U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-01-2011, 08:14 PM
 
47 posts, read 86,650 times
Reputation: 61

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
The OP asked a question and you elected to hijack the post and turn it into a real estate agent bashing post.

Is getting information from a real estate agent who knows the area and is limited in what they can say due to the Fair Housing Anti-Discrimination laws any worse than information from the exaggerations of some of the Phoenix haters and Phoenix worshippers, and those that would discriminate?

Why don't you just answer the persons questions instead of attempting to hijack the post by turning it into a Realtor bashing post.
Real Estate agents do a great job at "bashing" themselves. Just pointing out to a person making a life changing decision that there are some extremes they may want to investigate before canonizing the rhetoric of a small % of biased individuals.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 02-01-2011, 08:39 PM
 
Location: Surprise, Az
3,502 posts, read 9,037,789 times
Reputation: 1856
I moved to Surprise 4 years ago after spending 10 years in Palmdale, CA.

What I like
The Weather
The Sports (Spring training, NFL, NBA, Golf, NASCAR, Hockey, MLB, and so on)
Friendly people
The outdoor activities (Lakes, Hiking, Fishing, Camping)
Good food/restaurants
Good beer selection (California is better in the craft brew scene but Arizona is good)
Good Bars/Clubs
Family
Friends
City is easy to navigate and traffic is mild compared to L.A.
Easy access to casinos and poker rooms.
Good concert stop
Great health care/hospitals
educational opportunities

What I dislike
Weird Politics (Snowbird vs right wing vs liberal Californian vs tea party vs white separatist)
Lack of support for education, in terms of money and personal value.
Border crime (Drugs, murder, kidnapping, dirty police on both sides of the border, over zealous police, political pandering from officials on the issue)
Lack of jobs
Housing market
Lack of traffic is ruined by insane drivers
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-01-2011, 10:37 PM
 
17,841 posts, read 39,737,024 times
Reputation: 10534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillage Your Village View Post
Real Estate agents do a great job at "bashing" themselves. Just pointing out to a person making a life changing decision that there are some extremes they may want to investigate before canonizing the rhetoric of a small % of biased individuals.
The real estate agents on this forum are required to identify themselves as such. This poster, as with many others, has been advised to take everything at the extremes with a grain of salt, even a large one. That would go for overly positive posters (who are not all real estate agents) and the consistently negative ones, which would include you as well as several others.

A 24 year old single person moving from LA to Phoenix is hardly making a huge transition that can't be undone if a better opportunity in another location presents itself.

Let's stick to the topic.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-02-2011, 10:26 AM
 
106 posts, read 339,917 times
Reputation: 59
That was a great response. Is there really a lot of border crime that affects Phoenix? Especially in Surprise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
I moved to Surprise 4 years ago after spending 10 years in Palmdale, CA.

What I like
The Weather
The Sports (Spring training, NFL, NBA, Golf, NASCAR, Hockey, MLB, and so on)
Friendly people
The outdoor activities (Lakes, Hiking, Fishing, Camping)
Good food/restaurants
Good beer selection (California is better in the craft brew scene but Arizona is good)
Good Bars/Clubs
Family
Friends
City is easy to navigate and traffic is mild compared to L.A.
Easy access to casinos and poker rooms.
Good concert stop
Great health care/hospitals
educational opportunities

What I dislike
Weird Politics (Snowbird vs right wing vs liberal Californian vs tea party vs white separatist)
Lack of support for education, in terms of money and personal value.
Border crime (Drugs, murder, kidnapping, dirty police on both sides of the border, over zealous police, political pandering from officials on the issue)
Lack of jobs
Housing market
Lack of traffic is ruined by insane drivers
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-02-2011, 12:23 PM
 
77 posts, read 417,797 times
Reputation: 62
I agree, I wish more people would just make a list like this guy did- tell me what they like & don't like.. Even though I know I have to go visit that place before I make a decision, I can still get a great deal of info- & even rule out areas through what I find by researching, talking to people etc..

But yeah, thanks for that List of things you like & don't like ibarrio!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-02-2011, 06:16 PM
 
2,942 posts, read 6,030,974 times
Reputation: 1208
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianguitarist27 View Post
I've spent Hours on this forum, I've read all kinds of stuff.

Please tell me, right here- Be flat out honest with me.
Write to my In Box if you have to.

Do you like it In AZ? And/Where ever it is in AZ you live/use to live.
Do you Hate it? Or Dislike it in AZ/ Where ever you live or use to live.

Please tell me! I can take it! I don't even live there! I live in L.A. Area of California.

I was thinking, can you please think of everything- and tell me about it?
The people, the neighborhoods, the weather, etc.. Is it really ghetto? or what? just tell me! Some people were holding back, didn't want to say what they don't like- Don't hold back! this is my LIFE! I am considering AZ! Tell me please!

