U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2010, 04:43 PM

45 posts, read 164,789 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking of moving to Phoenix (among other areas as well) for quite a while.

I will likely be able to sell my current house for 60k-70k.

I don't have much money saved up outside of that... and I don't exactly have a job lined up. My main client for my business has a huge operation in Phoenix, and MIGHT be able to throw a few assignments my way there.... but I'm not sure.

I do have bad credit, but my house is completely paid off... so all that money will go to me. Likewise, I would really REALLY prefer to not have to take out a loan.

What parts of the Phoenix Metro area, in my price range, are any good? I have seen some spectacular looking homes in the 30k-60k range.

I'm not married, and have no kids.

Also are there many jobs for EMTs in Phoenix? I just passed my EMT class and will be getting my state certification pretty soon, and also plan to take the state exam.

I also have extensive experience in the Private Security field. So I'm not sure if there are many security jobs available in the Phoenix area.

My biggest reasons for wanting to live in Phoenix, is the weather, larger population (thus more social opportunities), and more diverse economy. Up here, while the unemployment might be lower... there really isn't a very diverse job field. All the jobs have to do with the oilfields (Maintenence, manufacturing etc).

How safe is Glendale? I have seen some pretty nice deals in Glendale, Buckeye, Avondale, El Mirage, Peoria. Also some in that Western "wing" of Phoenix... but I've heard thats a REALLY bad area. What other areas are there, within reasonable traveling distance, that have good deals on homes... but aren't smack dab in the middle of gang-land.

I used to live in NJ. I've spent consideral time in Newark NJ... so that can be a point of reference as far as crime goes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 05:29 PM

17,848 posts, read 40,249,836 times
Don't get caught up in the "everything west of Central Ave (or I-17) is bad" mantra that gets thrown around here a lot. There are good areas and bad ones, in your price range, you need to be a little careful. Finding a realtor to help you would be a good idea, as what you see online can be deceiving.

Not sure about the job market for EMTs. Seems like private security companies are always hiring, not sure the pay is all that great, it depends on the type of security. You need to get a "guard card" from the Department of Public Safety.

Old 12-27-2010, 05:50 PM

OK... well I don't want to work Security for the rest of my life. I really want to get into an EMT job. But I will settle for working Security for a few months until I find a job at a paid Rescue Squad or Hospital.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:00 PM

17,848 posts, read 40,249,836 times
Sounds like a workable plan. Good luck!

Old 12-27-2010, 06:49 PM

4,206 posts, read 13,140,294 times
I see Pittsburgh is another of your options!...quite a difference....based on the posts in that thread, sounds like Pgh may be a good option, except for that pesky weather issue!....my one and only encounter with Pgh was driving thru downtown on the freeway in a pouring rain....

Phoenix is a very spread-out metro area...many, many choices for living.....good areas can be adjacent to bad areas....the economy may not be as diverse here as you think, but more so than WY, of course....in good years (this isn't one of them!!), lots of construction and tourism jobs....the usual public-sector jobs, financial jobs, some defense and high-tech jobs, and the usual doing-each-other's-laundry jobs.....

as for crime, don't get into selling drugs or into people-smuggling and you'll be fine, probably...use common sense, be aware of your surroundings, don't be a jerk, lock up, and you should be fine, probably......

don't come down here w/o a job and a plan!....AZ is hit harder than WY currently....lots of people looking.....

Old 12-27-2010, 07:14 PM

6,114 posts, read 7,838,078 times
Scope out some places online and try to search actual records for certain areas. Phoenix, like any major city, has it's share of folks that will tell you certain areas are straight outta Mad Max but the often over generalize an area, like the WV for example.

I currently work security. Believe it or not I'm paid more than most general labor positions I looked into when I moved here in July. One of my co-workers has EMT training and says it's very hard to find work in that field because of a bottomless supply of qualified EMT's in AZ.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:20 PM

I know AZDR...

Thing is... Im torn between both. I'd look at houses in Pittsburgh area... and see what the areas is like and then be like "IM CONVINCED!" Then research a bit of Phoenix and then be "Convinced" back to Phoenix.

Thing is, AZDR, if Securitas Security Services is seen hiring very frequently... I think I stand a good chance of landing the job. I've worked for them before, and have a good record with them. Again not the most IDEAL line of work, paywise, but seeing as I will be (hopefully) buying a house outright with cash (no loan), it means I can survive on very little. I also have a high tolerance for heat, but little for the cold.

The only other concern, is traveling home to see my family. I see that flights are cheaper out of Phoenix than they are here in Casper. I just hope they stay that way....

Old 12-27-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Scope out some places online and try to search actual records for certain areas. Phoenix, like any major city, has it's share of folks that will tell you certain areas are straight outta Mad Max but the often over generalize an area, like the WV for example.

I currently work security. Believe it or not I'm paid more than most general labor positions I looked into when I moved here in July. One of my co-workers has EMT training and says it's very hard to find work in that field because of a bottomless supply of qualified EMT's in AZ.
I've seen there are quite a few ED Technician jobs in Phoenix area hospitals, however.

Are ED/ER techs high in demand in Phoenix?

Old 12-27-2010, 11:58 PM

6,114 posts, read 7,838,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC83 View Post
I've seen there are quite a few ED Technician jobs in Phoenix area hospitals, however.

Are ED/ER techs high in demand in Phoenix?
Sorry, bro. No clue about that.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,528 times
JackC83, I put all of my belongings on a flatbed trailer and moved to the Phoenix area for work and I have never regretted it. Phoenix is a very diverse city with a lot of culture. I don't live near where your moving to but I have never had any problems with crime.

To find an EMT job I would suggest finding a local community college that might be able to set you up with a local EMT company.

Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area