Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 02:18 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The shooting event was beyond tragic, as we all know. But. What mystifies me about AZ is why so many people rushed out to buy guns immediately afterward. I mean, what is it with AZ and guns? We're not talking shotguns for when there's a rattler on the front porch. We're talking semi-automatic weapons.

Guns sales jumped nationwide (at least in areas where such sales are allowed) not just AZ. They always do after these tradegies. The press surmises it was because of a gun ban fear, but I think it has something to do with the insecurity people feel after such events and the notion that gun ownership/carrying would protect them. As for AZ being armed, well no one apparently had a gun in that Safeway lot other than the murderer. Gun advocates would argue if someone had, the outcome might have been different.
Well, actually, there was someone there who had a gun. When interviewed afterwards, he stated that he came very close to shooting the person who got the gun AWAY from the shooter, not the shooter himself. He's pretty happy he didn't pull the trigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 03:02 PM

624 posts, read 1,246,921 times
I guess New York ...(the writer was from New York) never has any murders...oh those two highjacked planes...the Time Square Bomber...

Old 01-26-2011, 03:31 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times
"Spiteful and hateful" would be appropriate labels for Chicago. No other city I'm familiar with is more racially divided and populated with angry people.

I don't support Arpaio's cruel incarceration methods nor his penchant for skirting the law, but I do support SB1070 like the majority of this state and enforcing our borders. To equate such a belief with racial bigotry is a poor argument for the issue of race isn't the focus, it's the fact that laws are being broken.

Phoenix is NOT a city of hate and Tucson isn't either. Does anyone still hold that Dallas is a city of hate because of the Kennedy assassination?

The Tucson tragedy is being milked by the media as an attempt to make it a symbol of our times, when it is really a symbol of our underlying violent nature, something the entire human race must own up to. More importantly, the tragedy is evidence of a culture that hardly notices that it is going insane. But try to persuade the media to report on that not-so-subtle fact!

Last edited by mhouse2001; 01-26-2011 at 03:41 PM..

Old 01-26-2011, 03:45 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
The New Times is hardly a beacon of unbiased journalism. I stopped reading it a long time ago....

Old 01-26-2011, 04:18 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
"Spiteful and hateful" would be appropriate labels for Chicago. No other city I'm familiar with is more racially divided and populated with angry people.

I don't support Arpaio's cruel incarceration methods nor his penchant for skirting the law, but I do support SB1070 like the majority of this state and enforcing our borders. To equate such a belief with racial bigotry is a poor argument for the issue of race isn't the focus, it's the fact that laws are being broken.

Phoenix is NOT a city of hate and Tucson isn't either. Does anyone still hold that Dallas is a city of hate because of the Kennedy assassination?

The Tucson tragedy is being milked by the media as an attempt to make it a symbol of our times, when it is really a symbol of our underlying violent nature, something the entire human race must own up to. More importantly, the tragedy is evidence of a culture that hardly notices that it is going insane. But try to persuade the media to report on that not-so-subtle fact!
Can you imagine the outrage if the shooting had taken place in Phoenix itself, and the shooter had committed the act out of political reasons and the victim was a left-leaning liberal?

Instead, the shooting took place in liberal and Democratic heavy Tucson. The gunman had no political motivation and was a schizophrenic. And the victim was a conservative Democrat.

In other words, there is nothing remotely political about this event yet politicians and some media members chose to use this event to grandstand when in reality this was nothing more than a mentally ill person shooting a politician he was infatuated with. I remember the reaction immediately following the shooting and people immediately came to the conclusion that the shooting was politically motivated. The Tucson sheriff made an emotional and irresponsible blanket statement about the entire state without having all the facts about the situation.

I'm not a fan of Michele Bachmann but I totally support her stance on this issue. The response to this tragedy and blaming Arizona was completely out of line and illogical. Using this incident to indict the entire state is completely asinine. The unprofessional gut reactions by some writers was truly appalling. These are professional writers after all and not some anonymous person on a chat forum. The lack of objectivity by some of these writers was truly astonishing.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:25 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Can you imagine the outrage if the shooting had taken place in Phoenix itself, and the shooter had committed the act out of political reasons and the victim was a left-leaning liberal?

Instead, the shooting took place in liberal and Democratic heavy Tucson. The gunman had no political motivation and was a schizophrenic. And the victim was a conservative Democrat.

In other words, there is nothing remotely political about this event yet politicians and some media members chose to use this event to grandstand when in reality this was nothing more than a mentally ill person shooting a politician he was infatuated with.

I'm not a fan of Michele Bachmann but I totally support her stance on this issue. The response to this tragedy and blaming Arizona was completely out of line and illogical. Using this incident to indict the entire state is completely asinine. The unprofessional gut reactions by some writers was truly appalling. These are professional writers after all and not some anonymous person on a chat forum. The lack of objectivity by some of these writers was truly astonishing.
I wanted to "Rep" you for this post but couldn't. I completely agree.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:39 PM

117 posts, read 160,382 times
Its because its from the Phoenix New Times. I bought 2 issues from them and i have never such bias crappy writing in my life, i hqve never seen a magazine goes as far as to spread lies and purposefuly misrepresent facts so obviously.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:02 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyspameamil View Post
Its because its from the Phoenix New Times. I bought 2 issues from them and i have never such bias crappy writing in my life, i hqve never seen a magazine goes as far as to spread lies and purposefuly misrepresent facts so obviously.
Wow. You were conned big time. The NewTimes is free.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:50 PM

117 posts, read 160,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Wow. You were conned big time. The NewTimes is free.
my bad i was thinking of Phoenix magazine. But the same can be said for Phoenix New times. I picked up an issue 2 months ago and there was an article about illegal immigration that was pretty bias.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:11 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisismyspameamil View Post
my bad i was thinking of Phoenix magazine. But the same can be said for Phoenix New times. I picked up an issue 2 months ago and there was an article about illegal immigration that was pretty bias.
Indeed. The New Times is radical leftwing drivel. If they actually charged money it would go out of business. I read it only once in awhile, typicall when I take the light rail. Anyone looking for objective journalism needs to look elsewhere. That is, if objective journalism still exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area