Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2010, 04:23 PM

2 posts, read 14,949 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are moving to the Avondale area (not exactly sure which apartment complex yet) from Minnesota, so we are not sure of any costs. From my understanding, cable and internet would cost around $70. So we were just wondering around how much electric would cost.

Also, which apartment complexes would you recommend?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 08:12 PM

422 posts, read 791,957 times
apartment size?

Old 12-05-2010, 03:22 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Electric is going to vary a lot depending on the size of the apartment, the setting of your thermostat, the construction of the building, the location of the apartment in the complex. It doesn't matter whether it's in Avondale or some other suburb or Phoenix itself, so perhaps other apartment dwellers here can give you some more information.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:46 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,696,169 times
And in general you might consider also that even with new construction if you live downstairs in a 2 story unit for example the rates to cool your apartment will be less than that of the upstairs in most cases.
Summertime AC bills can get up there if you want 72° all the time. Most don't as leaving the house when it's over 100° in the summer from a cooler dwelling is rather tough.
And do you both work or will somebody be home all day.
All factors along with those mentioned.
I have seen people passing through Phoenix in the heat of the day get out of their car heading for the store or restrooms at a gas station that are not used to the heat and are running their AC units in the car very cool nearly pass out within a few steps when they are not used to the heat.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:31 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
I live in northern Avondale but I think electric bills are much the same across the entire metropolitan area.

The variation in costs depends a lot on the size of your home and the age too. Newer houses and apartments are better insulated.

It gets darn hot here in the summertime and so you can expect to pay high cooling bills if you use your air-conditioner day and night.

I think both APS and SRP have an equalizer program where you pay the same amount all year regardless of how much electricity you use, that takes a load off expenses during the hottest months.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 14,949 times
I would live in a one bedroom apartment, so it would be anywhere from 600 to 900 square feet. I'm just trying to figure out an average price so we can estimate about how much money we will need per month including rent.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:46 AM

134 posts, read 514,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMB2010 View Post
I would live in a one bedroom apartment, so it would be anywhere from 600 to 900 square feet. I'm just trying to figure out an average price so we can estimate about how much money we will need per month including rent.
You might also want to check some earlier discussion:
//www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...apartment.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...tric-bill.html
Probably around $60 in "winter" (AC is off)
And $150-180 in SUMMER (AC is ON)
Water/gabbage collection/sewage should be part of the monthly rental.

Compare to a SFH
//www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...12-months.html

Good luck on your new adventure.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:31 AM

674 posts, read 2,552,854 times
The most I ever paid for a 2 bedroom 900+ sq ft apt. was $180 during the summer. My girlfriend stayed home all day and we had a small washer and dryer in the unit.

If you're not home all day then electric should not exceed $150 during the summer. It falls under $100 during the rest of the year, especially winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area