Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2011, 02:15 PM

65 posts, read 212,548 times

Advertisements

Hello all.
I am a retired lady living alone. I am currently in a very safe area that isn't a fit at all from cultural, political, etc, respect. Also, a warmer clime would be better for me, not a huge health issue, but somewhat of one. My income is approx. $16000 yr, not much, but best to be honest for accurate replies. I am wanting to rent at least a two bedroom with fenced yard area.
Can anyone give me any advice as to what area might be best. Culturally, I am not particular as the city of Phoenix isn't that far from any of the outlying areas, and that has the cultural things I'd look for. So I need to know what area is safest and what would be the rental costs there. Also, does anyone know of any senior duplexes, houses or apts.? Those sometimes have lower rental costs.
Thanks very much for your input.
Adreana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2011, 02:33 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,502,974 times
I would start with Sun City, Sun City West, Sun City Festival, Sun City Grand, work my way through Surprise, Goodyear, Buckeye (Sundance has a 55+ retirement section and prices may be more in line with your budget), Avondale, Litchfield Park (especially "inside the wall"), and then to the east valley where cities like Gilbert, Queen Creek, Chandler, etc, might have some options.
With your tight budget, it will take some looking around to find something that meets your needs. I'm not sure exactly what you can afford per month, but under $600 will be real tough, and $600-$700 has some options, but not a lot of good ones (if any). Obviously, the more you can budget for it the better place you can get.
Good luck!

Old 02-06-2011, 02:39 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,328,502 times
Check out the "Villas at Mary T" in Casa Grande. They are all two bedroom units with a garage in a 55+ community. This is not a trailer park, and although the units are connected on one wall, they are all single story units and more like little condos. My mother lives there as she is on fixed income also and loves it. They have a little clubhouse and a van that takes you shopping once a week if needed...a pool area for grandkids or whatever.

Its in a very safe area of Casa Grande very close to shopping and the hospital etc....

Units rent for under 700.00 a month and some units are subsidized even further depending on income etc....

Oh, no fenced yards, but every unit has a little outside patio area that people personalize quite a bit.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:55 PM

When I researched Gilbert the cost of living was lower than the average for the US. As well, the crime rate was rated as low, 3 for violent crime, and alittle higher for property crime [on scale of 1 to 10]. For these reasons I considered it and thought rental housing would be less expensive. Thanks for your input.
Adreana

Old 02-06-2011, 03:17 PM

142 posts, read 933,141 times
Gilbert is a fine city, but what are you looking for in terms of socializing, free time, etc? If you want to spend time with people in your age group you may want to find communities that are either retirement communities or border those. I live up in Glendale, AZ in the Arrowhead area and Sun City/Sun City West is right down the road. Lots of activities for seniors or those close to retirement. Also, if you ever intend to buy both those cities have lower property taxes because they don't have to support schools so that could affect your expenses further down the road, just something to think about.

Sun City is an older community as is Sun Lakes and you might find some very well priced options in those areas. Keep in mind that Sun Lakes is southeast of the Phoenix area and Sun City is northwest. Will you be visiting beforehand? I would suggest doing what Ritchie suggested: start in the northwest area: Sun City, Sun City West, Surprise, Goodyear areas and then move east to Sun Lakes, Gilbert, and Mesa.

Old 02-06-2011, 03:42 PM

Very useful information. Thanks! I do want to make friends, a big reason for moving. I am a liberal person in a right wing and Christian fundamentalist small area, and there isn't much here for me from an emotional /intellectual aspect. Also, I am white, but ethnic, not always accepted. But my housing is very safe, and very inexpensive for what I have. With the uncertain economy, and my modest income, moving is scary. But have wanted to move for years.
adreana

Old 02-06-2011, 03:53 PM

39,017 posts, read 51,036,829 times
It's pretty right wing around here, too. Phoenix is conservative. The right wing controls the state legislature. There are enough democrats in Tucson to combine with a few independents in the Phoenix area to elect someone other that a Republican to state office once in a while. But it is rare and has been getting more rare of late.

The area is not fundamentalist Christian but Gilbert has a large Mormon population and the LDS church has an outsized influence on city hall, schools, etc there. It's the closest thing we have to "bible belt".

If conservative political attitudes are bothering you where you now live, you should have serious reservations about Phoenix.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:04 PM

Ponderosa,
Thanks for the info. The Phoenix area is large enough and diversified enough that I think I can find a decent number of folks with my interests and outlook. I am currently in a place with a pop. under 30,000. I don't need to be friends with the neighbors, I just need to be able to visit like minded folks and be involved with things that interest me, and I can't imagine not finding those in a place as huge as Phoenix.
adreana

Old 02-07-2011, 12:36 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,037,795 times
Sun Lakes....it's in Chandler. google it. My parents live there. They own, but neightbors rent. There are 4 areas within the property, some being older and a little bit cheaper to rent. It's a 55 or older community.

THey also have a condo area called Renaissance, but it is super expensivo!

Old 02-07-2011, 09:02 AM

111 posts, read 208,379 times
Default To: Adreana

I sent you a PM. Check your Direct Message in-box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area