Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:33 PM

8 posts, read 80,093 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of putting a really comfortable leather (thick durable tyoe leather) couch on my covered patio. Is this a bad idea? I would cover it when not in use with a sheet or something and probably bring it in during summer months when too hot to be outside. I like the idea of having a "living room" on my very large covered patio. Worried mainly abt spiders or scorpions making a home between or under the cushions. Thx for your comments! Haven't lived in AZ very long!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 08:39 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
It's pretty common around here for people to put the old couch in the front yard when they buy a new one, so the outdoor living part is well-recognized. Also, leather in cars holds up in the heat. The key is shade.

I don't know about scorpions, but dust is going to be all over it. You will need to be wiping it down constantly. The advantage to outdoor furniture is you can take a hose to it.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:16 PM

8 posts, read 80,093 times
Hahaha. Yes, the old couch on the front porch along with an old refrigerator or 2...

I am not worried about the dust as I will keep it covered when not in use. The area is actually a very large tiled and elevated patio/balcony about 10' above ground level with lots of cover. Mainly worried abt critters making a home in the couch.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:23 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,167 times
I would definitely not do a leather couch outside. The dust would be horrible. The low humidity and sun will dry out and crack the leather. They make plenty of real outdoor furniture. To me, a living room couch outdoors is tacky. Amd of course critters and spiders will get into the cracks and crevices.

Old 02-15-2011, 03:46 AM

13 posts, read 65,384 times
Get a wicker set at walmart

Old 02-15-2011, 11:09 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
I would also be concerned about the little pacrats getting a craving. They can do some damage here.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:52 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,776,857 times
Some HOAs prohibit the use of indoor furniture on patios and decks. Read your CCRs.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:30 AM

3 posts, read 31,413 times
I, too, want to put my leather sofa on the lanai. The reason is, that I'm getting a pool table that I'm putting in the living room. I need all the space I can get. I'm just doing it.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:08 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolsmileyface View Post
Get a wicker set at walmart
Be careful of wicker, too. It dries out terribly. For durability your best bet is wrought iron or cheaper plastic that you don't mind replacing every few years

Old 06-15-2017, 12:24 PM

700 posts, read 918,325 times
The strong UV and heat destroy outdoor organic materials, in my experience. I used to enjoy drying clothes on a line outside once upon a time -- they looked so clean; but the cost is they will weaken a lot sooner. I had a 1970 VW cabriole with a rag top; and despite a car cover all day, it needed replacing twice in a decade. Even filtered or reflected light is strong. I knew a field geologist who got too much sun through her clothes.

Metal furniture is hot, but it will last; cushions are easy to replace. (You might notice some homes are built with metal window casings; they endure and don't rust to speak of.) Wicker sounds like a pretty good idea, because it will be cool to sit on; the sun will destroy it, but wicker is inexpensive to replace. There are modern materials that can handle the UV better, like Sunbrella fabrics. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glen_Raven,_Inc.)

Yes, critters do enjoy upholstered furniture. Our cat used to dive through the back flap of the sleeper sofa for a dark nap spot inside or to escape monsoon storms; but one time she got a bad sting by a black widow who lived in it.

Last edited by ElleTea; 06-16-2017 at 08:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area