U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-27-2011, 11:23 AM
 
5 posts, read 13,538 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I have seen this website through a few searches on Google in the past. I finally have a question that could be posted here on the site, so here I go...

I am a Texas native, lived in Dallas for 23 years. I recently moved to Lubbock in 2009 to go to school. When I moved to Lubbock, it was somewhat of a culture shock to me. I thought big cities in Texas were all nearly the same, not the case. I guess you can say overall, Texas is a decent place to live, cost wise. Though, I feel it lacks scenery and diversity. When I look at pictures of AZ Vs TX (I know, not the best way to make a decision) I enjoy looking at AZ way more. The mountains alone seem attractive. Anyway...the real dilemma...

I am a recent December college graduate in the Management Information Systems field looking for web development, business / systems analysis line of work. In Lubbock, I am definitely finding it difficult to find work. I am considering moving to a bigger city in order to have a better chance in landing a job. I currently work retail, so anywhere I move I can get a store transfer and have a job to pay the bills.

Cities for consideration, though, I would say I definitely need to visit AZ to make a wise decision here...

1. Dallas (Moving Back Home)
2. Phoenix
3. Austin
4. Tempe
5. San Antonio
6. Scottsdale
7. Glendale

I would really like to get away from Texas, but many resources (not saying they are reliable resources) say I should stay here in my situation. Its either the Phoenix area and its cities I would like to venture into, or back to the DFW Metroplex I go.

Questions to answer...
What does IT employment look like out in Arizona?
What are the reason it would be a bad choice to leave Texas for Arizona?
What is the state of the state of Arizona? Good or bad?
What other things should I consider being a new college graduate and trying to make such a move?

I know this post was kind of all over there place. If you need me to provide any further information, please post and let me know.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 03-27-2011, 11:46 AM
 
10,719 posts, read 19,324,507 times
Reputation: 10000
I would stay in Texas if I was in your position. The economy has been improving in Arizona but Texas still added over 200,000 jobs. The economy is far better in Texas. I prefer Arizona over Texas but I've been fortunate to have a job that allows me to remain here. Two years from now, I will probably feel differently but for now stay in Texas.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-27-2011, 04:01 PM
 
9,893 posts, read 10,554,658 times
Reputation: 22018
Cities like Austin have a lot more It jobs for new graduates, than anywhere in Texas.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-27-2011, 04:08 PM
 
10,719 posts, read 19,324,507 times
Reputation: 10000
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Cities like Austin have a lot more It jobs for new graduates, than anywhere in Texas.
Honestly, you don't have to work in the IT industry to have an IT job. Dallas and Houston are still far better markets than Austin with regard to IT jobs because they have a lot more Fortune 500 companies and companies in general that use IT services. Yeah, Austin is more known for IT because it's job market isn't very diversified (like Phoenix) and it's market heavily slanted toward IT but that doesn't mean it has more IT jobs.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-28-2011, 10:12 AM
 
5 posts, read 13,538 times
Reputation: 16
Yes. Also, Austin was not on the radar as much as Dallas because I am a Texas Tech graduate. May sound a bit ridiculous, but I am sure many companies would select a Texas graduate over a Texas Tech graduate in Austin.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-29-2011, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
78 posts, read 98,133 times
Reputation: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by biljohns View Post
Yes. Also, Austin was not on the radar as much as Dallas because I am a Texas Tech graduate. May sound a bit ridiculous, but I am sure many companies would select a Texas graduate over a Texas Tech graduate in Austin.
As someone that's been in IT for over a decade and been in the position of interviewing candidates from the employers side, let me tell you, 99% of the time at least, that's quite far from the truth. In reality, people rarely care where you went to school, just whether you have the degree.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-30-2011, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
426 posts, read 1,244,465 times
Reputation: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by biljohns View Post
I am a Texas native, lived in Dallas for 23 years. I recently moved to Lubbock in 2009 to go to school. When I moved to Lubbock, it was somewhat of a culture shock to me. I thought big cities in Texas were all nearly the same, not the case. I guess you can say overall, Texas is a decent place to live, cost wise. Though, I feel it lacks scenery and diversity. When I look at pictures of AZ Vs TX (I know, not the best way to make a decision) I enjoy looking at AZ way more. The mountains alone seem attractive. Anyway...the real dilemma...

I am a recent December college graduate in the Management Information Systems field looking for web development, business / systems analysis line of work. In Lubbock, I am definitely finding it difficult to find work. I am considering moving to a bigger city in order to have a better chance in landing a job. I currently work retail, so anywhere I move I can get a store transfer and have a job to pay the bills.


I would really like to get away from Texas, but many resources (not saying they are reliable resources) say I should stay here in my situation. Its either the Phoenix area and its cities I would like to venture into, or back to the DFW Metroplex I go.

Questions to answer...
What does IT employment look like out in Arizona?
What are the reason it would be a bad choice to leave Texas for Arizona?
What is the state of the state of Arizona? Good or bad?
What other things should I consider being a new college graduate and trying to make such a move?
DFW Native here, born and lived there for 35 years (undergrad UNT, MBA UTD). Lived in Phoenix for two years, currently an IT Project Manager for a Fortune 15 company.

If you think Texas lacks in diversity, you haven't seen anything until you move to Arizona. True story, the young daughter of my wife's friend totally flipped out when an African American visited their house last week. There just aren't that many in Arizona. Aside from Hispanics, you aren't going to see the diversity around town that you might see in Dallas or one of the larger cities.

Aside from the lack of diversity, I love it here. I live on far north end of town and have awesome views in just about any direction I look. It is hard for me to judge the job market in your particular situation. I personally just started looking for a new job over the weekend and contacted by at least 8 recruiters over the last two days. That being said, I have some very specialized IT project management skills that are not easy to find.

What I would suggest is to leverage any alumni contacts you might have in Phoenix. Does Tech have an alumni group in Phoenix? Were you in any clubs or fraternities that might have an alumni group here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down View Post
As someone that's been in IT for over a decade and been in the position of interviewing candidates from the employers side, let me tell you, 99% of the time at least, that's quite far from the truth. In reality, people rarely care where you went to school, just whether you have the degree.
Don't underestimate the affection people have in Austin for UT. Given all things being equal, a UT grad in Austin is going to hire another UT grad over someone from Texas Tech. That city lives and breathes burnt orange.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-30-2011, 12:56 PM
 
5 posts, read 13,538 times
Reputation: 16
I have decided to stay here in TX. I may later try a visit and move to AZ, but right now is not my time.

When I went to Tech, I wasn't apart of any organizations. I have a background in web development and analysis, but am finding it hard to get my "foot" in the door. It seems I always get to the final round of interviewing, and never get selected. I am down to zero leads, and am starting from square one.

I know this is unrelated to the thread topic, but does anyone have any advice or leads for IT positions in Texas?

I nearly just want to give up. (rejection)

BTW, in Austin, TX...

Burnt Orange > Scarlett Red...LOL
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top