Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2011, 10:21 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,567,566 times

Advertisements

I'd be curious as to what the Phoenix natives feel about the plans to bring big, flashy neon signs downtown and placed in Phoenix?
Will this work? Will it ugly-fy the city? Is it worth the effort ultimately is the real question.

Here is the article:

Big flashy signs aim to energize Phoenix sports district
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 11:22 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
They look great out at Westgate. Makes it look modern, techy, trendy. Downtown could use all of that to help get rid of its dying, dead, no vibrancy feel.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:40 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
I would argue that downtown does need something 'sparkly' added to it, but when I went to the UofPhx stadium area in Glendale, I was overwhelmed. However, it couldn't compare to what confronts a fan in Chase Field. I thought the electronic bombardment was too much to handle and have never returned. Yes, apparently, it makes somebody money. But if we're going to add something to make downtown livelier, it should be done with good taste and restraint. If that saves money somewhere, then funnel the rest into making the sidewalks more pedestrian friendly. We need vendors, small shops, and mom and pop operations mixed in between all that brutal exposed concrete and imposing reflective glass. Just my 2c.

Expanding... Ideally, the area south of Washington/Jefferson should be revitalized with apartments over businesses with small urban 'parks' in empty shaded lots. It is an arts district isn't it? Perfect location for downtown workers who don't want to spend their day commuting. How about making all those empty blocks south of Roosevelt and north of Van Buren the same kind of neighborhood? Make 'First Friday' seem like it goes on every night. It should! That whole area could be a wonderful tax-free or enterprise zone capitalizing on the existing art galleries and burgeoning ASU downtown campus. We can call it SoRo for south of Roosevelt. Practically every city has its funky hip neighborhood. Phoenix really doesn't have one, and that's sad.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 02-14-2011 at 11:50 AM..

Old 02-14-2011, 12:14 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
As I understand it (I just heard about it this morning) they are going to be around the Jefferson St garage, put up by a company that was formed by the D'backs and Suns. It isn't as if they are going to be all over downtown.

Last edited by observer53; 02-15-2011 at 01:22 PM..

Old 02-15-2011, 11:44 AM

299 posts, read 666,825 times
Neon signs for what? Suns and Diamondback games, and venues that very vew people attend? Brilliant idea, flashy Vegas-styled neon signs drawing attention to an already dead downtown. How about bringing more activity and vibrancy downtown 1st and then advertise it in flashy lights?

Old 02-15-2011, 01:25 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Just so we know what we are talking about:

Flashy signs aim to energize sports district

Old 02-19-2011, 03:36 PM

20 posts, read 43,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecoming View Post
Neon signs for what? Suns and Diamondback games, and venues that very vew people attend? Brilliant idea, flashy Vegas-styled neon signs drawing attention to an already dead downtown. How about bringing more activity and vibrancy downtown 1st and then advertise it in flashy lights?
This apparently makes too much sense.

I just don't get it. It's like Groundhog's Day Downtown. Phoenix loves to go all style, no substance, and it never works.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:12 PM

4,135 posts, read 2,838,158 times
It can't hurt, why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area