U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 12:37 PM

83 posts, read 174,911 times

Advertisements

Can anybody list the pros/cons of the Chandler area high schools?

From what I researched there is:

Chandler High : Chandler High

Hamilton High : Hamilton High

Perry High School (Gilbert) : Perry High

Last edited by observer53; 03-23-2011 at 12:59 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 01:00 PM

17,851 posts, read 40,508,038 times
Hamilton is a very large school with a really excellent reputation. I don't know much about the other two.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Hamilton is a very large school with a really excellent reputation. I don't know much about the other two.
Yea I think I saw that it was close to 3500 students!! Damn

Old 03-23-2011, 04:22 PM

4,512 posts, read 8,497,220 times
Hamilton High School is the highest rated, and one of the tops in the state, ranking up there with several private schools. They also excel in athletics. Perry High School is a Chandler district High School in Gilbert that is brand new, but already ranked very high. They don't have a long track record but are already doing well, so it's a great school. Perry is smaller than Chandler and Hamilton because it is in an area still growing. Chandler High School is in the downtown Chandler area, a very old high school that still ranks pretty high, but not up there with Hamilton or Perry. A school you missed is Basha High School in SE Chandler that ranks pretty close to Hamilton, this is also a very large high school in a newer, growing high-income area.

There's also Valley Christian, Hamilton Prep and Seton Catholic for private schools, and Corona del Sol is on the Tempe/Chandler border (in Tempe) and draws many students from West Chandler. Corona del Sol is also a large school and scores very highly.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:26 PM

4,512 posts, read 8,497,220 times
BTW, Chandler High schools are also dominant on the football field. I live near Hamilton and I take my son to many games and he has a blast. Between Hamilton, Chandler and Basha, you're looking at consistent top-5 ranked teams in the state every year, with Hamilton almost always #1. Perry is new, but already went to the playoffs in their lower level bracket and have a great coach. Hamilton/Chandler have had their games broadcast on ESPNU with 10,000 fans in the stands. It's a big deal out here, if you're into that sort of thing

Old 03-24-2011, 06:38 AM

I did read the reviews and they all looked decent. I stumbled across a review a student actually wrote which was nice but it was a few years old. It was in regards to Hamilton and he didn't like it. He had went there his Sophmore year and commented that it was over-populated and drugs were a problem.

My son will be playing tennis and in wrestling.

I'd like to know a bit more about the demographics of the schools. Education, Crime, Races..etc.

Have you heard or know about any cons about any of them?

Old 03-24-2011, 06:40 AM

[mod edit-interpose: Add to the list:]

Basha High School: Basha High (http://www.chandler.k12.az.us/bhs/site/default.asp - broken link)

Last edited by observer53; 03-24-2011 at 06:50 AM..

Old 03-24-2011, 06:48 AM

You can only edit your own posts for 45-60 minutes after you post them.

In any of the schools in Gilbert, if your son keeps active in sports, goes to class and does his assignments, he will be fine. Large high schools are like neighborhoods. Might there be some people living in a neighborhood that use drugs, etc.? Sure. But, if one uses common sense, minds his or her own business, and associates with people who aren't involved in that activity and avoids the others, it's a perfectly livable neighborhood.

The experience of one student, assuming it's true, posted online doesn't mean much.

What do you want to know about "crime" and "races" IN the high schools? In schools that large, there are bound to be students who have been involved in the court system. Same discussion as above applies to them. As far as "races" I am assuming most of the schools reflect the demographics of the attendance areas. Chandler High might have a larger Hispanic population than the others, but I suspect they are all majority Caucasian, with Hispanics next, and some Asians and Blacks.

Old 03-24-2011, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You can only edit your own posts for 45-60 minutes after you post them.

In any of the schools in Gilbert, if your son keeps active in sports, goes to class and does his assignments, he will be fine. Large high schools are like neighborhoods. Might there be some people living in a neighborhood that use drugs, etc.? Sure. But, if one uses common sense, minds his or her own business, and associates with people who aren't involved in that activity and avoids the others, it's a perfectly livable neighborhood.

The experience of one student, assuming it's true, posted online doesn't mean much.

What do you want to know about "crime" and "races" IN the high schools? In schools that large, there are bound to be students who have been involved in the court system. Same discussion as above applies to them. As far as "races" I am assuming most of the schools reflect the demographics of the attendance areas. Chandler High might have a larger Hispanic population than the others, but I suspect they are all majority Caucasian, with Hispanics next, and some Asians and Blacks.
Okay thanks.....

I agree with much of what your said. Even in our SMALL community we have drugs and kids with issues. My son is not into any of it.

He will be driving a NICE truck (custom 72 chevy) and I'd hate to have him enter a school where it's FULL of haters.

I'm from a larger city that had 3 high-schools and can tell you that they were ranked. One was a more upscale school, the other had your typical students, and the 3rd was for dropouts of both of the other 2 high schools. I'd like to see a non-biased breakdown like that.

What highschools are most desired and thought of in respect to "Wanting" to go there.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James1975 View Post
Okay thanks.....

I agree with much of what your said. Even in our SMALL community we have drugs and kids with issues. My son is not into any of it.

He will be driving a NICE truck (custom 72 chevy) and I'd hate to have him enter a school where it's FULL of haters.

I'm from a larger city that had 3 high-schools and can tell you that they were ranked. One was a more upscale school, the other had your typical students, and the 3rd was for dropouts of both of the other 2 high schools. I'd like to see a non-biased breakdown like that.

What highschools are most desired and thought of in respect to "Wanting" to go there.
I don't think the schools in Chandler break down that way, but I'm sure there are folks here with kids in them who can address that for you. Good luck!

Last edited by observer53; 03-25-2011 at 07:56 AM.. Reason: Said Gilbert, meant Chandler *smacks forehead*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>