Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 12:45 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,030,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
I understand if you do not want to get into specifics, but if you're ok with it, I am genuinely curious as to what it took to make your short sale happen. How much below your loan balances was the sale price? How much cash did you have to put in? And it seems that they dropped the promissory note requirement, correct?

Also, I wonder what the highest successful loan forgiveness amount has been in the Phoenix area. Because if someone told me that he was $100,000 or more underwater, I would think that there is no chance of that being forgiven (or 90% forgiven, for example), and that they would be better off letting the Trustee Sale happen. But if any agents or actual participants have had that happen without a huge promissory note, etc., I would like to know.
So far the highest I have seen as the listing agent for a short sale I completed in January of this year was about 200K difference between the offer price and the balance of the loan. The clients loan balance was just over 400K and the accepted offer was 210K. Keep in mind though that the bank actually netted less than that after assisting with closing costs, the agents' commissions and a couple of miscellaneous liens on the property. So you could say that the forgiven part was more like 230K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 12:53 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,782,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
What are the smoke and mirrors? You get an offer for less than you owe on the house. The seller and buyer sign a contract. The agent submits the contract to the seller's bank. The seller has already sent in their "hardship" packet and in 30 to 180 days (depending on the original loan situation and who the investor is) the bank says "yes" or "no' or "maybe with further contingencies". Pretty plain and simple don't you think? Now wonder you think you don't need a realtor that does short sales.
Half never actually close. I've bought 8 homes over the years and none took more than 35 days. This included 1 probate, 1 HUD, and two foreclosures. Time is money...If you need a home 180 days is a long time to wait for something that may not solidify.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Half never actually close. I've bought 8 homes over the years and none took more than 35 days. This included 1 probate, 1 HUD, and two foreclosures. Time is money...If you need a home 180 days is a long time to wait for something that may not solidify.
I actually meant this as more "tongue in cheek" and I think you missed the point that short sale transactions can be very tricky and you need someone who has the education and experience to help you through them.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post

So according to this post it sounds like you are saying you won't purchase a short sale. Which is different from your previous post where you said:

"I won't even work with a realtor that does short sales. It's just that much smoke and mirrors."

Which of course almost all realtors "do" short sales if it means making some kind of commission considering the current market.

So to those interested in purchasing a short sale and who don't mind waiting and taking a gamble then the realtors who do short sales could be of some use.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:59 PM

2,154 posts, read 5,178,942 times
There is no correct answer to this question, only opinions.

Yes it is true that most shorts sales take a long time. it is also true that many do not close. But all short sales are not created equal. Some are pre-approved, many are priced appropriately for the market and many sellers can work out a deal with their bank. You just have to find the ones that are good short sale candidates and reject the ones that are not. Just because it is "Active" in the MLS does not make it a good candidate.

Once again a good agent will be able to advise you. Or you can just find any agent that will tell you what you want to hear and it will likely fall out. Then you will be frustrated, angry and wind up back here complaining.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:46 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,782,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalys View Post
So according to this post it sounds like you are saying you won't purchase a short sale. Which is different from your previous post where you said:

"I won't even work with a realtor that does short sales. It's just that much smoke and mirrors."

Which of course almost all realtors "do" short sales if it means making some kind of commission considering the current market.

So to those interested in purchasing a short sale and who don't mind waiting and taking a gamble then the realtors who do short sales could be of some use.
Obviously, if I will not work with a realtor involved with them, I will not be buying one, either. The window is just way to big for the prequalification, appraisal, etc...I don't like working with people, who are distracted by nonsense.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:19 PM

424 posts, read 953,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
There is no correct answer to this question, only opinions.

Yes it is true that most shorts sales take a long time. it is also true that many do not close. But all short sales are not created equal. Some are pre-approved, many are priced appropriately for the market and many sellers can work out a deal with their bank. You just have to find the ones that are good short sale candidates and reject the ones that are not. Just because it is "Active" in the MLS does not make it a good candidate.

Once again a good agent will be able to advise you. Or you can just find any agent that will tell you what you want to hear and it will likely fall out. Then you will be frustrated, angry and wind up back here complaining.
Good advice!

Old 10-18-2010, 09:52 PM

523 posts, read 937,844 times
Moderator cut: not allowed Values have fallen more than 9.2% in the last two months alone according to my sales' office MLS statistics.

Short sales have a lot of title issues, which just got a lot more complicated with foreclosure gate. Some title insurance companies are refusing to insurance some titles.

Moderator cut: not allowed .

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-19-2010 at 08:39 PM..

Old 10-18-2010, 11:46 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,585,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
Short sales have a lot of title issues, which just got a lot more complicated with foreclosure gate. Some title insurance companies are refusing to insurance some titles. ...
And why do short sales have "a lot of title issues" any more than any other regular sale?

Foreclosure gate is a separate issue from short sales, that may or may not actually be in the process of foreclosure. If anything, it may prompt banks to be more accepting of short sales to avoid the foreclosure issues hitting them.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:27 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,947,170 times
Can you guys expand a little more on the process of a short sale (as the seller)? What is this promissory note you guys are talking about?

We currently turned in a short sale package with our lender and are not really sure what to expect. The original loan amount is for $280,000. The lender had a BPO done that came back at $165,000 and that is what the offer from the buyer is for. The lender (well, one of their customer service people) said that the offer is good and that a negotiator has been assigned and it should take about 60 days for a decision.

Again though my main concern is this promissory note and such. I mean if you short sale and the lender accepts, doesn't that mean you are not responsible for the loan any longer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area