U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 10:05 PM

876 posts, read 1,964,184 times

Advertisements

We already have a replacement hood. $180. A good friend of mine does body work, used to work for a trucking company repairing fiberglass and sheet metal. He is going to get it done for the cost of the materials. Good to have friends with skills.

I don't think I am going to have the roof replaced. It isn't damaged to a point where it is irreparable, it is just that it had so many small dents on it, the adjuster recommended replacing it rather than pulling the dents. I will still get a roof replacement estimate from a body shop though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 08:34 AM

22,973 posts, read 24,848,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
The insurance adjuster is looking at a "flat rate manual" that shows something to the effect of it taking xx hours to replace a roof panel, and xx hours to repair each dent. When you add all of the little dents together, you get a total that makes the roof panel replacement look cheaper than the repair of the dents.

FWIW, In my former occupation as a manufacturer's rep, I would not allow my own dealers to replace roof panels under warranty. There aren't many shops qualified to pull off such an extensive replacement without future service issues. Things like windshields leaking, wind noise complaints, etc.

The hood is another matter, I'd insist on a Ford hood though. Nobody else's replacement parts are going to fit as well.
Very valid points! I don't know that I'd want to keep a car that had that much repair work done, just for the reasons you cited.
I also heartily agree that using OEM parts is mandatory!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area