Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 07:13 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
I lived in Phoenix my whole life, and it still suprises me how some people who've never visited it don't like it and assume it's a massive brown suburb in the middle of no where. But one visit changes their feelings and assumptions towards the city and they love it enough to move here. Interesting how seeing the real thing sure changes things around.
If you noticed, even the people who are routinely critical of Phoenix still live here and have not moved despite claims that the would. I've been posting here for 3 years and the same people who are critical of Phoenix are still here. Actions speak louder than words. I think some people just like to argue and point out the bad things but don't want to admit how much they like it here. That's pretty evident because they are still here!

There is a guy on here who was Phoenix bashing and responded to the Austin vs Phoenix thread and even he moved back here. Like I said, actions speak louder than words. If they didn't like Phoenix, they wouldn't live here.

In my experience, when friends or family visit, they instantly fall in love with the place and move here or plan on moving here. I've had multiple friends move here in the last 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
Y

Twiggy-I must disagree about the sports comment. People here do go crazy about the Suns, and football is popular. I know there are several Steeler bars alone, and now more people are into the hometown team-the Cardinals since they went to the Superbowl.
When the Cardinals went to the NFC Championship game, Ticketmaster claimed the entire set of tickets sold out in 25 minutes....yes 25 minutes..not hours...not a day....25 minutes. It set some type of record.

This is one of the best sports cities in the country in my opinion because you have fans from every part of the country following their respective teams. You can't get even get a seat at most sports bars in town if you go after 12 PM on Sunday.

The reason we don't always sell out stadiums has nothing to do with the lack of sports fans. It's just that we have so many sports fans that follow other teams so they aren't going to support the local team unless they go to the playoffs and have success. Unfortunately too many less intelligent people fail to understand that concept and falsely generalize this is a poor sports town. Seriously, how are you going to get all the Chicago Cubs fans that live here to attend a regular season Diamondback game when the D-backs stink? When the D-backs were good, they no trouble selling out games. I remember how quickly those playoff tickets sold out. Also, 3 out of our 4 sports teams have been here 22 years or less! Unlike New York, we don't have a team that existed for over 80 years and is supported by a 15 million metro population. Like I said, too many idiots fail to grasp this concept and assume a team that's been in existance for 15 years with a 4.5 million metro should have the same following as a team that has existed for 80 years with a 15 million metro. Seriously, think people!

Old 10-07-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
Man how did I ever survive playing outside all summer long in Phoenix. Kids are just more sheltered now cuz of all the transplants. Plus, with video games this also brings kids inside more.
Don't believe the hype. Those who are truly honest with themselves can tell you they pass kids playing baseball, football and soccer in the summer here all the time especially in cities like Tempe, Chandler and Gilbert. There is just a lot of false information spread by people with agendas.....but what's new. Practices are usually at night and shorter. Swimming is really big here too and there are a lot of competitive swim meets etc among kids. Heck if you drive on I-10 and Ray, you can see the lights from the freeway of the kids playing baseball in Ahwautukee so that shows you right there how people are so full of it when they claim kids don't play outdoor sports in the summer here. It's more b.s.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:35 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,083,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
You'll definitely get better Mexican food here. However, there are lots of festival shere year round that celebrate different cultures such as African, Irish, etc.

Twiggy-I must disagree about the sports comment. People here do go crazy about the Suns, and football is popular. I know there are several Steeler bars alone, and now more people are into the hometown team-the Cardinals since they went to the Superbowl.
The other comment about leaving things in the car was right! Have you ever forgotten chap stick in there? I tried to use some once I had forgotten and ended up with hot sticky wax all over me!
And dust...I know girl!! lol I hate dusting...and it's true, I only do it occasionally or when people are coming b/c it never ends! Especially when you have tile floors.
And anyone who moves to Phoenix better be a defensive driver, cuz just about everyone drives fast or drives crazy!
And people not from here think we don't get floods, well we do when it rains a lot. Streets get flooded quick and washes flood and people have to be rescued from trying to drive through it.
And winters do get cold..it's not just hot all year long.

Thats good to hear about the sports, lol. Go Devils!! I'm a huge fan! But I am from Boston family and in MA it's like a religion. ha ha The first thing most fathers ask there kids dates is what team do they like. ha ha
But ya, it's good to see a bit more home team talent. We use to punish those poor Cards when they were starting out.

