U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 11:25 AM

9,446 posts, read 10,988,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggyfly View Post
I have a younger family, Im 35, my wife is 31, and my 4 kids range from 8 to 0. My only concern with the area is that we will not be well liked being young. Does anyone find this to be true? I love the area, and It would put me close to where I work while feeling like we are still in a small town like we are now. I have lived in places that hated us just because we were young and had kids. Yes, kids are loud and like to play. What can you do lol!

Kids can be loud and like to play, but they can also be taught to be respectful of those around them that they may be disturbing and to keep the noise at a reasonable level. If that is your issue, then it may not matter where you move.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:07 PM

41 posts, read 26,622 times
I love Gold Canyon, I live in Peralta trails. The views are beautiful,a large abundance of wildlife and not far from any large stores even though you're in the desert. The HOA/CCRs can be a pain in the ass, but all the homes and common areas are meticulously kept.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2018, 01:39 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,202,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Kids can be loud and like to play, but they can also be taught to be respectful of those around them that they may be disturbing and to keep the noise at a reasonable level.
This right hear..teach your kids to be respectful of others, and they will grow up to be better citizens, there is a time a place to be loud and rowdy, and times NOT to be..Dont be afraid to be a parent and control your children..

Old 09-15-2018, 11:24 AM

17,636 posts, read 23,412,818 times
I normally don't respond to reactivated phantom threads, but I can add a different perspective to the original topic if this thread.

We lived in Phoenix for 25+ years, owning homes in Chandler and far East mesa. We moved to Raleigh in 2012. Our current ages are 61 and 75. We have friends who have owned a home in GC for 12+ years, and we visit frequently, including staying at the house for 4-5 days annually since 2012. Our stay this year was for about two weeks. Here are MY experiences and opinions:

I haven't spent so much time in a car since the last time we drove cross country. The mileage we put on our rental is nuts, and organizing our lives with only one vehicle has required some big compromises.

It's beautiful out here, quiet and very peaceful. The scenery IS gorgeous. But there's very little commercial business. Want to go out to dinner, a movie, a gym, or a grocery store other than (an unusually bad) Bascha's? Be prepared to drive. Want to have a drink with dinner? Reconsider. Need a new car? Get a hybrid.

Yeah, I know. There's a bad Mexican restaurant, two mediocre Chinese take aways, and a couple of breakfast type cafes. There ARE a couple of okay locals type bars. But if you aren't a homebody, this really isn't the place for you.

We've been here and driven around the area for 10+ days and have yet to see a child, anyone under 50+ or someone walking a dog. This is not necessarily a negative - with the exception of the dog thing, that would be our preferred demographic. But for a family with young kids or a senior who wants a mixed age community, look elsewhere.

The no streetlight thing and no houselights make me crazy. Probably is a partial explanation for why nobody walks their dog. Regardless of the lack of security resulting from dark streets, there's no question that break ins, etc are very infrequent. (And the stars at night are lovely.)

Our friends tell us that a large percentage of the home owners are snowbirds, and admit that this limits their social life and friendships.

We've not seen a scorpion or heard a coyote. We've enjoyed visits from a cardinal and plenty of other birds and bunnies. The desert landscaping makes maintenance a breeze and in years past, when we've visited in the spring, it's just beautiful.

Good and bad points for everything, including GC. It's heaven for some people, and very far from perfect for others.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 09-15-2018 at 11:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area