Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 11:41 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,469,639 times

Advertisements

I was in Phx this weekend for Spring Training and noticed on Maps that areas less then 5 or 6 miles from downtown are nothing but open land. Why is this the case? I know there are some mounntain/hills to deal with on the southside but you would think this area would have gotten some development before areas way out in the East Valley or areas in the Northwest.
Is this area an Indian reservation or is the land just way to hard to develop?

With the proximity to downtown and natural beauty, you would think this would have been the high class, scottsdale type area first.

I found it very odd, i bet phx is the #1 city that has the closest farmland/nothing land to a city center in the entire nation.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:45 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
I think a lot of that got developed over the past five years, but you are right, the trend has been slow and there is still quite a bit of farmland close to downtown. As to why, it has to do with image. The southside has a bad reputation. It didn't help things much that when it finally did develop the homes that sprouted were of the "starter" variety and then came the recession. It's now Foreclosureville and Rentaltown.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:32 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,273,758 times
Scottsdale used to be a small city separated from Phoenix by orange groves. Phoenix didn't keep expanding and finally Scottsdale was created.

Scottsdale and the East Valley have their own industries and jobs so that's where people went to live.
Downtown Phoenix is not a major job center so there is no reason for people to live close to it.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:00 PM

Pretty much every suburban city in America that is near a major city was once a seperate city seperated by fields or agriculuture. If every major city just kept expanding and expanding, we would have like 1000 cities in America.

How is Downtown Phoenix not a major job center, the State Government Offices are located here, and major companies like Pinnacle West and Freeport-McMoRan and other major companies like Apollo Group, and AvNet are very close by.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:09 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,108,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think a lot of that got developed over the past five years, but you are right, the trend has been slow and there is still quite a bit of farmland close to downtown. As to why, it has to do with image. The southside has a bad reputation. It didn't help things much that when it finally did develop the homes that sprouted were of the "starter" variety and then came the recession. It's now Foreclosureville and Rentaltown.
Wow.

Drive west on Broadway from 16 ST onward.

Yikes!

Scary on the north side, but ya see a couple of brand new subs on the south side.

Then ya get the junkyards.

Lots of junkyards.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:14 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,273,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
How is Downtown Phoenix not a major job center, the State Government Offices are located here, and major companies like Pinnacle West and Freeport-McMoRan and other major companies like Apollo Group, and AvNet are very close by.
Here's a link to a 2010 employment density map. Downtown Phoenix does not have a higher density than Tempe and South Scottsdale.

http://www.gpec.org/media/docs/Maps/2010_Employment_Density.pdf (broken link)

If you have a theory why farmland close to downtown Phoenix sits undeveloped please share it.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:44 PM

Tempe and South Scottsdale are pretty close to downtown though, so that whole coordior is pretty dense. Tempe and Scottsdale probably have a lot of satellite office type companies located there.

The area i'm talking about is around 51st ave and esteralla dr and areas south of that and around riggs rd and 347 and Pecos Rd/202 but this map might have answered my question to why that area isn't developed and i noticed it says Gila River Indian Community on the map.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:09 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Tempe and South Scottsdale are pretty close to downtown though, so that whole coordior is pretty dense. Tempe and Scottsdale probably have a lot of satellite office type companies located there.

The area i'm talking about is around 51st ave and esteralla dr and areas south of that and around riggs rd and 347 and Pecos Rd/202 but this map might have answered my question to why that area isn't developed and i noticed it says Gila River Indian Community on the map.
If that's the area you meant, then yes, that's the answer to your question. Thread closed. Thanks, everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area