Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 07:01 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,351,522 times

Advertisements

We were recently driving on US 60 in Mesa, and looking at the lighted street name signs off the exits in Mesa's Fiesta district, they are RED. If anyone thought Chandler's brown signs were odd, this is the only time I have ever seen red street name signs.

I wonder what was the reason for Mesa choosing red street name signs for the Fiesta district. I wonder what AZDOT feels about them.

In New Mexico, NMDOT was ticked off by Albuquerque's decision of using blue street name signs on a state highway (NM 448), when state highway laws require them to be green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 09:35 PM

1,112 posts, read 4,001,175 times
I like when cities play with the stoplight and sign designs for special districts. Details like these can do a great deal to change the vibe and atmosphere of a place.

I imagine they meet transportation guidelines, but ADOT really only has control over state highways, so I'm not sure they can do much about what happens on city streets.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:33 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,328,339 times
I agree with CodyW. Especially if a city is investing money to improve a city neighborhood and/or highlight it for a particular use, it seems like a great PR move. Lots of places put up banners or flags, but new street signs seem like a serious investment that signals the determination of whomever designated this as the Fiesta District. I say, "Ole!"

Old 08-03-2011, 12:48 PM

183 posts, read 550,368 times
While I can understand the character aspect of the intent, there are purposes for having standardized color for signs.
When I'm looking for street names to get to a destination, I key in on the color green.
It's hard enough having to deal with traffic, distractions, and responsibly drive, without having to use valuable seconds to adjust for color.
Of course this is coming from the position of a professional driver.
I would hate to someday explain to a cop that I didn't see the pretty purple stop sign.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:37 PM

1,112 posts, read 4,001,175 times
I think there's a difference. Signs that deal with traffic laws themselves never change. They're standardized to the book. You're not allowed to alter a stop sign. Road name signs are, for all intents and purposes, NOT required from a city standpoint. They are meant to guide and aid motorists. Yet still, there are some major intersections (particularly on the northwest side) that are not fully signed.

It's a matter of finding where you're going. We're not talking state and federal highway regulations here. Those stay green. A city stoplight, owned and paid for by the city, placed by the city, can have a sign in any color, or none at all. Just as long as the lights are still red, yellow, and green.

As for finding your way.. I've never really had a problem with it. As long as it's legible. Some colors are bad for that. Red isn't the perfect color, but neither is green, honestly. Besides, more and more people are using GPS, right? :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area