And that dust! You're dang right, just leave that stuff be.

Last edited by twiggy; 10-07-2010 at 08:01 PM..

Old 10-07-2010, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
Man how did I ever survive playing outside all summer long in Phoenix. Kids are just more sheltered now cuz of all the transplants. Plus, with video games this also brings kids inside more.
Ya, and the doctors are more worried about skin cancer. I get lectures from our doc about letting them get that much sun. I think a lot of things are different, when I was young here no one really thought about sun damage, or heat exhaustion. I didn't even realize those were possibilities. Parents are more into their kids now, sure, but we are also held accountable a lot more than we use to be. I don't know, it wasn't meant as a negative statement.
Thats a whole new thread, "if kids are more sheltered now", lol, my mom would say no, but then she grew up in the 50's. lol I think the 60's parents would say, yes.

Of course, I'm only talking about the neighborhood kids, they seem to flock out in numbers as soon as Oct hits. Noticing it myself today, aw, fall, sort of like spring after a long winter. But, I'm not talking about sports, etc. Practices still go on all year, but, you probably know thats what I meant, right?

I think it's sort of nice, having that indoor season makes going outside all the more fun when fall comes!

Last edited by twiggy; 10-07-2010 at 08:58 PM..

Old 10-07-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
If you noticed, even the people who are routinely critical of Phoenix still live here and have not moved despite claims that the would. I've been posting here for 3 years and the same people who are critical of Phoenix are still here. Actions speak louder than words. I think some people just like to argue and point out the bad things but don't want to admit how much they like it here. That's pretty evident because they are still here!

There is a guy on here who was Phoenix bashing and responded to the Austin vs Phoenix thread and even he moved back here. Like I said, actions speak louder than words. If they didn't like Phoenix, they wouldn't live here.

In my experience, when friends or family visit, they instantly fall in love with the place and move here or plan on moving here. I've had multiple friends move here in the last 5 years.
Do you play a lot of Twister or something? haha You can sure twist the heck out of these threads, gosh darn. ha ha I think this is a cool thread, lots of fun quirky things and some awesome things about our city on here that I would like to hear if I were moving some place new. Don't you think? I'm rolling on the floor, it's so funny. I don't feel any neg. fibe on here, am I loosing a nut?
I mean, except for now I guess. Grumpy!

Old 10-07-2010, 09:09 PM

986 posts, read 2,808,869 times
What surprised me about phoenix was my family that lives here.....there is something not right about them.....and thats an understatment!!! I moved back to the east coast because I could not take it anymore!!! Its a shame because I loved Arizona...
I loved all that has been mentioned in these posts. Especially the flip flop part. I hate shoes!!
If my Phoenix family ever moves away...I'll be back!!!!

Old 10-07-2010, 10:37 PM

932 posts, read 1,964,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

I've only been on here for a year but I can also see who bashes Phoenix but continues to live here, and the people who move away from Phoenix but they frequently visit the Phoenix forum to bash it and discourage others to move here. I completely agree with you on actions speak louder than words. Some of them have been complaing about the same thing since I joined. Pollution, heat, etc. but they still never move.
I've visited people from all over the country (Indiana, Tennesee, New York, North Carolina) while on vacation and I engage in long conversations about Arizona or just how their vacation is going. With those majority of people I talked to, I encouraged a few people to visit Arizona. And I'm just a teenager, not a real esate agent. Almost my mother's entire side of the family lives in the valley too. Recently one of my aunts moved here from Chicago, and loves it here.
You can notice the people that like living here, benefit the area, and even in these economic times are still helping Phoenix progress. Just like on this thread you can see the people on here adding to the positive future Phoenix has.
GO CARDINALS!!!

Old 10-07-2010, 11:13 PM

?????????? I didn't see any of this critical or hate stuff you all are complaining about on this thread????????????? I must be blind as a thread bat tonight. I thought it was a good thread actually, funny and interesting, glad the poster posted it, refreshing way to approach their move if you ask me. Might use it myself one day.
Oh well, I guess you 2 are ending it.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:08 PM

81 posts, read 230,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Oh yea, kids don't play out side here in the summer, they play out side in the winter. Just flip things around a bit and you will be fine..lol
My kids and the neighborhood kids all play outside in the summer. Riding bikes, skateboarding, everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area