Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2010, 10:24 AM

4 posts, read 6,199 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am currently a student at Colorado State University and will be moving to the Phoenix metro area after I graduate in May. I've been doing some research for quite some time and I have had a hard time deciding where exactly to move.

Being from Ft. Collins, I really enjoy the smaller community (120,000 people). I would prefer not to live in Phoenix so I was considering a suburb.I have family that lives in Scottsdale so I visit at least twice a year. I love Scottsdale, I'm just not sure it would be the best place for me at this point in my life.

I am a 22 year old male and my primary goal is to move down to the Phoenix metro area and hang out for a bit to see if it's truly where I'd like to live. I want to meet people my age, have fun and all that good stuff. I'm also looking for somewhere fairly safe. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 10:30 AM

932 posts, read 1,962,902 times
Visit in the summer and try to stay for a year so you get the jist of the summer heat and the winter chill. Sounds like Tempe or Chandler is for you. Tempe is more college kids, Chandler is more for high-tech jobs and young professionals. Actually Downtown or Midtown Phoenix is fit for you too.

Old 12-19-2010, 10:42 AM

Okay great, I'll look into those locations further. I was just down in August for a week so I got a little taste of the Summer heat.

Would you have any suggestions as to where I might start looking for a house/apartment in Tempe or Chandler? I will be visiting Scottsdale this coming week so I may have a chance to do a little exploration. Is there a certain part of Tempe that is more desirable for someone my age?

Old 12-19-2010, 05:50 PM

652 posts, read 2,711,054 times
I just moved to downtown Phoenix and like it so far. It's affordable, walkable, relatively vibrant and has a younger population.

I would also recommend looking in Tempe but for the most part thats more of a college atmosphere which you may be looking to get away from having already graduated.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:25 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post

I would also recommend looking in Tempe but for the most part thats more of a college atmosphere which you may be looking to get away from having already graduated.
I spend a lot of time fighting this stereotype, which comes from people who don't live in Tempe, maybe have never been south of the campus, and don't know the city very well. A person could live in Tempe and never know the university was there uniess they drove by it or went there for an event or some other reason (which makes it a great resource for those of us who live here). Outside the immediate area of the University, it is NOT "more of a college atmosphere" but a lovely suburb with a lot of amenities and a population ranging from young single professionals to retirees.

Where you should live is going to be largely determined by where you work, unless you love long commutes in a lot of traffic. Get familiar with the area, but don't pin yourself down until you know where you are working.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:32 PM

Good Advice! As of now, I plan on getting any kind of job just to pay the rent. That may change in the future but right now I'm more concerned with moving to the Phoenix Metro area simply to see if enjoy it.

I know very little about Tempe. I've been to the campus but that's about it. I'll probably try to check it out a bit next week. Is there any area of Tempe that is particularly unsafe that I should stay away from? Or is there an area I should stay away from for any other reason?

One of my biggest concerns is just being able to meet people my age. I also kinda wanted to stray away from the feel of big city life, which is why I would prefer not to live in the heart of Phoenix as I assume it would provide that feeling.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:57 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeJayKap13 View Post
Good Advice! As of now, I plan on getting any kind of job just to pay the rent. That may change in the future but right now I'm more concerned with moving to the Phoenix Metro area simply to see if enjoy it.

I know very little about Tempe. I've been to the campus but that's about it. I'll probably try to check it out a bit next week. Is there any area of Tempe that is particularly unsafe that I should stay away from? Or is there an area I should stay away from for any other reason?

One of my biggest concerns is just being able to meet people my age. I also kinda wanted to stray away from the feel of big city life, which is why I would prefer not to live in the heart of Phoenix as I assume it would provide that feeling.
Central Phoenix doesn't have the same "feel of big city life" that you have in other large cities. So, you might still like it. As far as Tempe, there's no significantly unsafe area. Property crimes are higher in the area closer to the campus; the area surrounding Apache Boulevard from the east edge of campus heading east into Mesa is not extremely unsafe, but is an older, lower income area that is not as nice as the rest of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area