Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 08:07 AM

2,300 posts, read 6,198,083 times

Advertisements

You must have led an extremely sheltered life in Chicago. The CTA and Pace have had bike racks on all buses for years. Well, it's good you finally have the confidence to leave your home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 08:17 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,097,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmib View Post
PHX has dust storms? How bad is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TH_4lL_DjE
Click below and you will find more movies of our storms, driving conditions, etc. It will give you a good idea how to handle them.

Um, the dust storms are quite a "big" secret, lol, here is a video, you can find more on the net. Make sure you bring your dust gear. lol We don't need to cover our patio furniture because of snow, but we have to bring it inside because of dust storms. If you leave it outside, 1/2 of it will blow away. You might be able to retrieve some of it from the neighbors homes after the storm. he he No snow to shovel, but, plenty of sweeping and dusting goes on.

Last edited by twiggy; 10-07-2010 at 08:32 AM..

Old 10-07-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Glad someone created this thread...I too will be moving from the boring wasteland of Charlotte, NC to Phoenix, sometimes next year, once the finances see daylight and the home sells....(fingers crossed)...What else as an eastcoaster/southener expect in Phoenix....Everyone tells me that I will miss the "greenery" of the East Coast.....NOT......loL. Personally I prefer the desert landscapes with the "to die for sunsets", no humidity,and the 300+ days of sunshine....Now that my friends, I could get used to.
Well, on that note, you won't miss it that much because a lot of people try and grow it here. One surprise you will have from this is year around allergies. You guys with the real winter and snow only have spring allergies but out here we have them all year because nothing goes dormant except maybe for a few things. So if you have allergies, bring enough meds for the year.

The desert is pretty in some places, not so much in others, just like anywhere else it depends on whats sitting on it. lol

Last edited by twiggy; 10-07-2010 at 08:33 AM..

Old 10-07-2010, 08:28 AM

Oh, and contrary to what most believe we have plenty of bugs and spiders here. Every place is different, it will depend on the house you live in but we do have all the bugs and spiders plus a few exceptions to our area you haven't seen. So, don't expect zero bug life or you will be disappointed. We may look like Mars, but, we aren't . lol (they do film a lot of space movies here)

Old 10-07-2010, 08:36 AM

Oh, and everyone is pretty nice because they are all from someplace else. You will find it seldom you run into anyone who is native here. We have tons and tons of transplants escaping the snow, and they seem pretty happy, so thats a good sign for you all. lol

Old 10-07-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Glad someone created this thread...I too will be moving from the boring wasteland of Charlotte, NC to Phoenix, sometimes next year, once the finances see daylight and the home sells....(fingers crossed)...What else as an eastcoaster/southener expect in Phoenix....Everyone tells me that I will miss the "greenery" of the East Coast.....NOT......loL. Personally I prefer the desert landscapes with the "to die for sunsets", no humidity,and the 300+ days of sunshine....Now that my friends, I could get used to.
Well, on that note, you won't miss it that much because a lot of people try and grow it here. One surprise you will have from this is year around allergies. You guys with the real winter and snow only have spring allergies but out here we have them all year because nothing goes dormant except maybe a for a few things. So if you have allergies, bring enough meds for the year.

The desert is pretty in some places, not so much in others, just like anywhere else it depends on whats sitting on it. lol

Old 10-07-2010, 09:24 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,326,801 times
Same in Florida...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Ohio has buses that carry bikes for passengers.

Why do you get nose bleeds? any ppl more particular than others? heard that you get that in Denver..but why in Phx?

We are planning to head that was also next year, to us, coming from absolute humid and boring Florida, the "housing" part won't come as a surprise...we can't emulate that aspect in any other state better than Phx, however, we're not moving for the "housing", we're moving for the opportunity to live in a dry climate with gorgeous parks and scenery around. In Florida, you can drive 4 hours each way and you'll be on another beach...booooooooooooring....others may disagree.

So what else should surprise us? coming from FL...?

Old 10-07-2010, 09:25 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,326,801 times
WOW...........That's nuts....how often does this happen? is there a "season" for it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TH_4lL_DjE
Click below and you will find more movies of our storms, driving conditions, etc. It will give you a good idea how to handle them.

Um, the dust storms are quite a "big" secret, lol, here is a video, you can find more on the net. Make sure you bring your dust gear. lol We don't need to cover our patio furniture because of snow, but we have to bring it inside because of dust storms. If you leave it outside, 1/2 of it will blow away. You might be able to retrieve some of it from the neighbors homes after the storm. he he No snow to shovel, but, plenty of sweeping and dusting goes on.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:28 AM

Good things, blue skies a lot of them
flip flops all year round, just some with socks in the winter, it's our version of the Ugg!
You can pull right out of your drive way and go anywhere in Jan and Feb
Mega shopping, and I mean Mega, key word, I often wish for roller skates when I'm in the grocery store
Tan is the new "white", anything white will be tan in a few days, see video
You don't have to dust because it won't work anyway, it last about 10 min and is only done before company arrives otherwise we just draw cute little pictures in it and forget about it.
You can bbq your turkey and eat it on your lawn comfortably
People are nice generally because they are all from somewhere that it snowed and are very grateful to be here.
No body likes snow here, the mention of it will get some nasty comments or start a "why I left the snow" tyrate
We don't care about sports as much, because most still cheer for their home teams, but we have some nice sports facilities and teams, you just won't see many painting there faces, or barfing with excitement. lol (of course we have a few)
We go from ac stores, ac cars, ac home, ac school etc. When we can finally open our windows and get some fresh air we do, in Nov. usually, some try this sooner but it's like turning your heat on early, not worth it really.
You can try to grow a garden here, but I would just stick to citrus, otherwise it's an expensive habit
Don't leave anything in your car you don't want to melt
We use those pop up shade thingys in the car windows
Leather is a no no
Throw out anything with the word down or wool in it
No rust on cars but the battery, belts and hoses, oh and tires won't last
You won't shovel, you will sweep> see vid
You will also mow in 110 on occasion, or you will night mow!
You will be thirsty all the time, and go threw a lot of lotion, throw that into the budget
Did I mention flip flops?
You will gasp at the sunsets
You will laugh at our weather reports, they will get really excited over any weather we might encounter
Did I mention leather is a no no?
OH, and most of all, enjoy it, how exciting it is to move to a new place, I hope to do so one day and it seems like you all are taking it in. Congrats, and enjoy mars, I mean Phoenix. lol
Oh, we have aliens here, did I mention that? It's a bonus. he he
You'll love it, because of it's differences, so dig in!

I'm sure more will add what I have forgotten, feel free!

Old 10-07-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Same in Florida...

Why do you get nose bleeds? any ppl more particular than others? heard that you get that in Denver..but why in Phx?

We are planning to head that was also next year, to us, coming from absolute humid and boring Florida, the "housing" part won't come as a surprise...we can't emulate that aspect in any other state better than Phx, however, we're not moving for the "housing", we're moving for the opportunity to live in a dry climate with gorgeous parks and scenery around. In Florida, you can drive 4 hours each way and you'll be on another beach...booooooooooooring....others may disagree.

So what else should surprise us? coming from FL...?
Dry air.............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area