Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 12:29 PM

38 posts, read 56,298 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am brand new here and after reading so many informative threads I decided to create an account.

I have a girlfriend who moved out to AZ and was able to live a dream life in AZ, she accomplished this in just 3 yrs!! brought a home, drives her dream car, and has a great job...not to mention she is a single mom!! She has offered me the opportunity to live with her a few months until I can get on my feet and I and so grateful for the offer. I am not looking for paradise but I wouldn't mind if it was well rounded there. I am a prospective nursing student (finished all of my prerequisites) and it is very competitive out here to get into a program. My destination location is TEXAS but I don't want to move there until I have finished my nursing degree and have visited a couple times to make sure it's for me. I think Arizona would be a great place to start.

I have lived in Cali all of my life. I grew up in San Diego, I've lived in LA and I now live in Menifee ca. It's a small town 1 hour north of San Diego (Temecula area). Anyone who know about this place know that there is nothing much out here for a single person. I want a change for the new year. I am sick and tired of the high cost of living, and lack of employment and the weather is overrated, especially during the summer (it gets very hot during the summer) I know I don't sound like your typical Californian but I really don't like it out here. I am looking for a better opportunity. My main focus is the weather. My biggest concern is the heat. I have heard horror stories about Arizona heat and I even know a couple people who moved there from cali and moved back Bc they couldn't handle it. In the same token I have also met people who like it and made a good living for themselves living there. people continue to move there and stay so I want to give it a shot. I am a girly girl, I love hair and makeup and to look nice. Is that possible with heat out there? During the summer months in cali it ranges between 90s and low 100s and I am miserable during this time, so I am not a fan of the hot weather., however I love nature and from the looks of it Arizona is beautiful. I wonder if I can deal with the heat if I had other things to be happy about such as a good job, money, a place to live and such?

I would love to get feedback especially from people who have moved there from cali or other state that way it's unbiased. I want the good, bad, and the ugly. The more detail the better. I would also like to know about night life, I don't do clubs but is there any events for Black singles such as spoken word and live music bars? These aren't important but it's a bonus

Thank you so much in advance. Best wishes for the new year!

Foxy

Last edited by Foxychoconaps; 01-03-2015 at 12:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2015, 12:57 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
OP, race is not much of an issue here. There isn't a huge black population but you shouldn't run into any issues.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 01-03-2015 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: Deleted quote and direct response to it removed

Old 01-03-2015, 01:06 PM

How about the weather?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 01-03-2015 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: Deleted quote

Old 01-03-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxychoconaps View Post
How about the weather?
What about it? You really don't know what the climate in Phoenix is like? You'll need to ask specific questions to get help.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
What about it? You really don't know what the climate in Phoenix is like? You'll need to ask specific questions to get help.
I visited Vegas last year and it was so hot that I cut my trip short after 24 hours of being there. They describe that heat as dry heat. I have also been in the Caribbean islands where the heat is super thick and humid and I have been able to endure it. I need to know what the highs are and is that year around? Thanks in advance for your time

Old 01-03-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
I visited Vegas last year and it was so hot that I cut my trip short after 24 hours of being there. They describe that heat as dry heat. I have also been in the Caribbean islands where the heat is super thick and humid and I have been able to endure it. I need to know what the highs are and is that year around? Thanks in advance for your time
If you left Vegas due to heat, I don't recommend moving here. I believe Phoenix is even hotter. The summers are very hot and mostly dry. With that said some 6 million+ people live here so it is certainly liveable.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
If you left Vegas due to heat, I don't recommend moving here. I believe Phoenix is even hotter. The summers are very hot and mostly dry. With that said some 6 million+ people live here so it is certainly liveable.
yikes!!! Thank you for your honest response. With so many people making it work I want to at least give it try, even if it's for 1 yr. I appreciate it

Old 01-03-2015, 01:51 PM

241 posts, read 386,546 times
if you can't stand Temecula you absolutely will not make it in AZ. I'm very familiar with the SD area and PHX is MUCH hotter for a MUCH longer period of time. Save yourself the time and go straight to TX if that's what you desire. Avondale isn't exactly a paradise.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassfeeder View Post
if you can't stand Temecula you absolutely will not make it in AZ. I'm very familiar with the SD area and PHX is MUCH hotter for a MUCH longer period of time. Save yourself the time and go straight to TX if that's what you desire. Avondale isn't exactly a paradise.
Awwe im so bummed the reason I wanted to stop at AZ was for the opportunity and make and save some money b4 I moved to Texas. I can't stand Menifee weather but I tolarated it. When I went to Vegas it was for the Fourth of July weekend and it was reported as record highs. For me that was my max I believe it was 108 at night and higher during the day

Old 01-03-2015, 02:03 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Awwe im so bummed the reason I wanted to stop at AZ was for the opportunity and make and save some money b4 I moved to Texas. I can't stand Menifee weather but I tolarated it. When I went to Vegas it was for the Fourth of July weekend and it was reported as record highs. For me that was my max I believe it was 108 at night and higher during the day
I doubt it was 108 for long after the sun went down in Vegas, but if that was too hot for you, Phoenix is not the place for you, sorry.

Last edited by observer53; 01-03-2015 at 02:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area