Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 07:55 AM

184 posts, read 902,062 times

Advertisements

Hi, we have been on the New Mexico area of the City forums, asking this same question. I grew up in Southern Cali, but my husband and I currently live in LONDON, ENGLAND, because of his job. We have narrowed things down to Rio Rancho, New Mexico, which is a suburb of Albuquerque, or a suburb of Phoenix, AZ. We want cheaper housing, and a good place to raise our kids. My husband needs to complete a masters degree, so we require a close University for that, and we want to start out in an apartment in the area we will buy a home, then save up for a while. We want to know what people think, who have lived in both a Phoenix suburb, and in suburbs of Albuquerque. I have traveled to both places, but want an insiders view. The pay scale to housing ratio is about the same in both places, but I know inflation has caused many problems for AZ residents... they are sitting in a house they would have to pay money to sell. To me, it seems in the next few years, this could be an issue in NM as well. Mostly we have heard from people in Phoenix who hate it, that recommend suburbs of Albuquerque, but is there anyone who thinks thinks the opposite, and would recommend AZ? Any opinions welcome.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:01 AM

436 posts, read 681,707 times
..PHX living over London, England? Even with the lousy London weather & living expenses - only with a gun held to the head.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:27 AM

Thumbs down London is a glorified dump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_2 View Post
..PHX living over London, England? Even with the lousy London weather & living expenses - only with a gun held to the head.
This city is in about the same shape as NY was in the late 70's. Can't wait to leave!
AZ vs. NM that is our dillema.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:46 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,698,300 times
I live in Scottsdale which is an upscale suburb of Phoenix. I truly love it here and don't plan on moving. The real estate market in Phoenix has slowed but that'll be good for both of you. Houses aren't neccesarily cheaper but because they're sitting longer on the market, sellers are offering incentives.

I don't know what you mean by "cheap" housing. A cheap home in L.A. is $400,000 while a cheap home in Minnesota is $100,000. Do you know where you'll be working? Are you willing to commute?

I assume your husband will be going to ASU (Tempe) almost everyday? Tempe is a fairly nice area to live in if you don't mind college kids running around. There are also some great pubs and resturaunts in the area.

I prefer Scottsdale because of the atmosphere. It isn't exactly on the cheap side but I find it's worth every penny. You have thousands of resturants, pubs, shopping, entertainment, etc all within a 5 minute drive (well, 15 in rush hour traffic).

Another city I highly recommend is Fountain Hills. Small town (about 25,000 people) and is stunning. Another area I wouldn't mind calling home. Houses are cheaper than Scottsdale but still well-above the average.

Do you have family in either city? To me it was the 2nd largest factor in deciding where to live.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do!

Old 08-20-2006, 01:21 PM

Thank you! Its great to hear from someone who has a positive outlook on a Phoenix suburb. Not many people have given a positive perspective. Cheap housing for us... I guess I meant more affordable. We are looking to pay around $180,000. Just want a decent, economical place. No family in the area to consider, so we can move freely, no issues. Thanx for the input.

Old 08-20-2006, 05:34 PM

57 posts, read 71,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowThruTheMoon View Post
Thank you! Its great to hear from someone who has a positive outlook on a Phoenix suburb. Not many people have given a positive perspective. Cheap housing for us... I guess I meant more affordable. We are looking to pay around $180,000. Just want a decent, economical place. No family in the area to consider, so we can move freely, no issues. Thanx for the input.
Seriously, I'd rather chew my own arm off than live in a 'suburb' of Phoenix. It is is horrid!

Old 08-21-2006, 08:47 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,757 times
Quote:

180,000 is the problem for something decent in a decent area. Would you consider maybe a condo or townhome? Than try Chandler, Gilbert, South Tempe. Decent you can get but ample space I'm not sure what you need.

Old 08-22-2006, 03:21 PM

62 posts, read 266,911 times
Yes, check out what a1m1700 suggested. Chandler is a great place to live, same with Tempe and housing is much cheaper there than Scottsdale.

Albuquerque has more charm than Phoenix as its a much smaller city. But with large population comes with more benefits. Much more to do in Phoenix, better retail, more dining options, professional sports, etc. I would suggest a suburb of Phoenix over Albuquerque anyday. Check out http://forum.skyscraperpage.com for more opinions. A greater number of Phoenicians and a wider age, and much greater maturity. (Aussiegirl, how old are you? Just Wondering If you can't provide a constructive and helpful reply, don't reply.) Whether you have something negative or positive to say about Phoenix, be mature about it. Saying "I would never live there" is not helpful to her and it gives her no comparions between ABQ and Phoenix.

Arrowthroughthemoon, what are your interests? What are you looking for in where you move besides cost?

Old 08-22-2006, 10:48 PM

2 posts, read 14,782 times
Default Phx vs ABQ

Quote:
Hi, we have been on the New Mexico area of the City forums, asking this same question. I grew up in Southern Cali, but my husband and I currently live in LONDON, ENGLAND, because of his job. We have narrowed things down to Rio Rancho, New Mexico, which is a suburb of Albuquerque, or a suburb of Phoenix, AZ. We want cheaper housing, and a good place to raise our kids. My husband needs to complete a masters degree, so we require a close University for that, and we want to start out in an apartment in the area we will buy a home, then save up for a while. We want to know what people think, who have lived in both a Phoenix suburb, and in suburbs of Albuquerque. I have traveled to both places, but want an insiders view. The pay scale to housing ratio is about the same in both places, but I know inflation has caused many problems for AZ residents... they are sitting in a house they would have to pay money to sell. To me, it seems in the next few years, this could be an issue in NM as well. Mostly we have heard from people in Phoenix who hate it, that recommend suburbs of Albuquerque, but is there anyone who thinks thinks the opposite, and would recommend AZ? Any opinions welcome.
I was born in Phoenix and grew up in both Phoenix and Albuquerque. While both cities have pro and cons I personally would take Phoenix over Albuquerque any day. There is a lot more to do in the Phoenix area and the weather with the exception of July-September is great. If you like wind, dirt and tumbleweeds move to Albuqerque.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:18 PM

435 posts, read 1,575,848 times
Hmmm... a "suburb" of Phoenix. Isn't that an oxymoron?

I've never lived in Albuquerque, but having visited I'd say that it definitely has much more culture, character and charm than Phoenix. It's much less of a "concrete jungle; it seems far better assimilated into its desert environment rather than paved over it. It's much closer in resemblance to Tucson than Phoenix in terms of overall feel. The Sangre de Cristo Mountains are absolutely stunning, and the weather's much milder than Phoenix. Terrific biking/hiking nearby, Santa Fe's an awesome place for those types of things & it's only about a 45-minute drive. Taos has some of the most fantastic skiing in North America, and it's about 3 & 1/2 hours away. Similar crime problems, similar school underfunding issues to Phoenix. I'd take Albuquerque, given the choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area