Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 08:55 AM

6 posts, read 8,239 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am relocating to the Scottsdale area, working very near the Scottsdale Municipal Airport. I am trying to decide on the best area to live.

So, considering my work location ...

- From a commuting standpoint what is the most advantagous place to live?
- Are there any areas to completely stay away from due to nightmare traffic congestion?
- Any areas that fall in between (not horrible but not great)?

Any other general input would be GREATLY appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 09:26 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
What's your budget?

I'd live in Scottsdale if it's within your budget. Lots of nice areas within easy commute distance of Scottsdale Airport to choose from.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
What's your budget?
Budget should not be an issue (looking to spend in the high 400s to mid-500s).

Old 03-09-2011, 10:12 AM

Then you have NO problem. The further north and northeast you go, the more traffic issues you may have, but you have too many options to even list here, without leaving the city of Scottsdale. Best of luck with your new job and home.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:25 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
Virtually anywhere within a few miles of the Scottsdale airport will be great. In your budget you will have no issues finding a nice home.

Your next concern then will be lifestyle. What type of home do wish? Townhome with little maintenance? There are some wonderful townhomes in DC Ranch. Single family in development? Grayhawk might work. Want to live on a lake? Scottsdale Ranch is neat. Want something more urban like, but still suburban? Kierland area is cool.

What type of activities do you enjoy? Do you want to be near parks, downtown night life, hiking, biking? Golf course? Are schools important?

You just need to zero in on your wants and needs.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:41 AM

Wow, you people are so HELPFUL. I really mean that ... Let me focus on a couple of areas:

1) One area we are targeting is to the North (e.g., Cave Creek, etc.) which looks like the main commute artery for my work is Scottsdale Blvd. How would be the commute if I lived up there?

2) Another area is Gilbert which is more to the south. It looks like the main commute artery for my work is the Loop 101. How would be the commute if I lived down there?

Old 03-09-2011, 10:54 AM

Gilbert's a very nice place, but if I'm moving anyway, and my job is near Scottsdale Airport, I'm not moving to Gilbert. The 101 can be heavy, especially, for some reason, southbound in the afternoon, from north Scottsdale. It can start backing up as early as 3:00. Northbound seems to be spottier as far as the heavy traffic, but I've come out of north Scottsdale many times heading south on the 101, and hate it; personally, if I had to do it daily, I'd move.

I don't know what Scottsdale Road's like at commuting times up there, but I'll bet someone else does. I would not like having to rely on one road to get where I'm going. One bad wreck and you're stuck. I wouldn't go too far north, but that's just me.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:03 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Gilbert's a very nice place, but if I'm moving anyway, and my job is near Scottsdale Airport, I'm not moving to Gilbert. The 101 can be heavy, especially, for some reason, southbound in the afternoon, from north Scottsdale. It can start backing up as early as 3:00. Northbound seems to be spottier as far as the heavy traffic, but I've come out of north Scottsdale many times heading south on the 101, and hate it; personally, if I had to do it daily, I'd move.

I don't know what Scottsdale Road's like at commuting times up there, but I'll bet someone else does. I would not like having to rely on one road to get where I'm going. One bad wreck and you're stuck. I wouldn't go too far north, but that's just me.
I commute daily from near Kierland Commons and use Scottsdale Road to get home in North Phoenix. Traffic starts getting heavy as early as 3:30, and increases by the minute after that. I agree with your experiences with the 101 southbound, as well. It's very slow-going and unpleasant in the afternoons.

If the o/p will be working near the airport, I would definitely not move to Gilbert, even though I really enjoyed living there.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:24 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,167 times
I did the commute from Mesa-Gilbert border to Scottsdale near Shea just a couple miles south of Airpark. No way would I ever do that again. Ugly. Save yourself the aggravation if you can. Gilbert is nice and all, but the 101 is simply...awful.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:20 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
[quote=01gt eibach;18202064] One area we are targeting is to the North (e.g., Cave Creek, etc.) which looks like the main commute artery for my work is Scottsdale Blvd. How would be the commute if I lived up there?

QUOTE]

The Cave Creek area is very nice and may represent a good value (I am prejudiced, I live there). However, the commute down to the airpark is about 20 miles one way down Scottsdale Rd. Not outrageous, but still 40 miles a day.

On the other hand, you have the advantage of the lower taxes from the Cave Creek school district which will offset some of the expenses to commute.

Still way better than a trip up the 101.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area