can, but if you want to be in the Phoenix area Goldfield in Apache Junction (right near the superstition mountains) or Rawhide in Chandler are a lot of fun.

I love Jerome too.

You should get a NPS parks pass, then you can get in to the Grand Canyon, and park in Sedona, and visit tons of ruins (Montezuma, Tuzigoot, Wupatki, Walnut Canyon, etc) with that. We get one every year and save tons of money on it!

Old Town Scottsdale, good place for souveniers.

You might be able to get a culture pass from your local library for the DBG.

First Friday is fun, but the crowd is crazy... not for the faint of heart. Phoenix art museum is free on first friday (they also have culture passes), lots of cool stuff to see there.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:44 PM

126 posts, read 231,663 times
Sedona and oak creek canyon is a must and since I am originally from Canada I will give my opinion of what is the best. Airport Mesa climb, the Sonoran Desert Museum in Tucson, and the Old Tuscon Studio. I like Tombstone for a day. I recommend the Forest Station road north of Flagstaff, by the twin peaks. It is beautiful just for viewing. PM me if you need the route. Arizona Highways has great adventures. I almost forget but thought this as the best..the Verde Canyon Railroad. OMGosh it is beautiful. We saw so many bald eagles on that trip. This is a great state for great views. If they are into ghost, I recommend bisbee they have some ghost walks and things. There is my two-cents- hope it helps.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:39 PM

128 posts, read 447,308 times
You guys are very knowledgeable and extremely helpful as usual

I'm glad they're coming here in 2 weeks because that will give me enough time to plan this. I've lived here for 12 years and I've only been to the Grand Canyon. How sad is that

Thank you all so much

Old 09-14-2010, 11:53 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,329,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Sedona
I second Sedona, even if you just have time to drive around for the day. Don't miss the Chapel of the Holy Cross (780 Chapel Road), which is an amazing work of art in itself, plus it gives you a perfect view of the mountains many consider holy.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 09-15-2010 at 12:38 AM..

Old 09-15-2010, 12:09 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,205,828 times
Do a loop thru the SE:

1. On the way down Kartchner Caverns

2. Spend the afternoon and night in Tombstone for cheesy gunslinger fun. Many bars for adults.

3. Next morning go thru Bisbee and do the mine tour.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:26 PM

81 posts, read 230,748 times
Drive the Apache Trail through the Superstition Mountains out by Apache Junction. That is awesome!
You can stop at Tortilla Flats. Everyone who comes out to visit us loves that ride.

Old 09-15-2010, 03:33 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,394,427 times
Ask them what they are interested in seeing while they are here. Being from Canada, they may want to just lounge around and enjoy the nice October weather vs. driving from the Grand Canyon to Tombstone and back to Phoenix.

I'd skip the White Mountains. I think they are beautiful, but I think they are beautiful because I live in a desert. I'd spend one more day at the Grand Canyon and then work my way back down through Oak Creek/Sedona. Stop in Jerome if you have time and have a burger at the Haunted Hamburger (my fave burger in AZ).

I guess their interests have to be taken into account too. Are they interested in the history of AZ, geology, or do they really enjoy the "south west" feel to things? In Phoenix and surrounding areas you have so many options. Consider visiting Cave Creek for some shopping; play a game or two of golf if they enjoy that; enjoy dining on an outdoor patio (my friends from CA love Oreganos' patio so we always go there when they visit).

I hope they have a great time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area