Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The reasons you want to leave Phoenix
Lack of employment opportunities/low paying jobs 52 39.69%
Family/friends/moving to be with/getting away from 15 11.45%
Lack of entertainment/culture/walkability/bored 42 32.06%
Suburbia/stucco/track housing 32 24.43%
Esthetics/sick of the desert/brown/climate 56 42.75%
Politics 32 24.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 04:15 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,403,421 times

Advertisements

I want the PHX of the 80s back. Complete with about 3 million people just going back home.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:18 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I want the PHX of the 80s back. Complete with about 3 million people just going back home.
You and me both. I don't think the last few million have added one iota to the quality of my life.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:23 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,403,421 times
Californians, are the stains, in the underwear of life.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:26 PM

570 posts, read 1,752,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I have commented on your posts before that I think your memory is better than the reality. I, too, grew up in small town Wisconsin. As a teen there was nothing to do but go drink beer (underage) and make out. Half the girls in my high school were pregnant before graduation or shortly after. And speaking of schools, try being a little different in a rural Wisconsin school - say emu or goth or just a loner. Kids in big high schools can always find someone who thinks similarly or dresses like they want to. In those small schools they single you out, bully you, ostracize you and make your life miserable if you are not one of the in crowd, a jock, or a cheerleader. Ever wonder why it's always places "where things like this never happen" where terrible things like school shootings happen?

If you ever get back I hope you find happiness, but my experience in trying to go home is that it's not all it's cracked up to be and memories always seem sweeter than it was at the time you were living through it.
I actually never wanted to leave home. I just wanted the best job I could find without more school so I went in the Air Force. I did have to leave our small town twice when I was a child and went to larger schools in Laramie Wyoming and Texarcana Texas. I must say that they were both much worse for education level, bullying, etc. Someone smoking a cigarette in the bathroom was about the worst thing that ever hapend in my Wisconsin school.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Agree! It was a nice new small city in the 80's.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
That's fine (and a choice). But, just to be fair, one can find that same type of lifestyle in Arizona and even the Phoenix area if one were to look. And there are some great schools in the Phoenix area (Best Schools in Phoenix - Find a Good School in Maricopa County).
Good luck, though, in Bangor. I hope it works out for you.
In Bangor?

Old 10-21-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61scout80 View Post
weather. I never thought i would miss cold winters and snow, but I do. I love this area, but I find myself shying away from the outdoors a lot more then i did in a 4 season climate.

Here I spend the long days of summer sheltered up inside conditioned buildings. Then winter comes, it gets nice out and it's dark out by the time I get out of work. So I end up staying inside doing nothing some more. the weekends are my only escape, but the days are still short.

If I'm going to spend half the year indoors I would rather have the long daylight hours during the nice season, and the short days during periods with undesirable weather.
That is something that crept up on me over the years. When I was younger (20s) we went camping at Apache Lake in a tent in the hottest of days, tubing, went out to bars and such after work with coworkers and friends. Over the years I just kept finding more and more excuses until I turned into a couch potato! I have been working on it this summer, trying to see parts of the state I have never seen, getting the initiative to go to some events and eateries around town etc. It is hard work, actually, but my misery index this summer was not nearly as bad as last even though the heat seemed every bit as bad.

Interestingly, I see the same lethargy take hold of my cold weather relatives. They rarely go to the lake in summer anymore, never go ice fishing like they used to love, and only stay a few days at deer camp!!! Maybe it's the familiarity of it all rather than the weather that makes us stop doing the things we thought we would never stop doing.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuch69 View Post
I actually never wanted to leave home. I just wanted the best job I could find without more school so I went in the Air Force. I did have to leave our small town twice when I was a child and went to larger schools in Laramie Wyoming and Texarcana Texas. I must say that they were both much worse for education level, bullying, etc. Someone smoking a cigarette in the bathroom was about the worst thing that ever hapend in my Wisconsin school.
Ha, Ha. I would swear I know you but the guy I am thinking of is not from Wisconsin. He was at Luke and got married and settled in AZ. His wife loved it here. Then he got divorced and was free to leave but the idiot went out and remarried an AZ native with a big family in Phoenix. Poor guy will never got out of here alive.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:52 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Californians, are the stains, in the underwear of life.
Without them your house would be worth $17,000

Old 10-21-2010, 04:56 PM

4 posts, read 8,593 times
Default Mother of two boys African American

I read a lot of threads on reasons AA should not move to Arizona but those threads were posted some years back. I know this has nothing to do with why people want to leave but could someone please tell me if NOW it's reasonable for a mother of two boys who are also African American to move to Az? I was looking at the Queen Creek Area. Do you think there are modest paying jobs in Az for African American females and what type of schools are there? Curious to find out now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area