Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 11:07 AM

86 posts, read 293,819 times

Advertisements

Do u use less Ac in dry heat in Az then you would in Fl in humid heat? Average cost of Ac in the summer in Az in a 1300sq ft home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 11:14 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,392,518 times
I think there are different types of AC units used in both areas. I may be wrong, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am, but those in drier climates often use swamp coolers. I've heard they are cheaper to operate but ineffective during the more humid months in AZ.

I am in AZ and have a standard electric AC and our bills for August on a 1300 sq. foot home run just under $200 a month. I am pretty conservative and like it warm when I'm the only one home (80 degrees usually). My home is all tile flooring which helps and we have ceiling fans in every room.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:46 PM

412 posts, read 679,573 times
You may notice that you won't have to set the AC to as low of a temperature as you would in FL, because you won't be removing nearly as much humidity from the air, a higher setpoint can be more comfortable.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:56 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,685,213 times
Your answers will vary considerably in this area - there are a couple of different electricity providers, with varying rates, and significant differences in construction in the area. I have friends with similar-size homes who claim to have never seen a peak bill over $150, and others who would tell you $500 is a low summer bill.

Whether you're home or not during the day, and your preferred thermostat settings can make a large difference as well. Electricity during peak summer hours can cost $.25 per KW, and off-peak winter pricing sometimes drops below $.05 per KW, depending on your provider and rate plan.

Generally speaking though, many people don't even turn on the A/C until daytime temps top 80 or so. From what I remember of my trips to Florida, 78 degrees with humidity can be pretty stifling.

For my 1600 sq/foot home with lots of energy upgrades, my highest summer bill was $220 - and I left my thermostat @ 74. My brother's 800 sq/foot home with no energy upgrades had a higher peak bill, and he leaves his thermostat @ 80.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:17 PM

13 posts, read 33,130 times
Nicolee, My place is 1200 sq feet and I keep it around 78-79. I'm going to say my bills average $400 in the warmer months which can be several months.

It can still get pretty hot here even though the humidity is less than FL. The sun beats down on you and can be unbearable at times. We see temps around 115 at times.

Are you moving from FL? I lived there for 7 years. I think even though we don't get the humidity here, it can feel hotter than FL. Just my 2 cents.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:05 PM

86 posts, read 293,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethesun View Post
Nicolee, My place is 1200 sq feet and I keep it around 78-79. I'm going to say my bills average $400 in the warmer months which can be several months.

It can still get pretty hot here even though the humidity is less than FL. The sun beats down on you and can be unbearable at times. We see temps around 115 at times.

Are you moving from FL? I lived there for 7 years. I think even though we don't get the humidity here, it can feel hotter than FL. Just my 2 cents.
Actually I live in Pa but my sis lives in longwood Fla. we find that a bit to humid and also the cost of living is much cheaper in Az. Do you like it better in Az?

Old 01-18-2011, 08:09 AM

13 posts, read 33,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoleeee View Post
Actually I live in Pa but my sis lives in longwood Fla. we find that a bit to humid and also the cost of living is much cheaper in Az. Do you like it better in Az?
I like some things here and some in FL. I'm looking to buy a home here and there is so much Section 8 in all the neighborhoods that I'm having second thoughts. My electric bills in FL were alot less for the same size place I rent here. In FL, my average summer bill was no higher than $200. I don't think that the cost of living is less here. You pay more for some things and less for others. Do you have a job lined up because unemployment is rediculously high here?

Old 01-18-2011, 08:24 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:

LOL! Close the windows.

To OP:

A 1300 sf house will cost about 100-150 to cool (cost above low use winter month) in July and August. It will ramp up starting in May and go back down after September. Be sure to get a time of day rate.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:11 AM

710 posts, read 3,391,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
LOL! Close the windows.

To OP:

A 1300 sf house will cost about 100-150 to cool (cost above low use winter month) in July and August. It will ramp up starting in May and go back down after September. Be sure to get a time of day rate.
That's actually a pretty good ballpark. Our electric runs about 60-70 in the winter (gas furnace) and gets to be about 250 in the peak of summer.

Much less attic insulation than I'd like, and builder-standard windows. CHEAP.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:10 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
If you are paying that much, there is either something wrong with your unit, or it is old and ineffecient, or your windows/doors are not airtight. In that size house, at that temperature, that's too high. A friend is living in a rental that needs work on the windows and he has bills not quite that high for a bigger house. Get that checked out before next summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area