Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 03:40 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,227,951 times

Advertisements

I hadn't been to Phoenix prior to moving here, so all I had to go by was what my parents were telling me: "huge" city, lots of people, lots to do, etc. Immediately before moving we made a few weekend trips to the area while my parents were deciding where to buy a house... so we drove all over the Valley looking at neighborhoods. What surprised me was that neighborhoods pretty much all look the same in the majority of the Valley... sort of an "autocratic mimesis" if you will. Beyond that, it surprised me there weren't (and pretty much still aren't) distinct neighborhoods groups of people made into a city-within-a-city (i.e. ChinaTown, gayborhood, Little Italy, etc.) Now it seems to me that efforts to "create" these neighborhoods are inorganic and forced, such as the Chinese Cultural Center and Melrose District.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 09:26 PM

44 posts, read 123,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
What surprised me about phoenix was my family that lives here.....there is something not right about them.....and thats an understatment!!! I moved back to the east coast because I could not take it anymore!!! Its a shame because I loved Arizona...
I loved all that has been mentioned in these posts. Especially the flip flop part. I hate shoes!!
If my Phoenix family ever moves away...I'll be back!!!!
I don't think that has anything to do with PHX. If your family is crazy, they would be crazy anywhere. It happens quite a bit. lol

Old 01-23-2011, 05:40 AM

4 posts, read 5,776 times
We are being relocated to the Phoenix area soon and I just wanted to thank everyone who posted on this thread for the positive comments and honest information. I'm sure I'll be here daily as I have so many questions and concerns about the move . This forum seems to be a very helpful place for those of us who have no other way to acquire needed information. When I do get there and get a bit settled I hope I can come back to this thread and be of some help to others in the position I find myself now.. Thank you so much.

Old 01-24-2011, 04:12 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,421,692 times
Each time I visit, I am pleaseantly suprised at how smooth the roads are and how clean the city looks despite all of the dust of the desert (I come from the Midwest)

Also the rental car companies are not located in the airport terminal, but in another builing that you need to ride a shuttle bus to. At least most of the rental cars are stored in the shade of a parking structure.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:17 PM

419 posts, read 909,043 times
This is a good thread, as others have mentioned. I just wondered did any of you find it a challenge to adjust to the drivers and traffic in the Valley?...when I visit I'm kinda surprised by how aggressive many drivers are, even little old ladies!!??

Old 01-25-2011, 07:28 PM

51 posts, read 118,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerby View Post
This is a good thread, as others have mentioned. I just wondered did any of you find it a challenge to adjust to the drivers and traffic in the Valley?...when I visit I'm kinda surprised by how aggressive many drivers are, even little old ladies!!??
When I visited Phoenix I found that people were less aggressive than where I'm at...but that's expected, seeing as I live in the 'burbs of Detroit.

The legal U-turns kind of freaked me out though! We have our "Michigan Lefts" or "Horse-shoe turns" up here, but Phoenix has straight up U-turns. I'm used to seeing people get smoked by the police for that.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:47 PM

453 posts, read 1,631,140 times
Seriously, what surprised me? I came here 5 years ago from a small midwestern mostly white community. After being here a month, I went to a WalMart, I never saw so many mexicans in one place in all my life. I was dumbfounded. The crime also surprised me. I am not a predjudice person so dont take my statement the wrong way, just was shocked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area