Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 10:28 AM

31 posts, read 109,429 times

Advertisements

Well they told us when we arrived in AZ that all homes here either have got termites or will have termites! After 15 years our home has been hit. Many of he neighbors have had termites one house after another as though the little monsters were progressing down our street in Fountain Hills.

Two weeks ago I noticed the bottom of a mature prickly pear cactus in our front yard was totally covered in termite casts and cutting into it I could see thousands of the termites. My pest control guy told me not to worry as they were a different species from the termites that invade homes. Yeah, right!!!! So yesterday I notice five or six of those vertical "tunnel casts" that termites make on the baseboards in my garage.

Any advice on what has to be done to get rid of the little monsters, how extensive a job the treatment is and how much $$$ we're likely to have to pay would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 03:19 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uk2fh View Post
Well they told us when we arrived in AZ that all homes here either have got termites or will have termites! After 15 years our home has been hit. Many of he neighbors have had termites one house after another as though the little monsters were progressing down our street in Fountain Hills.

Two weeks ago I noticed the bottom of a mature prickly pear cactus in our front yard was totally covered in termite casts and cutting into it I could see thousands of the termites. My pest control guy told me not to worry as they were a different species from the termites that invade homes. Yeah, right!!!! So yesterday I notice five or six of those vertical "tunnel casts" that termites make on the baseboards in my garage.

Any advice on what has to be done to get rid of the little monsters, how extensive a job the treatment is and how much $$$ we're likely to have to pay would be much appreciated.
Treatment for my 1600 sq/ft house with attached garage was about $900~ish. The treatment involves drilling holes in the foundation every couple of feet, then injecting termiticide under the slab. They'll then dig a small trench around the perimeter of the house and fill it with termiticide. My house was done in a day with a two-man crew. All of the currently available termiticides are rated for about 7 years of coverage, after that, it's just luck keeping them out.

Luckily, the termites in our area aren't the type that usually make your house fall down, unless you ignore them for years - they tend to bore through the structure of your house to get what they really love, the paper backing on your drywall.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:22 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
I paid about 600 a couple years ago for my house (2500 sf), but it did not include drilling the garage slab which it sounds like you are going to need. As said above, don't fret over it. Termites are no big deal unless you just neglect it for a long time. Get treated and they will be gone for a few years. They dig a trench at the base of the house and put in the termiticide. The slabs get small holes drilled in them and the stuff is injected through a rod into the soil below. Takes only a few hours.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:38 AM

159 posts, read 397,331 times
And once treated, it's a very good idea to stay on a yearly contract where they come out and inspect each year (or if you see termite signs) and will re-treat as needed. The treatment tends to displace the buggers a bit and they may pop up in a new place after treatment. I have had good service from Terminix

Old 11-08-2010, 05:14 PM

31 posts, read 109,429 times
Thanks to all for your responses and advice. Not quite as worried as I was previously about our termite visitors thanks to the benefit of your advice and experiences. Pest control company says it will send two man team out in a week to treat garage and that since termite problem was covered under contract there will be no charge. I'll believe that when I see it as I've subsequently read bad reviews of this contractors performance. Think that after the work is done I will take MGotcha's advice and look for a reputable company to provide a yearly inspection or re-treat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area