U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2007, 01:41 AM

2 posts, read 9,420 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I'm thinking about moving to North Scottsdale from the west side and I was wondering if anyone had anything good (or bad) to say about any apartment complexes in North Scottsdale. The following apartment complexes are my favorites so far (the ones I'm most considering), so while you can comment on any apartment complex, I'm especially looking for anyone who knows anything about these:

1. Alexan at Frank Lloyd Wright
2. Paragon at Kierland
3. Vintage
4. Desert Club

Thanks so much!

John
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 01:45 AM

3,632 posts, read 15,416,837 times
You may want to check out apartmentratings.com for some insight. They are probably all the same. I lived in apts in the northeast phx/n. scottsdale (all luxury) for 10 years and they all started off good and then went downhill with complaints. Apartments are apartments, but at least your looking in a good area.

Old 07-31-2007, 12:13 AM

6,693 posts, read 11,801,841 times
I can't recall the name of the apartment complex but a friend of mine lives in the one at the corner of Kierland ave and 71st street and she is very happy there. I thought it might help...

Old 08-01-2007, 02:43 AM

70 posts, read 229,909 times
The Legend at Kierland is great. So is The Tradition at Kierland. Both on Greenway Parkway across the street from The Kierland Commons and The Westin Resort.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:03 AM

20 posts, read 61,858 times
kierland is pretty

Old 08-04-2007, 06:35 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,951,175 times
Kierland also has some awesome restaurants and shopping! ;-)

johncpatterson: I think I replied on your other post (dont remember). In all my research (I am relocating in September), I heard good things about Alexan. It was on my list but I didn't visit there tho because before I got there I had already made up my mind. I am moving to Desert Club which is also on your list (actually my least starts 8/10 even tho I won't physically be there until 9/1). I like it. And most of the reviews on Desert Club I found seemed to be positive.

Little note I learned about reading online reviews: Read them all and see what the real "trend" is. Ie if you have 30 reviews and 26 of them are pretty good but the other 4 are horrible, you are fairly safe in assuming that there are definitely things those 4 people arent telling you. Like "XYZ apartment stinks. The management is horrible. They charge you all kinds of extra fees they dont tell you about and raise your rent." What they really meant to say: "I broke my lease or violated some term of the lease and they fined me." Or something.

Also highly recommend you actually go to the apartments and see/touch/feel/hear them yourself. Pictures can mislead. One of the places I would have considered--->ended up in the flight path of whatever the smaller local airport out there is and while I was there was all kinds of overhead flight noise, not something I would appreciate on a daily basis. Their "ads" didnt mention this tho.

If you want to know anything about my experience with Desert Club, just let me know. I will post back even once I make the move with updates. So far, it has been SUPER! The day I visited, I told them I would have made a decision by the following day. They said "The leasing office is technically closed the next 2 days because we have a training conference, but we will be checking voice mail and make whatever arrangements to be here so you can come in." I needed to "make arrangements" because the following day I was flying back to Cleveland. They hadnt called by 1 pm Thursday (lol! I am a little impatient) so I went there. They opened up and went through the forms and etc with me, helped me pick a unit, and told me within a few days they would let me know if my application was approved. They called me Saturday morning. They faxed me the lease and told me I could return it by fax--->just get it notarized since I wasnt physically there. (I work in a bank so we have a zillion notaries.) So far so good! They have a website you can use to hookup all your utilities in one place even. I used their website to do the electric. The gas company it says you have to call (they must not have an online "plugin" directly to the gas co)-but I went directly to the gas company website and did it from there. The cable I will do on my own-->I already have Cox cable here in Ohio and their office is right around the corner from me, so it will be easier for me to do that way. Desert Club knows I will not be there when my movers arrive, so they will help them. I also wanted someone there to make sure my utilities are really on before I get there (I wont be there to see it if like the gas folks leave a "We came but couldnt finish" note on the door)-->and they said they would.

I like the unit I got. I got a garage (try to get one if you can-every degree cooler you can keep your car in summer is a plus). French doors to the balcony. The community is newer, from what I recall I think it was constructed in 2003 or 2004. They gave me a great deal under market rate, because they told me it actually is harder to rent 2 br units than 1 br units. Essentially had I gone for a smaller 1 br, my rent would have been higher lol! It is close to Kierland (maybe a mile), close to the 101, not far from Desert Ridge shopping/restaurants (has to be less than 4-5 miles). Not far from Mayo clinic. And only 10 miles straight down Scottsdale road from my job.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:15 PM

7,285 posts, read 15,232,972 times
Anything at Kierland is a plus in my book because of the walkability and close proximity to so many things.

I live at Kierland and it offers so many eating, drinking, and shopping opportunities within walking distance, that I drive twice a week. Kierland isn't in Scottsdale, it is in Phoenix but has a Scottsdale ZIP code so they kind of ride along with the Scottsdale name. I'm from back east so the endless spending competitions and saline boobs in North Scottsdale are very foreign (and often annoying), but other than that, the ability to have an upscale residence in a walkable area is nice, as the valley is so spread out. Lots of restaurants are chains, which are not my favorite things, but at least I go out to eat and drink for an evening without having to worry about how I'm getting home, not a problem on foot.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:56 PM

6,693 posts, read 11,801,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
I'm from back east so the endless spending competitions and saline boobs in North Scottsdale are very foreign (and often annoying), but other than that, the ability to have an upscale residence in a walkable area is nice,
I agree with all these. I didn't really read much into everyone's talk about how much people in Phoenix love shopping until I relocated here and found myself going from store to store just to pass the time or avoid the sun between 11am and 6pm....lol. I like the heat and outdoors but if you have nothing to do, shopping indoors comes naturally in a way.
I still don't get the brand name, luxury shopping though, also there are way too many implants in that neigborhood for my taste...then again upscale (often overpriced) shopping locations are like magnets to implant-types, aren't they? lol

Old 07-29-2010, 11:30 PM

2 posts, read 14,392 times
Smile You can't find a sweety like this for under 1000.in North Scottsdale

Hi John,
I just posted my apartment for sublet in North Scottsdale. I live in the Sante Fe Apartments off Via Linda and FLW. The area is great as you know, and I resigned my lease a year ago for eighteen months after already living here for a year. This lease is coming to an end by Dec. 1st. They upgraded my place when they tried to make condos out of them, but their deal fell through and I lucked out with 18" tile in the entry, kitchen/dining area, and bathroom/laundry. It has five windows in the living area and kitchen/dining area with two opposing arcadia doors in the dining and bedroom area for access. The kitchen has white tile counters and the appliances are white as well. The stovetop is glass and the cabinets are birch. Maybe you can try it for a couple months while you're checking out the ones you listed. Everyone on your list is quite a bit more expensive than mine and you can access the community from any one of them. Hope you'll take a moment to contact me. Thanks.

-High rentals
1. Alexan at Frank Lloyd Wright
2. Paragon at Kierland
3. Vintage
4. Desert Club

Old 08-01-2010, 11:05 PM

804 posts, read 1,857,140 times
I used to live at the Tradition at Kierland, I loved it there, the pool was amazing as well, which is the main reason i chose it over the Legend, they are similar prices, both next to the golf course/across from the Westin and right down from Kierland.
Also have a safeway, and Zipps bar/grill less than a half mile away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: