U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 11:45 PM

435 posts, read 1,531,015 times

Advertisements

Nothing for 180k except maybe Mesa (a Mexican slum). Wait 6 months or a year until the economy crashes and house prices come down a bit. Oh, one other thing very important. Take a trip out here in the middle of July and spend a lot of time outside.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-30-2006, 07:08 PM

26 posts, read 132,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowThruTheMoon View Post
We are looking to pay around $180,000. Just want a decent, economical place.
I'm sorry, my friend, but for that price, you'll end up living in a part of Phoenix that will require you wear a bullet-proof vest at all times. Seriously, I do mortgage consultations for a living, so I know of what I speak.

The only homes/condos I find at that price are in really, really bad areas of the city. And then, $180,000 is usually the amount of money LEFT for these people to pay on an FHA loan, which means they paid more than that in the first place. The last time you could buy any decent home in the Phoenix area for $180,000 was when Bill Clinton was President. The home we currently live in (3BR, 1½ BA, no pool/fireplace, no frills) was worth $190,000 when we moved in, in 1999. If we wanted to buy it today, it would cost us $400,000.

I've lived in this area for 20 years. When we moved here from Nebraska, one of the moving men was a Native American from Arizona, who gave my family some advice that I wish we'd listened to: "If you're moving to Phoenix, you'd better have MONEY!" Maybe it's not as expensive as some areas of California, but it's expensive nevertheless. Arizona has one of the highest rates of bankruptcy in the nation for a reason.

If your budget only allows you to purchase something under $200,000, please do yourselves a favor and don't move to the Phoenix area. Even the "cheaper" suburbs aren't that much cheaper. I used to live in Tempe (where ASU is), but it's getting more costly now, too, since Tempe revitalized its downtown. Somebody mentioned Chandler, and there are similarly slightly-cheaper areas like Avondale and Goodyear in the west Valley, but one caveat: Because they're relatively cheaper, crime is somewhat higher.

Gang activity is spreading, and you'll even find it in "low-crime" suburbs like Scottsdale, particularly in the southern part of the city.

Another consideration: The cost of living, overall, is higher here, because you have to purchase goods and services you wouldn't have to purchase in other parts of the country. Few people drink the tap water, so you have to buy water. (See the "you know you live in Arizona when" thread on this forum.) Pest control is a necessity almost year-round, monthly during the summer. Distances are long, which means more driving, which means more gasoline consumption. Summers are very hot, which means VERY high cooling bills (esp. when the temps get over 110-115, and you have to run the A/C 24/7). And in a $180,000 house, I can guarantee you won't have good insulation, so plan on doubling the cooling bill.

I'm not trying to be negative, but realistic. It's easy to look at the palm trees and the desert landscaping and think how wonderful it is here--and it is, if you have the $$ and can tolerate the desert's quirks. But you can't live in a champagne society on a beer budget, and I'm afraid that's what you're hoping to do. So I just want you to understand this, before you jump into something that you might not be able to handle.

I haven't been to Albuquerque since 1999, so I don't know what things are like there. I do know it's at a higher altitude, roughly the same as Denver, so make sure you can tolerate high altitudes before moving there.

Old 08-30-2006, 09:22 PM

117 posts, read 400,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverojo View Post
I'm sorry, my friend, but for that price, you'll end up living in a part of Phoenix that will require you wear a bullet-proof vest at all times. Seriously, I do mortgage consultations for a living, so I know of what I speak.

The only homes/condos I find at that price are in really, really bad areas of the city. And then, $180,000 is usually the amount of money LEFT for these people to pay on an FHA loan, which means they paid more than that in the first place. The last time you could buy any decent home in the Phoenix area for $180,000 was when Bill Clinton was President. The home we currently live in (3BR, 1½ BA, no pool/fireplace, no frills) was worth $190,000 when we moved in, in 1999. If we wanted to buy it today, it would cost us $400,000.

I've lived in this area for 20 years. When we moved here from Nebraska, one of the moving men was a Native American from Arizona, who gave my family some advice that I wish we'd listened to: "If you're moving to Phoenix, you'd better have MONEY!" Maybe it's not as expensive as some areas of California, but it's expensive nevertheless. Arizona has one of the highest rates of bankruptcy in the nation for a reason.

If your budget only allows you to purchase something under $200,000, please do yourselves a favor and don't move to the Phoenix area. Even the "cheaper" suburbs aren't that much cheaper. I used to live in Tempe (where ASU is), but it's getting more costly now, too, since Tempe revitalized its downtown. Somebody mentioned Chandler, and there are similarly slightly-cheaper areas like Avondale and Goodyear in the west Valley, but one caveat: Because they're relatively cheaper, crime is somewhat higher.

Gang activity is spreading, and you'll even find it in "low-crime" suburbs like Scottsdale, particularly in the southern part of the city.

Another consideration: The cost of living, overall, is higher here, because you have to purchase goods and services you wouldn't have to purchase in other parts of the country. Few people drink the tap water, so you have to buy water. (See the "you know you live in Arizona when" thread on this forum.) Pest control is a necessity almost year-round, monthly during the summer. Distances are long, which means more driving, which means more gasoline consumption. Summers are very hot, which means VERY high cooling bills (esp. when the temps get over 110-115, and you have to run the A/C 24/7). And in a $180,000 house, I can guarantee you won't have good insulation, so plan on doubling the cooling bill.

I'm not trying to be negative, but realistic. It's easy to look at the palm trees and the desert landscaping and think how wonderful it is here--and it is, if you have the $$ and can tolerate the desert's quirks. But you can't live in a champagne society on a beer budget, and I'm afraid that's what you're hoping to do. So I just want you to understand this, before you jump into something that you might not be able to handle.

I haven't been to Albuquerque since 1999, so I don't know what things are like there. I do know it's at a higher altitude, roughly the same as Denver, so make sure you can tolerate high altitudes before moving there.

I agree with all that except you could buy a nice house for 180,000 in 2003. I bought mine bedroom in Gilbert for 140,000 it even has an inground pool, but I could have bought a beautiful home for 180,000 in Val Vista Lakes in 2003. The party is now over, 180,000 will not take you very far. You wouldn't want to live in the area where you could purchase for 180,000 this is just not that kind of place.

Old 08-31-2006, 07:09 AM

58 posts, read 408,469 times
Default Why Would You Live In This Climate?

Why would any reasonable person decide to live in a climate that is not meant for human habitation. I know the winters are great, but really.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:43 AM

113 posts, read 512,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamter View Post
Why would any reasonable person decide to live in a climate that is not meant for human habitation. I know the winters are great, but really.
And this makes no sense. Let me ask you this. Here, in AZ, for 3-4 months out of the year, its regularly over 100 degrees. The humidity is only 8%, so it might be 115, but it feels like 108. Ok. That being said, it is comparable to living in the north, like North Dakota, Minnesota, Montana, and even some parts of the mid-west-- except it is the other extreme. 15 degrees below zero and humid on a regular basis. I would consider that an inhospitable climate. That too, only is going on for part of the year. 5-7 months.

Trust me, I would rather have 115 degrees and low humidity (115 doesnt happen often either, more like 100-106), 3-4 months out of the year, than below freezing, and even sub-zero 5-6 months out of the year.

Bottom line is, your going to get extreme climates anywhere you go, except for very few places, which have a "perfect climate," according to human standards or opinions. However, these places are usually subject to natural disasters such as hurricanes, tornadoes, severe thunderstorms, etc.

Frankly, you live in the freakin desert. If you dont like the heat, stay out.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrider View Post
And this makes no sense. Let me ask you this. Here, in AZ, for 3-4 months out of the year, its regularly over 100 degrees. The humidity is only 8%, so it might be 115, but it feels like 108. Ok. That being said, it is comparable to living in the north, like North Dakota, Minnesota, Montana, and even some parts of the mid-west-- except it is the other extreme. 15 degrees below zero and humid on a regular basis. I would consider that an inhospitable climate. That too, only is going on for part of the year. 5-7 months.

Trust me, I would rather have 115 degrees and low humidity (115 doesnt happen often either, more like 100-106), 3-4 months out of the year, than below freezing, and even sub-zero 5-6 months out of the year.

Bottom line is, your going to get extreme climates anywhere you go, except for very few places, which have a "perfect climate," according to human standards or opinions. However, these places are usually subject to natural disasters such as hurricanes, tornadoes, severe thunderstorms, etc.

Frankly, you live in the freakin desert. If you dont like the heat, stay out.

Agree you have extreme climates everywhere. Give me AZ heat compared to below freezing anyday I'll take it

Old 08-31-2006, 10:30 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,263,246 times
I think the biggest problem with so many people living in the desert is not the heat, but the water. So many people living in such a dry, hot place with so little water. I mean, almost every major river in Arizona is dammed to such an extent they no longer flow. The Salt River is a dry, dusty ditch by the time it goes through Phoenix. That’s not just effecting the environment, that is destroying an entire ecosystem.

But don’t worry about that. Just kept driving your massive SUV and playing golf on over irrigated courses.

Old 08-31-2006, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
I think the biggest problem with so many people living in the desert is not the heat, but the water. So many people living in such a dry, hot place with so little water. I mean, almost every major river in Arizona is dammed to such an extent they no longer flow. The Salt River is a dry, dusty ditch by the time it goes through Phoenix. That’s not just effecting the environment, that is destroying an entire ecosystem.

But don’t worry about that. Just kept driving your massive SUV and playing golf on over irrigated courses.

Not me.........In the imortal words of REO Speedwagon, It's time for me to fly.

Old 08-31-2006, 01:05 PM

62 posts, read 259,286 times
Quote:
golf on over irrigated courses.
Golf courses are irrigated with recycled waste water, same with most grass lawns. (dont htink you will be drinking that?)

Quote:
I think the biggest problem with so many people living in the desert is not the heat, but the water.
For now our reservoirs are fine, but water will be a problem in the future. It should be a preliminary concern but for now its not drastic. And how is it destroying the entire ecosystem? We are killing off wildlife? What do cities do? You think Chicago, New York, DC, SF arent killing wildlife/environment? Please. Most freshwater bodies near these major cities are disgusting. Phoenix is not alone here and hardly has a greater effect than what NJ pumps into the air. Phoenix is much less disastrous to its surrounding environment.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:50 PM

6 posts, read 21,377 times
Mesa is where i live and its alot of barrios except parts of east mesa my cousin was just shot a couple of weeks ago on alma school twice in the stomach almost died 2 of my friends died from gangs and 2 more got shot from gangs on 8th avenue and country club so housing cheap but its a little ghetto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area