Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 04:23 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,326,801 times

Advertisements

who is living in Phoenix and expects it to be cold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 05:00 PM

260 posts, read 905,827 times
Quote:
Um, the dust storms are quite a "big" secret, lol, here is a video, you can find more on the net. Make sure you bring your dust gear. lol We don't need to cover our patio furniture because of snow, but we have to bring it inside because of dust storms. If you leave it outside, 1/2 of it will blow away. You might be able to retrieve some of it from the neighbors homes after the storm. he he No snow to shovel, but, plenty of sweeping and dusting goes on.
Very true! We had a minor storm roll through last Saturday night and we came home to our umbrella being in the deep end of the pool. I can't imagine what our yard would have looked like after Tuesday's storm if we hadn't of buckled it all down.

What surprised me the most when we first came to Phoenix in the early 90's was the green grass and palm trees. I also never expected how friendly people are. We made so many friends and are still in touch with a few of them years later.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:50 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,648,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
who is living in Phoenix and expects it to be cold?
I expect it to be cold come January and February. Maybe it's not cold to some people who just moved her from say back east but to someone like me that's been here a long time...when the temp drops to say...40 0r even 50 degrees(and when it rains) I'll be sporting a jacket!

Old 10-09-2010, 12:52 PM

Mine and my friends kids don't go out in summer except to swim,or at night or early in the morning.
Thats why no one is at the parks during the summer between like 11:00 AM and 6 PM...its too hot to enjoy.

Old 10-09-2010, 01:33 PM

11,093 posts, read 6,986,557 times
I've been here one month and couldn't be happier. I've noticed:

1. How FRIENDLY and relaxed people are.
2. How easy it is to make FRIENDS and find people to do stuff with.
3. How many DOGS there are! An amazingly high number of people have a dog or more than one.
4. How CLEAN everything is (FAR less trash floating around... resort area).
5. How SMOOTH the freeways and roadways are! This is a blessing coming from CA and OR where the roads are pathetic.
6. How QUICKLY everything dries: towels, clothing, hair, nail polish!
7. How much better my hair is (less frizz).
8. How it is so much EASIER to live here than elsewhere, even with the heat, dust, etc. issues.
9. Minimal apparent animosity between conservs and libs (at least so far) I've made some Republican friends; we stay away from politics. Interesting how that is much easier here than, say, PDX.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:34 PM

54 posts, read 140,097 times
I'm a teacher from Michigan and the 2 things that have surprised me most were the student's reaction when it rains (I'd compare it too back in MI the student's reaction to the first big snow fall of the year) and the fact that there is no real plan in case school has to close for the day.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:41 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,097,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk72 View Post
My kids and the neighborhood kids all play outside in the summer. Riding bikes, skateboarding, everything.
Well, that's nice, it wasn't a blanket statement it's just I see a lot more out when summer is over. Just my personal statement, it's not that kids here don't go outside at all, all summer, it's just that I see a lot more in the fall, winter and spring. But, I'm sure there are kids outside in the summer, just not as many as when summer is over, at least where I've lived the last 25 years.
I didn't mean this as a negative thing at all, just something most people wouldn't expect from the cold climate. I imagine kids go out there in the winter as well, just probably more when it warms up. Ours is when it cools down, that was the surprise.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:46 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,097,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
Mine and my friends kids don't go out in summer except to swim,or at night or early in the morning.
Thats why no one is at the parks during the summer between like 11:00 AM and 6 PM...its too hot to enjoy.
Ya, exactly, mine go swimming in the back yard and just have friends over. They save out front for cooler weather. They might last 15 min. in a shaded playground, but then it's just a drag. The sunscreen melts off within the hour anyway. lol

And yes, I get cold in the winter, but I've been here a long time too! I know I'm being laughed at in my winter coat by the snow birds, they on the other hand have shorts on.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:03 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,338,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I've been here one month and couldn't be happier. I've noticed:

1. How FRIENDLY and relaxed people are.
2. How easy it is to make FRIENDS and find people to do stuff with.
3. How many DOGS there are! An amazingly high number of people have a dog or more than one.
4. How CLEAN everything is (FAR less trash floating around... resort area).
5. How SMOOTH the freeways and roadways are! This is a blessing coming from CA and OR where the roads are pathetic.
6. How QUICKLY everything dries: towels, clothing, hair, nail polish!
7. How much better my hair is (less frizz).
8. How it is so much EASIER to live here than elsewhere, even with the heat, dust, etc. issues.
9. Minimal apparent animosity between conservs and libs (at least so far) I've made some Republican friends; we stay away from politics. Interesting how that is much easier here than, say, PDX.
Most of the people I meet in Phoenix come to the same conclusions you did. No one is saying Phoenix is perfect. The city obviously lacks an urban presence and a diversified job market but the things people do criticize on this forum are not true. Welcome to the Valley!

Old 10-10-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Ya, exactly, mine go swimming in the back yard and just have friends over. They save out front for cooler weather. They might last 15 min. in a shaded playground, but then it's just a drag. The sunscreen melts off within the hour anyway. lol

And yes, I get cold in the winter, but I've been here a long time too! I know I'm being laughed at in my winter coat by the snow birds, they on the other hand have shorts on.
That's when you also know someone is new to AZ...when they have on shorts in 60 degree weather lol.
I remember when I first moved out here- from OH to Tucson, it was January and it was so nice and warm out. But I was surprised how cold it got during the night time.
That was my surprise .
I also didn't expect Palm trees, I thought it would be all cacti and dry bush lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area