Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 02:50 PM

181 posts, read 694,598 times

Advertisements

My daughter is going to be a freshman next year. I am thinking to send her
to either Hamilton High School or Chandler Prep Academy? Not having enough information to make a sound decision, please help me out. Our emphasis is academics, not music or sport. Thank you!

Old 10-11-2010, 11:06 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,210,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthinker View Post
My daughter is going to be a freshman next year. I am thinking to send her
to either Hamilton High School or Chandler Prep Academy? Not having enough information to make a sound decision, please help me out. Our emphasis is academics, not music or sport. Thank you!
Both are excellent, you should visit both. First you have to define your goals. Are you trying to send your daughter to an Ivy League/Top 15 undergraduate school, get a scholarship to a public university, want a certain emphasis (liberal arts vs hard science/engineering etc).

On another note, the so-called myth perpetuated by some members about how bad our schools is further dismissed by this thread. Our charter schools rival private schools in most cities. Chandler Prep is easily as good if not better than many of the private schools I witnessed in Texas and California.

But of course, the haters on this forum will downplay our charter schools and try to equate them to bad public schools.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Both are excellent, you should visit both. First you have to define your goals. Are you trying to send your daughter to an Ivy League/Top 15 undergraduate school, get a scholarship to a public university, want a certain emphasis (liberal arts vs hard science/engineering etc).

On another note, the so-called myth perpetuated by some members about how bad our schools is further dismissed by this thread. Our charter schools rival private schools in most cities. Chandler Prep is easily as good if not better than many of the private schools I witnessed in Texas and California.

But of course, the haters on this forum will downplay our charter schools and try to equate them to bad public schools.

Yes. I am trying to send my daughter to an IV League college. Hamilton High seems to offer more activities while Chanlder prep focuses on liberal arts.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:48 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,187,779 times
Quote:
Yes. I am trying to send my daughter to an IV League college. Hamilton High seems to offer more activities while Chanlder prep focuses on liberal arts.
It is, as the earlier post said, "Ivy" League.

If your daughter is a good student, she will excel at either place. She will excel in school even if she does get involved in some "activities", which offer her other opportunities to grow as a person, and to learn as well.

I'd suggest that you not be so dismissive of "activities" in high school. Many colleges, and excellent scholarship programs, look at extracurricular and community activities as well as GPA in selecting the top, well-rounded students. And remember, your daughter may not end up wanting to go to an Ivy League school (for one thing, it's COLD back there! ) She will be able to get into any number of excellent colleges if she does well at either of these schools.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:35 AM

932 posts, read 1,955,306 times
No matter which school, Red Mountain High School is still better. Haha, I know a bit childish to say so but I would choose Hamiltion High over Chandler Prep. It is a much larger school with 3,000 students and it was an A+ School in 2005. Known for it excellance in sports and academics (Red Mountain is still better) I think it is an overall good school to choose from.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:52 AM

I will look up ACT/SAT score of both schools to see which one is better academically. Consistent high scores is the best indicator for academics.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:08 PM

88 posts, read 267,735 times
Default Act/sat

Quote:
I will look up ACT/SAT score of both schools to see which one is better academically. Consistent high scores is the best indicator for academics.
greenthinker, mind sharing the website where one can find the ACT/SAT scores for the schools? I have a teenager son who is choosing schools too. Thanks!

Old 10-12-2010, 01:20 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,187,779 times
Quote:
If academics what you are hung up on, and ACT/SAT scores are the "best indicator" in your opinion, then I'm not sure why you asked the question here in the first place. Get the ACT/SAT info, and you are done.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
If academics what you are hung up on, and ACT/SAT scores are the "best indicator" in your opinion, then I'm not sure why you asked the question here in the first place. Get the ACT/SAT info, and you are done.

ACT/SAT is the best indicator for me. The SAT/ACT scores you get from schools are just the average score. From statistics point of view, I still
need to know some other information too. Student background and distribution /deviations of ACT/SAT scores needs to be looked at too.

I will search for ACT/SAT scores. But I don't have any website yet.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:02 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,210,203 times
Quote:
Then you need to spend money and time on Kaplan or Princeton Review because your daughter won't even get her foot in the door if she doesn't score in the 90th percentile or higher on the SAT. Neither school is going to give your daughter an edge over the other. How much time she spends preparing for the SAT, her GPA and extracurriculars will matter most to the those schools. Do you even know how the schools work? They screen candidates (although they won't admit to it) by test scores. Then they look at grades. They claim they look at the entire application but they don't. It's just not feasible to truly read 20,000 applications. They dump about half those by the SAT score (but will gladly take the application fee).

The only type of schools that will give your child an edge in getting admission at an Ivy League school are schools like Phoenix Country Day and Brophy/Xavier due to political connections and relationships those schools have with them. And that too, the edge is slight....it still comes down to test scores and grades.

Bottom line: both are excellent schools. Send her to the one that you and she both like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area