Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:23 PM

310 posts, read 1,160,304 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

just wanted some opinions from people that have a water feature built in with their pool.

My husband and I are looking to put a pool in our house within the next year- I want a raised wall with a spilling over water feature at the back of the pool. He wants no feature at all.

So for those of you that have features- do you enjoy it? Do you have any problems with it at all? If you had to do it over- would you still put a feature in if you were building a new pool?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 10:38 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
I'd go with the water feature. Aside from being eye candy, it also is a white noise generator. All the other noises in the neighborhood will melt away and all you'll hear the soothing sound of flowing water. We have a water slide and deck jets. We use the water slide way more than the deck jets. Often times we'll just run it for the ambiance. The deck jets are almost too noisy, although they are a lot of fun for the kids.

Our neighbors have a raised-wall spill-over like you're talking about. The only downside of it is that you need to keep up on your pH balance otherwise you may get scaling on the tiles under it which is a pain to clean off.

Just curious, why is your husband against a water feature?

Old 11-15-2010, 11:57 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,755 times
A pool is possibly a bigger money pit than a boat, because the boat doesn't make your house worth less. Get a flowing rock garden or whatever. I've seen used pools, 400 SF, selling for 42,000, house and land included. Would be a negative to someone who wanted to rent out a property, and a huge liability. If money is absolutely no object, and you've paid your dentist and vet bills, and your kids' tuition, and your health insurance, then go for it. The only place to be on a hot, hot Phoenix day--if you are actually stuck in Phoenix for the Summer. Don't expect to add any value to your property by putting in a pool. There are businesses in Phoenix that specialize in converting unused pools to decks, because digging them up costs about the same amount--7000 USD.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:05 AM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
A pool is possibly a bigger money pit than a boat, because the boat doesn't make your house worth less.
The a priori statement that a pool reduces the value of a home is absolutely false. A crappy pool in a crappy home might reduce the value of a home. However in high-end neighborhoods pools are expected and valued.

Besides, the OP didn't ask for opinions on whether or not to get a pool.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:14 AM

64 posts, read 168,016 times
I'd go with a water feature. Our last house had a great waterfall and we loved listening to it even if we were just inside with the windows open. Our house now does not have a water feature with the pool and we had to really spend some time on the area around the pool to keep it from looking like a plain motel pool. We will probably add some type of feature in the future.

Also, I'm not sure if you have kids or not but make sure whatever you choose doesn't become a magnet for adventurous kids. I've seen too many accidents involving kids jumping off slippery water features that were never meant to be climbed on.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:20 AM

240 posts, read 838,094 times
Not in favor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbean View Post
June 08 we moved to valley and rented a house in N phoenix. In the back yard, pigeons would always land on the waterfall that went into the pool. They made a mess, crapped all over everything, and it prob. wasn't very safe, (bacteria from the poop in pool, ect...) <snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
We put a fountain in our courtyard and the minute we filled it with water, we had "new pets". They won't come around when the pump is on though. It's a shame - we only fill it with water now if we're having company over. <snip>
Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
Eh. That's what chlorine and pool filters are for. There were birds near our water fountain all the time; what are you gonna do? Even if we chased away them all, what happens when we sleep and can't? <snip>
Click the to read the full post.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:39 AM

289 posts, read 750,587 times
I have a couple of waterblades that are built into the side of the pool. You can't really see them, unless they are running. They do create a pleasant sound and aerate the water at the same time. They are a nice unobtrusive feature that we enjoy.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:05 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,755 times
Home Improvements Sellers Should Avoid -- AOL Real Estate

Pools made number 6 on the list.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:17 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
The article is correct. Adding a pool will not recover the cost of the pool in a sale. Therefore, in upgrading or rehabbing a home to sell, a pool is "normally" not something to be added.

There are some exceptions. A few years ago, a builder built a new home in Troon (North Scottsdale) and did not add a pool. I was partner with the listing agent and we could not sell the house. Everyone who saw the house wanted a pool. All the other homes in this upscale gated community had a pool.

While the builder would not recoup all his money, he would have sold the house much faster. Meantime the market was declining. He finally had to add a pool, and by that time the market had declined about 25%. But it sold after he added the pool.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:21 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
Water features are a nice addition for a pool. They provide ambiance, and the sound is relaxing. People enjoy watching the moving water.

In our community, on the lake at Val Vista Lakes, most all the pools at homes on the waterfront have water features, and many homes not on the waterfront have water features.

When I show homes, those that have water features will have the pump turned on, and invariably the client will stop for a few seconds to watch the moving water, and make a favorable comment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: