U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 11:01 PM

22 posts, read 105,923 times

Advertisements

We really want to move to Arizona. Our main reason for leaving California is to buy a nice house with a nice pool, in a nice area, with good schools. This is very hard to do in Los Angeles. So, for anyone that has moved from California to Arizona, how do you like it, was it worth it to move, how are you coping with the weather, are you happy?

Everyone on this site is freaking me out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 11:09 AM

9,537 posts, read 29,573,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tann22 View Post
We really want to move to Arizona. Our main reason for leaving California is to buy a nice house with a nice pool, in a nice area, with good schools. This is very hard to do in Los Angeles. So, for anyone that has moved from California to Arizona, how do you like it, was it worth it to move, how are you coping with the weather, are you happy?

Everyone on this site is freaking me out.
What part of Arizona are you considering?

The weather varies in Arizona much the same as it does in California, if not more.

I relocated to Tucson from Northern California about ten years ago and have never regretted the move.

Good Luck and I hope this helps a little.

! ! ! !

Old 07-17-2007, 11:53 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,152,287 times
Loving it. Moved from Palmdale (L.A. area) to Surprise (Phoenix Area).

Old 07-17-2007, 12:02 PM

3,887 posts, read 9,599,529 times
Hey, maybe while your here you can make that "good schools" thing come true. If all the Cali's move here maybe we will get a decent school system out of it. I hear CA schools are better, is that true?

Old 07-17-2007, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I hear CA schools are better, is that true?
All I can tell you is that the curriculum is much tougher in California. They take teaching to the test serious in Cali.

How many first grade classrooms in Az have to write a report on a historical figure and give individual presentations to their entire grade? Edit to add that they had to dress the role as well.

How many first grade classrooms in Az have individual science projects in which they have to create a visual presentation and give a classroom presentation on the results of their experiments using the scientific method?

My daughters first grade class in California did.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:18 PM

9,537 posts, read 29,573,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Hey, maybe while your here you can make that "good schools" thing come true. If all the Cali's move here maybe we will get a decent school system out of it. I hear CA schools are better, is that true?
LOL @ Twiggy

Obviously you haven't spent much time in and around Los Angeles lately.

! ! ! !

Old 07-17-2007, 12:18 PM

72 posts, read 221,717 times
Well......we just moved from Los Angeles (SF valley) to Chandler just about two weeks ago. So far I am able to deal with the heat and doing indoor stuff. I miss taking the kids off to the park, but I realize that even there I wouldnt take them out in 90F, anything beyond that is just hot. It is more peaceful here, things are more calm down. I get more time to take kids to the park and read them books then driving around trying to get from one place to another.
You will miss:
The cooler evenings
The more "lived-in" city feel
Out door things to do besides SHOPPING
Beach
KNOWING that if you wanted to, you could drive just a little bit and go to a theme park.
You might like:
Clearner open feel
Less rush to do things
Hopefully better schools (I dont know about that till Aug 6th when school starts, they are going to Kyrene)
ABLE to buy a house (I am renting now and trying to see where I would like to settle in. Thats why we moved here as well to buy a house)

You WILL be misreable if you are an out-doorsy type. If you are mostly indoor person, you wont miss much. Almost any store you can find there you can find here. SHOCKER for me was that everthing costs the same, I was hopeing for less. If you want to ask me anything else, just ask.......

Old 07-17-2007, 12:21 PM

72 posts, read 221,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
All I can tell you is that the curriculum is much tougher in California. They take teaching to the test serious in Cali.

How many first grade classrooms in Az have to write a report on a historical figure and give individual presentations to their entire grade? Edit to add that they had to dress the role as well.

How many first grade classrooms in Az have individual science projects in which they have to create a visual presentation and give a classroom presentation on the results of their experiments using the scientific method?

My daughters first grade class in California did.
WOW! I think you must be either sending your kids to private school or must be lucky to have such a strict teacher. My son was going to a school in Porter Ranch, million dollar houses, and wasnt chanllanged that hard in 5th grade!!!

Old 07-17-2007, 12:26 PM

They went to a magnet school (IB, language, and performing Arts). It is the Best school in Palmdale. However, the negatives of the area out weighed the positives of the school.

In the stupidity of the school board they are phasing the school back into a regular campus due to the explosive growth. In three-four years the school will not exist anymore.

That is the reality of California schools, Overcrowding and out of control growth. Not bad curriculum or even bad teachers.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:27 PM

3,887 posts, read 9,599,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
LOL @ Twiggy

Obviously you haven't spent much time in and around Los Angeles lately.

! ! ! !
Well, I was comparing burbs. If it's inner city than you obviously haven't spent much time in Phx. It doesn't get 1/2 the funding that L.A. gets to clean up it's schools. The criminals (gangs), are from Cali to, not just the homeowners.
My grandfather and his new wife live in Valencia/ fullerton border and he really loved it, he left here for there. But no kids. Believe me we spend every summer there just like the rest of zonie does. You'll soon be one of us, so I'd listen up.
I asked a legit question though, I really mean it. Unlike Cali, we are accepting a lot of people here. Have you seen our educational rating, it's terrible. It was on the national news, for laughs, I'm sure. I thought if more people moved here for the cheap housing and a little american dreaming it might trickle down to more people voting on educational needs. We need more people who make a difference here, and don't just "eat a the buffet "if you know what I mean. If not you'll soon be moving to TN or Texas.lol I was hoping it would be the family people hopping the border. Maybe I'm the dreamer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>