U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2007, 11:31 AM

6 posts, read 38,705 times

Advertisements

My aunt has just moved to Phoenix, a new area, Pecan Creek South, I think in or near Queen Creek. We are about to take a road trip from Houston to Phoenix to help with unpacking and decorating. I have tried to find info on that side of Phoenix, but it must be so new that there aren't many listings. I would like to see some of the sites and experience all Phoenix has to offer. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am looking for things to do that are family friendly and any great little eating places.

Also, if anyone has traveled that route, do you have any advise? I have read a few things about speed traps, gas is available, I love the 80mph zone, what else can you tell me? I will have my mother, sister, four year old niece, and 80 year old grandfather along with me. We are thinking of driving through to Fort Stockton and staying the night, then hitting the road early the next morning. If you have any better ideas, please, I would love to know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 11:45 AM

343 posts, read 473,042 times
This is a wilder west(relatively speaking), which means not many smaller towns to choose from off the freeways. With the crew you have going along, do yourself a favor and stick with the metro areas. I live in the area of your destination, and there are plenty of things to do once you get here. Shopping, restaurants, etc. Get a local paper, or better yet stop in at the Queen Creek Cafe in town for breakfast and read some of the local stuff they have there. They have good food at decent prices. Quite traditional, but not fancy. Downtown Queen Creek isn't very notable, so you can miss it, but it's at the corner of Ellsworth/Ocotillo.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:22 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,064,895 times
Long trip from Houston to Phoenix.

You will be passing through San Antonio - El Paso - Las Cruces - Tucson. Those will be the biggest cities you will run pass through.

Good food in everyone of those cities.

I suggest Chopes or Nellies Cafe in Las Cruces. If you are in the mood for just a burger then it has to be Blakes Lotta-burger in Las Cruces.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:49 PM

Thanks for the info. I am taking notes and I am sure it will all come in handy.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:53 PM

53,345 posts, read 31,852,686 times
I have driven from Phoenix to Houston, and back on Interstate 10, and like Ibarrio mentioned, you'll pass through the cities he/she mentioned. Almost the Entire stretch on I-10 from San Antonio to Casa Grande, AZ, which is about 35 miles south of Queen Creen, is pretty desolate. You'll pass through some very small towns with little restaurants in the stretch from San Antonio to El Paso.

I've driven on that stretch in 1984 and I don't think it's changed much since then.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:58 PM

5,610 posts, read 21,980,827 times
I was about to say to Magnum Mike, "what about Tucson?" but I just realized, I-10 goes through the dumpy edge of Tucson, not really through the city itself. From the highway, it doesn't even look like there is a city there, only a handful of warehouses here and there. If you go a couple miles east of I-10 on Speedway you could check out the UofA area which is pretty neat, some good places to get food on University Ave, some neat shops on 4th ave. Once you've seen that, you can pretty much say you've been to Tucson.

Another question/suggestion: If your final destination is Queen Creek, wouldn't it be better to get off at Tucson, drive up Oracle Rd through Oro Valley, take AZ-77 to AZ-79 to Florence, and go in to Queen Creek through Hunt Hwy? I've done this drive before and it's a lot more scenic than I-10 through Casa Grande, and it might be faster too if you're headed straight to QC.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:03 AM

343 posts, read 473,042 times
The trip through Oracle and Florence is much more scenic, but not quicker. Traffic, four way stops, and going 55-65 mph add up to the longer drive. Stay on I-10 until you hit Riggs Road south of Phoenix and go east until Ellsworth. Done the trip many times.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:43 PM

9 posts, read 45,205 times
I've driven from Dallas to Phoenix a few times - I-10 most of it.

There really is not much to do. Maybe look for fast food with a play land, in the summer it is too hot to play outside.

If your kids like trains then there are plenty of freight routes along the way to watch.

Someone mentioned Casa Grande. I am not sure if they mentioned this or not, but there are two outdoor outlet malls. If you need to do some shopping or want to stretch your legs.

When you get here there is lots to do.
In Queen Creek you can check and see if Schnepf Farms has any activities going on - they are very family oriented, children friendly and very kind people.

Our local pools are very inexpensive, but have limited hours after July 23 when our schools start. I do not know about Queen Creek or Gilbert, but I know Chandler has info on their web site. One of Chandler's pools has water slides, zero entry, and a "water playground" and the entry for a family is just a few dollars. City of Chandler, Arizona

There is an indoor "amusement park" in Mesa, off of Alma School and Guadelupe Rds. It might be a 30 minute drive from Queen Creek but it is air conditioned and the rides are for kids "walking age and up". Welcome To Jeepers!

There is also an ice rink at I-10 and Ray Rd called Polar Ice.

The malls have indoor play areas geared for young children (6 and under).

Have a fun and safe trip!

Old 07-14-2007, 10:52 AM

Again, all great information. I appreciate everyone's advice. We leave Friday, wish us well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area