Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 09:27 AM

278 posts, read 622,724 times

Advertisements

Okay, for those who have helped, I'd love to do a meet up at a place called Bleechers (not sure if the spelling is right.) Bleechers is in Ahwatukee, 85044. Is that okay?

It's freezing rain in the midwest...I know, I know, the summers here are HOT..close to hell hot. But still...freezing rain and snow for 6 months out of the year??? Ill take the heat. Anyway, I'm painting and refinishing cabinets, I love it.

Thanks to all for the great advice and always responding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 10:38 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Do you mean Bleachers Sports Grill??? Never been there, but I googled it.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:14 PM

278 posts, read 622,724 times
Yep, that's it, Bleachers Sports Grill.....I'm going to set a time and date soon. Could be just you and me.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:53 AM

453 posts, read 1,627,831 times
congratulations on your move. I too came from IL midwest and have been here 5 years. Yes, it gets hot here, but do I miss IL? NO WAY!!!! The first year I did, but after that I now think of AZ as my home. You will love it here, there is soooooooooo much to do. You live right next door to me, I am in Chandler.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:45 AM

271 posts, read 838,937 times
Welcome to Phoenix! We've been here 3 years (from Boston) and love it. When I arrived, I only knew two people (my husband's son and daughter-in-law). We've met so many great people since our move, both in our neighborhood and out socially. For example, this past week I met two girlfriends for a leisurely lunch at Cafe Bink in pretty Carefree, went to a benefit for my friends Amy and Kirti Saturday Night: FnB Supports TinyFabKidney Fund - Phoenix Restaurants and Dining - Chow Bella, have a lunch planned with a friend at The Herb Box at Southbridge (perfect patio and outdoor bar for the gorgeous 80 degree weather coming up!) and am attending a "Grilled Cheese Throwdown" this weekend at 5th and Wine.

Contrary to the doom and gloomers on this board, we've found it easy to meet kind and friendly new friends in the 3 years we've been here. I'm sure you'll find the same too! I also agree with shadow91, there's so much to do. I don't even bother responding now to the same posters who say people aren't friendly, there's nothing to do, there are no great restaurants, you can't breathe the air, there are scorpion, roaches, and snakes everywhere you look, etc. It's simply not true.

Last edited by Rubee; 03-01-2011 at 12:18 PM..

Old 03-01-2011, 02:21 PM

16 posts, read 40,340 times
I'm glad hear from someone who just arrived in the Phoenix area tht it's great down there. There are too many people on here talking about and giving Phoenix a bad rap. I don't know if it's because they are upside down in their mortgages and have a bad taste because of it or if they just want to keep outsiders from moving there. Either way they sure do a good job of getting people to second guess the move. I myself plan to take a trip with the wife this summer to get my own personal perspective of the Phoenix area. I want to come down at the hottest time of the year to see just how bad it can get. We are pretty excited about the trip and the possibility of moving there. The wife is a little concerned about whether or not we can get jobs, but that is something that we will ahve to see when we get down there. I'm sure we will get an idea of how things will be once we see it for ourselves. I hope you continue to love the area and hope you are all welcoming to some new neighbors from the Midwest when we make our way down.

Old 03-01-2011, 04:25 PM

271 posts, read 838,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMisery View Post
I don't know if it's because they are upside down in their mortgages and have a bad taste because of it or if they just want to keep outsiders from moving there.
I wonder that myself....

Old 03-02-2011, 07:16 AM

24 posts, read 44,719 times
Hello there - I agree that it is nice to read some good threads about Phoenix. I've been looking into moving there. We are here in snowy Rochester, NY. I don't want to say bad things about this city. It truly is great here. I just need, need ,need, some sun! I've been trying to convince my husband to relocate for years. Our temporary stay here has turned into fourteen years! My kids woke up this morning and were depressed by the snow. (I never complain in front of them). They are desperate to ride their bikes!

We've been to Phoenix before and I fell in love the first time I saw those mountains. We've also explored the Raleigh, NC area. We have family there. My preference is Phoenix, though. My husband is a tough one to convince. He is definitely done with Kodak. He is looking into other job prospects, but would like to stay here.
I've researched things he said he would miss here. If we want cold weather, we can travel north, right? There are actually apple farms and pumpkin farms too,I've read, which surprised me. Also there are lakes in the area for boating.

He also tells me I won't like the spiders and scorpions. Is it really that bad? We have bugs and critters here. I've already seen a plump black spider in our basement that I couldn't catch. I affectionately call her Charlotte.
I assume folks in Phoenix take appropriate measures to exterminate, right?

Of course our main concerns are jobs and schools. We have friends there who are doing well and are trying to talk us into moving. They have found good jobs and their kids are thriving in the Maricopa area. I have to investigate more into the schools, public, charter, any advice?

Well I'm off to scrape snow off my car. Good day to all and thanks for reading.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:23 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm1013 View Post

He also tells me I won't like the spiders and scorpions. Is it really that bad? We have bugs and critters here. I've already seen a plump black spider in our basement that I couldn't catch. I affectionately call her Charlotte.
I assume folks in Phoenix take appropriate measures to exterminate, right?

Of course our main concerns are jobs and schools. We have friends there who are doing well and are trying to talk us into moving. They have found good jobs and their kids are thriving in the Maricopa area. I have to investigate more into the schools, public, charter, any advice?

Well I'm off to scrape snow off my car. Good day to all and thanks for reading.
A BIG for the Charlotte reference. I don't think bugs are any bigger problem here than most other places. There are different KINDS of bugs, yes, but spiders are not a big issue (black widow webs are easy to identify, and if you watch for them, and keep junk out of corners outside, that's manageable. Many have lived here decades and never seen a scorpion in their house, I've seen two in 50 plus years, and one of those was almost dead.

There are good school districts and not so good ones here. My nephew lives in Maricopa, but his school age kids go to school in Chandler. Much better there. Other good schools in Tempe (2 elem districts, Kyrene being the better of the two), Gilbert, and other areas of the Valley. When you dig out of the snow, come look around a little more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area