U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 06:12 PM

90 posts, read 387,736 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, just moved here to Gilbert, AZ just a week ago and I can easily say that I want to spend the rest of my life here. I love it here and, yes, I'm aware that it is going to get blazing hot soon but I love 100 degree weather with 70% humidity in Indiana so I think I'll be just fine.

What I love about Gilbert and Arizona:

1) The weather! I've had already 4 or 5 sunny days and I can't remember the last time the sun showed itself in Indiana...plus, the temperatures have reached the 80's already. When I left Indiana, it was 19 degrees. Wow, what a difference.

2) My neighborhood. Even though Gilbert is a big town and the streets are more congested then I'm used to, my neighborhood is very quiet with little to no traffic. I like the fact that I can easily have access to a variety places (like Walmart, Target, Doctors, Dentists, etc...) And, the biggest plus: bike riding! I can do four laps around my neighborhood and get a good workout AND enjoy the view...without the traffic!

3) Palm trees everywhere! I come from Indiana so Palm Trees were nonexistent. They truly do symbolize warmth and when I saw just how many there were in Gilbert and how well everything was landscaped, I was amazed. This place is beautiful!

4) The architecture. I really like the architecture here, especially the houses in my neighborhood. I love the rooftops and the house material (what material is it exactly, btw? Adobe?) It just has this desert/tropical feel and everything is up-kept very well here. People seem to take pride in their homes here.

There's more to think about and I will add on later. But as you can see, I'm very happy with the move as it is something I've wanted to do for years and years.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 06:27 PM

4,206 posts, read 13,283,590 times
very glad you're enjoying it....

the dry air is one of the best things about Arizona...clothes dry on the line in a few minutes....no mildew, musty smells, rusty cars.....but be ready for increased humidity in July and August and 85-90 degree lows in those months!...otherwise, big temp swing day to night in this dry air.....

the palms are not native, you may know already!....just a couple remote canyons in W Az where they grow naturally....

don't know about the housing material in your particular 'hood....could be regular masonry block painted over....probably not adobe....when was your place built?...however, "stucco" finish over wood frame construction is very common here as it's a cheap way to build these days.....

Old 03-03-2011, 09:51 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,154,794 times
Don't forget to eat at Joe's Farm Grill....

Joe

Old 03-04-2011, 05:00 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,995,119 times
Second that on Joes. At Ray and Higley. Cute coffee shop right next door with beautiful bakery too.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:24 AM

16 posts, read 38,768 times
Your post really caught my attention because I have been thinking about moving to Gilbert as well. My wife and I live near South Bend, IN and we are sick of it here. This winter has been a very bad one. The cold and snow this year has really opened up our eyes and made us realize we are not where we want to be and life is too short to stay here much longer. I'm glad to know that it's beautiful there, because all I hear from people is how it's just a flat piece of desert and no beauty at all unless you are in an upscale community. How is the job situation there? The only fear we have is being able to find good jobs. Are there some nice appartment complexes in the area? We would live in one for a few months before buying a house. We would like to make sure it's the place we think it is before purchasing a house there. Are you renting a house or appartment or did you buy right away? I thought it was funny because my name is Ryan also. Maybe I'll bump into you down there one day and we can laugh about everyone that's stuck in this dump called IN. Good luck and I hope you continue to love it as much or even more than you do now.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:03 AM

64 posts, read 160,600 times
Yay! Welcome to Gilbert! We like it here too. If we had the chance to move to a different part of AZ now that we've been here about 6 years, we would still choose Gilbert.

Not sure if you have kids or not, but there is an event this weekend at the Big League Dreams sports complex at Power & Elliot. It's the Mayor's Cactus League Hot Dog contest. There will be a number of things for kids (petting zoo, bouncy house, etc.). Here's the link. Click on "About" and you can see the other activities and more information.

The Mayor

It's a great time of year right now so get outside as much as you can!

Old 03-04-2011, 10:43 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,179,246 times
Congrats on the move. The biggest adjustment your in for is not 100 degree days, it is the temps still being 100 degrees at midnight.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:56 PM

31 posts, read 56,566 times
We just moved from Lafayette, IN last week and we looooove it! Ditto to everything IN to Gilbert says! Even when warm in Indiana, it is way too humid and too much wet stuff year round. Bring on the scorch!

Old 03-04-2011, 03:02 PM

860 posts, read 2,598,781 times
We too have moved from Hoosier Land here to Gilbert AZ,last May. Welcome,Ryan,Lester, and all fellow Hoosiers. I think Gilbert is a nice fit for many Midwesterners. Its safe,has some rural areas, has green spaces,and is convenient to all parts of the East Valley and Phoenix in terms of sightseeing new activities.
I know I felt like I dodged a bullet when I heard how bad this past Winter was!

Old 03-04-2011, 04:33 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,223,738 times
Welcome to AZ! I love it here in AZ. I've lived all over the US, in Europe, Asia. Every time I arrive back to PHX it feels like HOME!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area