Also, I was looking at: Mesa, Scottsdale, Phoenix, Tucson etc.. Are those places so small that everyone sorta knows everyone? Suppose your single- is it tough? I mean.. I'm in L.A. It's HUGE!! I mean.. there's like a lot of people here. I just have no idea what it's like anywhere else. Thank you!

Thank you very much!

And I know, of course I'm going to check it out. But also, for now- just write me back with some info- thank you very much!

L.A. is not too far away. I really suggest you visit and check it out for yourself. There is not a picture one can paint that would be truly accurate to what your experience will be. You should not take anyone's opinions as gospel, and some you should throw right into the trash can. So take what you read with grains of salt. Have an open mind. That's the best advice I can give.

For me, I really like Arizona. I think it is truly one of the great states in America. I like Phoenix (currently live in Goodyear). Tucson was not as nice as Phoenix, but not bad either--there are some really good aspects of it.

Pretty much anywhere is what you choose to make it. Having a positive attitude can go a long ways.

Good luck!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 02-04-2011, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Surprise, Az
3,502 posts, read 9,037,789 times
Reputation: 1856
Quote:
Originally Posted by need_some_sun View Post
That was a great response. Is there really a lot of border crime that affects Phoenix? Especially in Surprise?
Not a lot of border crime in Surprise but it is part of the metro area and border crime is an issue in Phoenix (Arizona in general). 1 suspected drug murder in Surprise - actually the only murder in a two year period. Like every city in the nation there are drugs in Surprise.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-26-2011, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
95 posts, read 189,029 times
Reputation: 55
Hey there,
I have lived in Az since i was 2 years old. (i am 29 now) I currently live in mesa, and have lived in Phoenix. Scottsdale has some nice areas, but tends to be pricey. It's one of the"fancy" cities

Tucson....i would not recommend. Not a whole lot going on, especially if you are looking for a thriving dating/social scene. I could be wrong as I have never lived there, That's just my personal opinion from what i have observed there.
Gilbert has a lot of nice areas and is very family oriented. Feels cleaner and safer as well.

Mesa is a mixture of ghetto and suburbia. Gilbert and Mesa are both very LDS cities. (not complaining, just stating facts) The dobson ranch area is nice, thats where i currently live.
Mesa has a very large hispanic population...especially the closer you get to Downtown.

Having said all of that....I will be relocating to Oregon within the next 6 weeks or so.
I crave some natural beauty...trees, ocean, etc. I'm way tired of the desert.
Everything here, to me, is just kinda washed out and brown.
And the summer here SUCKS. I personally don't think people were meant to live in that kind of heat. Most of the neighborhoods (almost all of the newer ones) are cookie cutter homes.

Az no longer works for me, but as you can see, some people love it here. I am hard pressed to find people happy about the weather when its 115 degrees, but i'm sure they do exist.

Feel free to message me if you have more specific questions, and i would be happy to do my best to answer them!

Good luck!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-26-2011, 02:26 PM
 
1,514 posts, read 3,259,956 times
Reputation: 2866
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceloveandtattoos View Post
Hey there,
I have lived in Az since i was 2 years old. (i am 29 now) I currently live in mesa, and have lived in Phoenix. Scottsdale has some nice areas, but tends to be pricey. It's one of the"fancy" cities

Tucson....i would not recommend. Not a whole lot going on, especially if you are looking for a thriving dating/social scene. I could be wrong as I have never lived there, That's just my personal opinion from what i have observed there.
Gilbert has a lot of nice areas and is very family oriented. Feels cleaner and safer as well.

Mesa is a mixture of ghetto and suburbia. Gilbert and Mesa are both very LDS cities. (not complaining, just stating facts) The dobson ranch area is nice, thats where i currently live.
Mesa has a very large hispanic population...especially the closer you get to Downtown.

Having said all of that....I will be relocating to Oregon within the next 6 weeks or so.
I crave some natural beauty...trees, ocean, etc. I'm way tired of the desert.
Everything here, to me, is just kinda washed out and brown.
And the summer here SUCKS. I personally don't think people were meant to live in that kind of heat. Most of the neighborhoods (almost all of the newer ones) are cookie cutter homes.

Az no longer works for me, but as you can see, some people love it here. I am hard pressed to find people happy about the weather when its 115 degrees, but i'm sure they do exist.

Feel free to message me if you have more specific questions, and i would be happy to do my best to answer them!

Good luck!
I hope you LOVE the rain. I'm on the Oregon coast with plans to move to Phoenix because of the rain.
It's rained here every day for the last 41 days. I have seen the sun 3 times in that period and the weather outlook for the next 10 days is the same. Rain with wind.
Good luck with the move. I do so hope you enjoy it.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-26-2011, 02:50 PM
 
278 posts, read 579,676 times
Reputation: 173
I just posted yesterday how I love it here. Have been here one month now. The only other times I've been here were in July, hot, and I loved it then. I live in Ahwatukee and LOVE it here because I see mountains everywhere and live with a park across the streets with bars and other amenenties (sp???) in walking distance.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top