Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2010, 09:57 AM

860 posts, read 2,715,227 times

Advertisements

We are new to the area and are planning on buying a home this spring ( newer big craftsman for sale in prime subdivision of Ft Wayne IN if anyone here is headed there) when our IN home sells and we would also like to have an RV.

We are likely to buy in Gilbert where we are renting and because we need a family style home/ area will probably have an HOA. I see that RV gates are a common feature but I also see that many listings have " no visible RV" on the conditions. We want a 25 or so ft camper vehicle. Do most of the HOAs prohibit an RV that you can see over your wall? Are they just for boats and bikes and stuff?

Obviously when we find some homes to consider we will ask for the HOA rules , but I am wondering how common it is to have this prohibition in the HOA.
For example, we love the look of Gilbert Commons and Ashland Ranch but wonder if they have this restriction. Thanks in advance for any comments or advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 10:13 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,574,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
...I see that RV gates are a common feature but I also see that many listings have " no visible RV" on the conditions. We want a 25 or so ft camper vehicle. Do most of the HOAs prohibit an RV that you can see over your wall? Are they just for boats and bikes and stuff?

Obviously when we find some homes to consider we will ask for the HOA rules , but I am wondering how common it is to have this prohibition in the HOA.
For example, we love the look of Gilbert Commons and Ashland Ranch but wonder if they have this restriction. Thanks in advance for any comments or advice
It's a fairly common HOA restriction to have no vehicles visible from neighboring property, except for some limited time. You can usually find the CC&Rs for a subdivision on the Maricopa County Recorder's website. Here's a link to the Ashland Ranch CC&Rs that specifies no visible RVs:

Maricopa County Recorder

Click on the page count to download the document.

Some HOA's will have a storage parking lot for RVs, campers, etc.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:14 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
That's a big part of what caused all those RV storage places to spring up around the Valley. It's not at all uncommon to have that restriction.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:46 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,675,326 times
Agreed - there's nearly always a mention of RV's in the CC&R's - My sub doesn't have an HOA but it does have CC&R's that allow a 19ft (mini) motorhome/trailer - most of the CC&R's that I've seen prohibit them completely.

FWIW, there are some homes in my neighborhood that have a 3rd garage stall that is taller (12-14ft?) + longer - specifically so you can garage your RV.

Also - just because there's an "rv gate" in the listing doesn't mean it's big enough to put anything through - our rental in Scottsdale had a 30-inch "rv" gate...

Old 10-05-2010, 01:14 PM

I think I am getting the idea that we were taking the term "rv gate" too literally. They probably exist in part just to allow larger items into the back yard in general since block fencing is such a barricade.

The xtra long 3rd bay sounds good, but we have lots to store so that may not work. Sounds like unless we find a no HOA or horse type property, we will have to budget for RV storage if we get one.

Thanks everyone for all the info!

Old 10-05-2010, 01:23 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,675,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
I think I am getting the idea that we were taking the term "rv gate" too literally. They probably exist in part just to allow larger items into the back yard in general since block fencing is such a barricade.

The xtra long 3rd bay sounds good, but we have lots to store so that may not work. Sounds like unless we find a no HOA or horse type property, we will have to budget for RV storage if we get one.

Thanks everyone for all the info!
FWIW, take anything you see in MLS with a large dose of salt - One home we looked at that had "room for a pool" in the MLS had a backyard that was 4 feet x 22 feet total. The only "pool" that would fit there was the one they sell at Wal-Mart for $6.99.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:32 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
Well, and remember that an "RV" can also be a small boat, or one of those foldout trailers, that would be perfectly OK with the HOA.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:34 PM

Yeah we could hide a pop up camper but I don't think our 3 girls would tolerate the bathroom as well! What we need would show. But it would still be helpful to have one there for loading up the camper even if we couldn't keep it there. I know what you mean Zippyman, one rv gate we drove by had a utility box in front of it. Several have big trees. But sadly we are in the drive by stage. We need to sell first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area