U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 12,204 times

Advertisements

I live in CT, and our company has offered me and my husband job offers in Phoenix. So I was playing around with a cost of living calculator on CNN, and our income equivalent in Phoenix would be 150k. I know home prices in AZ are on the lower end in the country but how are the cost for food, transportation, utility, etc.? Would 150k be enough a husband and wife with no kids to live comfortably?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 04:13 PM

35,908 posts, read 45,993,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECgirl25 View Post
I live in CT, and our company has offered me and my husband job offers in Phoenix. So I was playing around with a cost of living calculator on CNN, and our income equivalent in Phoenix would be 150k. I know home prices in AZ are on the lower end in the country but how are the cost for food, transportation, utility, etc.? Would 150k be enough a husband and wife with no kids to live comfortably?
The only thing that is going to be significantly different around the country is housing and taxes. Both are going to be much lower here than CT. Someone with 150K would be doing very well. Of course, "equivalent" income is no match for the real thing.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:15 PM

88 posts, read 245,464 times
That depends upon your definition of comfortable. I'm married with 4 kids at home, ages 21, 18, 14 and 12. Live in a better part of town with a good school district. Total family income is probably around 60-65K, and we just squeak by. You should do fine.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:33 PM

582 posts, read 1,380,604 times
You will do fine. Connecticut has an established economy and housing and the commute is the only thing that really affects your cost of living. Housing is of course more plentiful and cheaper here, groceries may be cheaper as there are a lot of Super Wal Marts here and the grocery industry is very competitive.Your commute should not compare at all the the east coast.

Your water and electric bills may be higher in the summer here, depending on how much grass you have and the square footage of where you live, but the lower bills in the winter should offset it.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:52 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,368,857 times
I believe you will find fresh produce to be much cheaper and fresher than CT. Costco prices will be very similar. Wal-mart is losing lots of business to the 99 cents only stores, which actually sell fresh produce here, as well as a great selection of detergent and other cleaning items.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:45 AM

16 posts, read 38,541 times
I'm sorry guys, but what kind of post is this? $150K and asking if they will live comfortably. You have to be kidding me with a question like this. You would be good in just about every single part of the counrty. Can't you see what jobs pay in AZ and see the amount of people who are on here posting daily? I just think this is a rub it in and look at "US" thread. Sorry if I'm wrong, but I just can't see someone even having to ask such a question.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:16 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,142,407 times
I only wish I made remotely close to that annual salary.

Phoenix is pretty good to live comfortably because the cost of living is reasonable compared to lots of other large metropolitan areas.

Don't be fooled though.

Some costs are quite a bit higher than average, vehicle registration, water bills, summertime power bills are three that come to mind. Gasoline prices here aren't exactly the lowest in the nation either.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:25 AM
S&N

1 posts, read 12,075 times
Default Misery?

As Im considering moving to PHX area from CT too. Asking if 150k is comfortable is most definitely a fair question. It's all in perspective. In CT(where I've lived for the past 4 years) 150k is a drop in bucket because of the proximity to NYC. 150k doesn't buy someone much around here. 600k for a 3 bdrm 2 bath fixer upper built in 1962 and smells like grandpas old chair....if your lucky.

Someone asks a fair question, they should get a fair answer. Not bashed on a website that can provides answers.

Or maybe that's why your handle is "midwestmisery."
I lived I the Midwest for 25 years. It's a great place to live. Now everyone here is looking for advice as to how potentially great phx is.

Have a great day!

Old 02-25-2011, 09:54 AM

6,098 posts, read 7,809,303 times
You likely won't make $150k here but you should still do fine. My father went from banking $150k in Chicago to just under $90k in Scranton, PA. It was a little step down when all was said and done be he still did plenty fine. Your salary is all relative to where you live but that you already know.

Rents are a lot cheaper here too. I low end apartment where I lived in the Chicago burbs was $650 and I pay $100 less than that in Tempe.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:09 PM

582 posts, read 1,380,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMisery View Post
I'm sorry guys, but what kind of post is this? $150K and asking if they will live comfortably. You have to be kidding me with a question like this. You would be good in just about every single part of the counrty. Can't you see what jobs pay in AZ and see the amount of people who are on here posting daily? I just think this is a rub it in and look at "US" thread. Sorry if I'm wrong, but I just can't see someone even having to ask such a question.
Having grown up in Phoenix and lived in The Bay Area for many years and traveled a lot, a dual income of $150,000 is not all that much when a decent sized home costs $700,000 to a million plus, where gas is .30 more a gallon and you use 2-3 tanks of gas a week, where a 2 bedroom apartment costs $2000-$3000 or more a month, where discount grocery stores don't exist and the major supermarkets like Safeway have "zone pricing" like in San Francisco or New York City where everything down the aisles is 10-20% higher than in suburban areas, where the lifestyle is urbanized and parking charges and bridge tolls eat away chunks of your income.

People who live in the northeastern major metro areas, Chicago, and California are able to live there because the wages are adjusted for the higher cost of living.

The house that is on the King of Queens lived in by the main characters of the show costs over $600,000, which in real life would be unaffordable for a legal secretary and UPS driver as their tv jobs portray, living in the New York area. $150,000 in joint income would be about what they would need to get a home only slightly better than that.

So yes this couple will be somewhat comfortable in Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: