Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:32 PM

6 posts, read 39,153 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give feedback about these builders and whether they have a good or bad reputation in the valley base on your own experiences and word of mouth?

I suppose for the more affordable homes, I've heard the big builders in the Valley are Pulte, D.R Horton and Shea Homes. With the more expensive homes being T.W Lewis and Toll Brothers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 10:40 PM

50 posts, read 332,145 times
I would like to know as well. I suppose their will be a mixed review since each builder has thousands of customers.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:13 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Reminder here, folks, consumer complaints on the forums are a violation of the TOS.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:15 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2005 View Post
Can anyone give feedback about these builders and whether they have a good or bad reputation in the valley base on your own experiences and word of mouth?

I suppose for the more affordable homes, I've heard the big builders in the Valley are Pulte, D.R Horton and Shea Homes. With the more expensive homes being T.W Lewis and Toll Brothers.
You are right on target with your assumptions. I think all have good reputation, but like anything else, they subcontract a lot of their work so as a buyer you need to keep an eye of the work that is being done. Just because it is a new home does not mean that everything has been done correctly.

The difference in pricing probably comes in the quality of the materials and the amount of options available. It is easier (and cheaper) for D.R. Horton to build 300 homes all alike than it is for Toll Brothers to build 20 that are "semi-custom" with different materials and options.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:14 PM

15 posts, read 86,174 times
Don't take anyone's word as gospel so do your own research. Google the builders with adjectives like "construction defect" and see what turns up. I have a D R Horton. I should have ran when I had the chance. From what I understand Centex-Pulte has good quaility. Check jdpower dot com for well researched data.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:17 PM

106 posts, read 361,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missudpat View Post
Don't take anyone's word as gospel so do your own research. Google the builders with adjectives like "construction defect" and see what turns up. I have a D R Horton. I should have ran when I had the chance. From what I understand Centex-Pulte has good quaility. Check jdpower dot com for well researched data.

I always thought DR Horton was a good builder. BUT, I never built with them. Homeowners who have I guess would be the best bet. I built with a great builder in my local area a few years back, all my neighbors used another builder and had tons of issues while we had very little.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:52 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,274,050 times
I would start by looking at the JD Power customer satisfaction ratings of these builders. As far as quality, they all use the same subcontractors to build their homes, so its not really an issue to me. The JD Power rankings will at least show you how satisfied the buyers were with the builder, and how they respond to warranty issues, etc

Old 01-10-2011, 01:17 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,777,481 times
My 31 yo townhouse was built by Shea, thick walls and floors. Pulte has been real good on the East Coast, and is possibly better than Lennar, or at least the US Homes portion of Lennar.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:04 PM

54 posts, read 202,268 times
I am a DR Horton owner and also a Realtor so I know of the builders pretty well. I really like Lennar, Dr Horton and Pulte. Dr Horton makes a good solid product but tend to nickle and dime you for things you dont really expect to be paying extra for. (Ceiling fan pre-wire, garage door opener, more then one phone, cable outlet) The customer service is pretty good for service calls as well. The base price seems lower then Lenner but the good thing about Lennar is there price includes all those things. There are positives and negatives to all. If you have more questions feel free to drop me a message.
Good luck to you!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
After owning around 14 homes so far the one thing I've found to be true is no matter who the builder is it's ALL about the project foreman and if they took ownership of the project and had pride in their work when it was built.
I've seen top notch builders who had cruddy houses (cabinets falling off walls in $500,000 houses) because the project foreman was lazy or stupid or both and let the subs do subpar work. I've also seen lower end houses built very well because the foreman took ownership and made sure there were no corners cut like short nailing, short studding,scabbing wall studs together etc.
If I don't build it myself then I would rather buy a few year old house since any defects should have shown up by the 3rd year or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area